Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright. Someone has to know how to get the grill off the 15+ models without removal of the bumper. Velossa claims you can do it. Being we have 40+ people buying these right now, it could save a lot of time for everyone if we had a how-to on doing it. I'd imagine you just have to stick your finger through the grill and pull tabs away, but I can't double check that right now. Can anyone verify??

·
Registered
217 Posts
I was one of those 40+ people, and I own a 2016. I would also love to hear an easier way to install the the Snorkel. I wasn't looking forward to taking the whole bumper off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
You can just 'yank' our grill out, it just clips/snaps in.

I'm just going to remove my bumper because i have some other work to do, going to shave my grill and clean up the crash bar and mount a LED light bar.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
You can just 'yank' our grill out, it just clips in.

I'm just going to remove my bumper because i have some other work to do, going to shave my grill and clean up the crash bar and mount a LED light bar.
I am guessing straight away from the front of the car? Or is an upwards/sideways type of yank?

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Won't break any tabs? Or with luck it won't break them?

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
it 'shouldn't' since that is how its meant to come off, but you know how that goes.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
it 'shouldn't' since that is how its meant to come off, but you know how that goes.
this times 10.

nothing SHOULD break, but with taking almost anything apart, there is a chance that the strength the clip is held in by could be more than the force it takes to break the clips and taking the bumper off and carefully releasing the clips from the back is just an easy way to better guarantee that you don't break anything. also it should be noted that the clips that hold the grille on are known for being so weak that a lot of 15+ cars have problems with parts of the grille popping out on its own and not staying put like it should.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have removed my bumper twice now, and one was for this install. I imagine that cutting off a square hole on that plastirubber thing would be very difficult without removing the bumper. Im not saying its impossible, but it would be very difficult and more chances of messing up.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Had the bumper off my brother's 2017 in about 20 min. Its super easy and not likely to break the grill yanking on it.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Had the bumper off my brother's 2017 in about 20 min. Its super easy and not likely to break the grill yanking on it.
I popped my grille out in about 5 minutes and didn't have to worry about scratching my paint on my bumper. Its really not rocket science just take your time and don't go all HULK on ripping the grille out and you won't have any problems. That being said I'll be removing my bumper to install an intercooler here in the next few weeks anyways lol.

·
Registered
101 Posts
We did intercooler at the same time. Thats why we took the entire bumper off.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
i can just see it taking a lot longer to NOT pull the bumper off and trying to trim the hole with next to no room. just spend the 15-20 mins to pull the bumper off and do the damn thing.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I really don't understand the mentality of do it fast and probably break something instead of doing it right mentality. lol. It takes less than 1/2 hr to do it right, just take the front clip off and do it right people...geesh, its not hard.
The grille is designed to be removed and replaced separately from the bumper so how is removing it doing anything wrong exactly?? I took my time and broke no clips and had NO issues and it took me under 5 minutes to pop the grill out. You can also pull that rubber piece out you need to cut through the grille opening. I dont see how pulling a bumper and potentially scratching your paint (or breaking a clip on a bumper and not have it line back up right on re install) is any better than popping the grille out? Either way it seems to be a preference thing regardless. Also my grille has not "popped out" since I did this install over a month ago.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The grille is designed to be removed and replaced separately from the bumper so how is removing it doing anything wrong exactly?? I took my time and broke no clips and had NO issues and it took me under 5 minutes to pop the grill out. You can also pull that rubber piece out you need to cut through the grille opening. I dont see how pulling a bumper and potentially scratching your paint (or breaking a clip on a bumper and not have it line back up right on re install) is any better than popping the grille out? Either way it seems to be a preference thing regardless. Also my grille has not "popped out" since I did this install over a month ago.
This x100, the grill pops right out and the rubber shroud pops right out, trimming the shroud off the car is a piece of cake. I had no issues last year installing my snorkel with the bumper staying on the car. Don't see the grill tabs breaking on a 15 up car, maybe if it was 10+ years old but its new enough tabs breaking is a non issue.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This x100, the grill pops right out and the rubber shroud pops right out, trimming the shroud off the car is a piece of cake. I had no issues last year installing my snorkel with the bumper staying on the car. Don't see the grill tabs breaking on a 15 up car, maybe if it was 10+ years old but its new enough tabs breaking is a non issue.
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm gonna try popping the grill out I believe.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I find it easiest to start at the corners, stick your fingers in there and use your thumbs to press against the bumper cover for leverage, from there just keep doing the same thing working around the grille one tab at a time. Probably a PITA to get it out the first time, especially if you haven't shaved the back of your grille, but it should be doable.

I imagine that cutting off a square hole on that plastirubber thing would be very difficult without removing the bumper. Im not saying its impossible, but it would be very difficult and more chances of messing up.
That's how I installed mine the first time around, it was a major pain cutting that thing and to top if off there was a wire running near that shroud thing that I didn't realize was there and almost sliced.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Alright. Someone has to know how to get the grill off the 15+ models without removal of the bumper. Velossa claims you can do it. Being we have 40+ people buying these right now, it could save a lot of time for everyone if we had a how-to on doing it. I'd imagine you just have to stick your finger through the grill and pull tabs away, but I can't double check that right now. Can anyone verify??
What do you mean? Just pull it off... It won't break

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Popped the grill out! Done! Thanks guys.

Attachments

Reactions: Samh
1 - 20 of 29 Posts