Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. So I ran the green filter with the lid off in my ST for over a year and I honestly loved it, but I wanted to give the AEM DryFlow a chance as it supposedly reduces the amount of particulates that could possibly make it into the engine. We could go on and on about oil vs dry, lid on vs lid off, and "just use the paper filter! blah blah blah, but anyways here are my thoughts.

2015 ST1
Stock Intake Pipe
Air Box Lid Off

Green Filter: I really do like this filter a lot. The conical design allows for more airflow as well as it being a oil based filter it tends to allow more air to pass through the mesh while the oil is supposed to trap more particulates. With this filter I could hear the waste gate more and often times it would sound like a mini bov as it would give off a slight whistle which I loved. The construction and design are solid. I feel like the throttle response was just slightly better with the green filter, but that could be my perception and my brain connecting the noise it makes to throttle, but either way I maintain that I did feel a slight difference. Cleaning and re-oiling an oil based filter can be messy, but I live in socal so 1-2 times a year is all the filter needs to stay clean.

AEM DRyFlow: It is pretty much an oil free K&N filter. It did actually fit better than the green filter as far as slotting into the air box better. The green filter needed a circular clamp to keep the filter locked into place (not a big deal). It is not as loud as the greenie and I don't seem to hear the waste gate as much and the whistle is pretty much gone. For me this is more of a piece of mind mod because it does prevent the possibility of more particulates entering the engine which over time can cause issues. I hate to say it, but I trust a Honda engine more than a Ford.

Between the two I think it comes down to if you have a preference between oil vs dry and more noise vs less. I think in the long run there is no real performance difference between the two and I may eventually switch back to the green filter, but once I got catless I probably will only hear the exhaust anyways haha.

TL;DR: Green filter = more noise and possibly better throttle response. DryFlow = better at stopping particulates and is less maintenance.

Reactions: Manoah

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
I have the AEM in my ST. When I purchased my Mountune intake it included a Mountune filter (which as you know is the same as the Geen filter, just not green). I didn't like the way the Mountune filter fit in the box. All I noticed when I ran it was more turbo noise. I much prefer the AEM due to the fit and the better filtration. I have more peace of mind using the AEM. Besides, the MBRP catback makes enough noise already.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the AEM in my ST. When I purchased my Mountune intake it included a Mountune filter (which as you know is the same as the Geen filter, just not green). I didn't like the way the Mountune filter fit in the box. All I noticed when I ran it was more turbo noise. I much prefer the AEM due to the fit and the better filtration. I have more peace of mind using the AEM. Besides, the MBRP catback makes enough noise already.
Those are pretty much my thoughts as well.

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
I seem to remember seeing an article that was posted here on the forum that showed the AEM had better filtration results than the oiled type filters. I'm going to look around for it. If I can locate it, I'll post it.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I had a Green filter, was given to me so I ran it, I have run K&N oiled filters my whole life and that is what I thought was the "golden ticket".

BUT.... I came across the AEM filter by K&N and forked out cash the minute I found it, honestly knew little to nothing about it other than it was a dryflow filter and NOT oiled. I hate cleaning and drying and oiling these oil filters. I am happy to be away from it and it is the only filter I even recommend any more. I spray it off with a hose and install it back in the car. if it is really bad maybe a little soapy water and again throw it back in the car. by morning it is dry and you are on the road.

AEM filter or bust ;) but just my thoughts

1 - 9 of 9 Posts