Ford Focus ST Forum banner

Green intern Questions...

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  davesST 
#1 · (Edited)
Green Filter Questions...

Couple rookie questions about green filter from JBR...

It is designed for thr stock air box, right! It fits perfect. And you guys use the clamp that came with it, or just swap it out with the stock filter and leave it be?

No shortcomings from having the end of the filter open into the (hot) engine compartment?

Thanks guys.

#2 ·

It is designed for thr stock air box, right! It fits perfect. And you guys use the clamp that came with it, or just swap it out with the stock filter and leave it be?

No shortcomings from having the end of the filter open into the (hot) engine compartment?

Thanks guys.
I don't recall a clamp, it's pressure fitted and not going anywhere.

Green Filter USA sells a cap for the filter that will stop the heat issue. I cap mine all summer and any time there's heavy rain. Get it here: http://www.greenfilterusa.com/store/18095

Also, JBR doesn't have the best price, so if you don't mind your green filter actually being green in color (unlike JBRs special grey one) try here: 2007-2015 Ford Focus Air Filters - Custom Fit - Green Filters 7159 - Green Air Filters Use code 424720 and the filter is $48.78 with free shipping currently.

#3 ·

Thanks guys.
I use the clamp thats on it.

The whole "hot engine air" subject is debatable. You will get more tubo sounds with the open end, and even more sound without an airbox lid. To most people it is worth the loss of a hp or two in the summer, lol.

If you plan on running a snorkle, then you should run with the airbox closed up. To make use of the ram air effect and cooler intake air temps, at the cost of turbo sounds.

#4 · (Edited)
I don't plan any other mods, just in the stock air box. I am unwilling to trade hp for some turbo sounds...so guess I need an end cap. Already bought my JBR one, but thanks for all the info.

With the end capped, is the filter even worth it over stock in a stock air box? Maybe? Debatable?

#5 ·
Exactly, it does filter a bit better. It's not that crazy though.

I cut the plastic end off my OEM paper filter, and use that as a cap. Not that the green filter caps are that expensive, lol.

#13 ·
I got sucked into the CAI hype on my F150 one time. Open filter in the engine bay. Had an issue where if you sat at a light for more than a couple minutes, it was a dog to get moving. Became a noticeable problem really bad when twining my trailer. Had some summer days where I almost couldn't get her going. It was horrible performance until up to speed. Looong story short, it was the hot engine bay air, exhasberated tremendously in stop and go traffic or summer time. Put stock intake back on...problem solved. I think I'll be using the end cap!

#16 · (Edited)
I use the AEM dry filter. You still get some extra induction noise due to the high flow design. I have the Mountune filter, which is the exact same thing as the Green filter (same K&N made filter, just red filter media not green). Mine did not sit properly in the little slots at the end of the airbox. I could get it pretty close, but it still sat a bit funny. I did not notice a big difference in induction noise over the AEM, just a marginal increase in turbo noise. I believe the AEM filters better (my opinion), and I like the closed end. After noticing small amounts of water built up near the airbox after driving in heavy rain, I didn't want to chance having the Mountune filter suck up the water from the open end. I put the AEM back in, and am not planning to swap back anytime soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.