Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was originally planning on making this an install / DIY thread but I didn't take enough pictures, plus it's an exhaust. It's mostly straight forward, can read other install threads if you need help. Thankfully being in the military I have access to a "auto hobby shop" which has a myriad of tools as well as lifts for rent. Made the job so much easier for me. 5 hours was $30. Wasn't a fan of needing to cut the OEM exhaust because it's all one piece so I went at it with a cut-off wheel and an angle grinder. Wiggling the muffler and pipe from the rear subframe was fun in itself. The other portion of the exhaust was super easy. Two bolts at the flange for the downpipe and bam, done.

F-U.jpg Old vs New.jpg

When I completely unboxed the exhaust and took it all out of it's plastic, I noticed GReddy didn't include any instructions. Sure it's an exhaust and relatively straight forward but when you go from one piece to 4 piece, some pics of orientation would be nice so I could line everything up. I bring this up because I installed everything sequentially. The section that comes after the mid pipe you would think should be installed second, then the part which goes through the subframe would be third with the tips being last. Well you thought wrong. That subframe piece? Yeah, do that first. Again, having a diagram would've been nice just for the orientation of lining everything up properly. Then putting the axleback portion on the exhaust hangers, definitely need to muscle it in there. Gotta say though the fit and finish was impeccable, what I've come to expect from GReddy.

Installed.jpg

It's definitely not as loud as I was expecting it to be and was slightly upset because of that (at first) but when I drove it around for the first time, it just felt natural, it complimented the car and it's how the car should've sounded from the factory. It has a very calm and tame noise with little burbles which honestly compliment the car. It doesn't have any drone to it on the freeway and it's not going to kill you on your morning commute. You can comfortably cruise with your radio on like normal and not need to turn it up to compensate.

Exhaust.png

Overall: 4.2/5

Volume: 3/5 - Gives you some noise and makes you happy without attracting cops.
Tone: 4/5 - Personally I think all the exhausts for this car sound terrible. This one, a little less.
Practicality: 5/5 You could cold start this exhaust in an apartment complex before the sun is up and you wouldn't wake anyone.
Enjoyment: 5/5 Still grinning ear to ear.
Quality: 4/5 - Again, only because it took a minute to figure out the orientation when installing.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I got the Greddy exhaust too! I love it and think the sound is just right. Highly recommend this exhaust for anyone not wanting an exhaust that's loud but not too loud.

Note to others interested in this exhaust--they kind of don't work well with COBB hangers. The twist in hanger from COBB will touch the GReddy exhaust and melt!!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Nice review. Quick question: Did you reinstall the support bar that sits under the mid pipe (where the stock resonator was)? I had helped a friend install this exhaust and we had issues with the piping hitting the support bar on the initial install so we added some spacers. Just wondering if you (or anyone else for that matter) came across this as well.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Nice review. Quick question: Did you reinstall the support bar that sits under the mid pipe (where the stock resonator was)? I had helped a friend install this exhaust and we had issues with the piping hitting the support bar on the initial install so we added some spacers. Just wondering if you (or anyone else for that matter) came across this as well.
You are talking about the straight section held in by two bolts right? Not the curved one with 6? If so I removed that from mine in a hunt for vibrations and never reinstalled it. Several other people have, and I believe it was mentioned a few years ago that it was a shipping brace and nothing more. I'll see if I can dig up some of those old threads.

·
Registered
55 Posts
You are talking about the straight section held in by two bolts right? Not the curved one with 6? If so I removed that from mine in a hunt for vibrations and never reinstalled it. Several other people have, and I believe it was mentioned a few years ago that it was a shipping brace and nothing more. I'll see if I can dig up some of those old threads.
Yep, that bar. Hm, that's interesting. I'll search as well. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got the Greddy exhaust too! I love it and think the sound is just right. Highly recommend this exhaust for anyone not wanting an exhaust that's loud but not too loud.

Note to others interested in this exhaust--they kind of don't work well with COBB hangers. The twist in hanger from COBB will touch the GReddy exhaust and melt!!!
What hangers should be used?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts