Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
So I have a green air filter in my 18' ST1, love the flutter and conservative(ish) bypass valve sounds on liftoff and change. For a while, I tried running with the airbox off, love all of those liftoff noises with the box off but the constant sucking intake noise from inside the cabin is a little annoying. Is there any way I can get the full louder turbo noises minus the intense sucking/breathing-in noise on even easy acceleration? Or make it sound better inside the cabin? (Aside from the filter I have not modified the intake btw) So for now, the airbox is back on.
Hopefully the answer isn't "You can't have it both ways," but I fear it is.

Any thoughts?
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,447 Posts
Sounds like you answered your question. Though if you want louder BOV sounds put an aftermarket Vent to atmosphere BOV on it. Then put the intake top cover back on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could cold air intake kit change the "note" of the induction sucking sound or is that more dependent on the filter itself?

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Could cold air intake kit change the "note" of the induction sucking sound or is that more dependent on the filter itself?

Aftermarket intake tube you will get more turbo whistle and flutter noises. I don't notice a sucking induction noise though. Do you still have your sound symposer?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aftermarket intake tube you will get more turbo whistle and flutter noises. I don't notice a sucking induction noise though. Do you still have your sound symposer?
Symposer still installed, actually have a delete kit coming in the mail to install this weekend. Could that be related?

·
Super Moderator
7,147 Posts
Symposer still installed, actually have a delete kit coming in the mail to install this weekend. Could that be related?

Run the symposer delete, that should help. Those sucking sounds are the turbo, tis' the nature of the beast. No helping that. A turbo sucks and compresses air.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I like the sucking sound lol. I have the RS airbox and it’s even more noticeable. I’d recommend going that way rather than leaving your lid off though. Less hot engine bay air getting sucked into your intake with the RS lid since it seals against the hood rather than just being wide open.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like the sucking sound lol. I have the RS airbox and it’s even more noticeable. I’d recommend going that way rather than leaving your lid off though. Less hot engine bay air getting sucked into your intake with the RS lid since it seals against the hood rather than just being wide open.
Good idea! Thanks.
Yeah, did the sound symposer delete and the sucking sound is definitely the main event now. I'll add the RS airbox to my list of goodies to buy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts