Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im talking about the trackers ford or the dealership installs to track you. I dont have gps navigation in my car.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
did you buy your car from a shady dealership or do you have terrible credit? those are the only times I've ever seen a dealer of any kind(and never ford) put a tracking device on a car...

regardlesst, the easiest and most logical spot on a Focus would be behind the glove box, right around the BCM. that location has plenty of room, has all the wire you would need in one spot (12v, acc, and ground) and is fairly easy to remove quickly just in case the dealer want their tracking device back after the loan has been paid back.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, i was just reading an article that ford themselves said they put a gps tracker/kill switch in all there cars these days. I read a lot of people finding them by the starter switch but i wasnt sure if anybody has tried to find it in the focus st. I saw one where a guy founf one in his 2013 model behind the light switch but i gotta 2016. Just curious, id like to rip that sucker out, dont like the idea of someone being able to track me is all.

·
Registered
660 Posts
No, i was just reading an article that ford themselves said they put a gps tracker/kill switch in all there cars these days. I read a lot of people finding them by the starter switch but i wasnt sure if anybody has tried to find it in the focus st. I saw one where a guy founf one in his 2013 model behind the light switch but i gotta 2016. Just curious, id like to rip that sucker out, dont like the idea of someone being able to track me is all.
Something like that probably would have not changed throughout the model years so I would assume it is in the same place as the 2013 model.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I want you to ask yourself what possible business sense this makes. Ford does not sell you the car. Ford sells the dealer the car, then the dealer sells you the car. Why would Ford go through the expense of installing a GPS tracker in every car? If you default on your car loan, Ford doesn't get it back, so it makes no sense for them to install one.

You need to engage your brain when you read this stuff, man. Not even most of the stuff you read on the internet nowadays is true.

As for people finding them, the odds are a lot better that they're high-risk borrowers, and dealers are installing them as part of financing terms. This is something that happens frequently.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I want you to ask yourself what possible business sense this makes. Ford does not sell you the car. Ford sells the dealer the car, then the dealer sells you the car. Why would Ford go through the expense of installing a GPS tracker in every car? If you default on your car loan, Ford doesn't get it back, so it makes no sense for them to install one.

You need to engage your brain when you read this stuff, man. Not even most of the stuff you read on the internet nowadays is true.

As for people finding them, the odds are a lot better that they're high-risk borrowers, and dealers are installing them as part of financing terms. This is something that happens frequently.
"I want you to ask yourself what possible business sense this makes."

This link is the answer to your question, i asked though if anybody has found them or know where its exactly located, get it? If you dont know then dont care.

http://www.cnbc.com/2014/01/09/ford-we-can-use-gps-to-track-your-car-movements.html

·
Registered
381 Posts

c5f.gif

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ayada, you do troll a lot, for someone who doesnt like me you sure do pay attentiin to me a lot! Your damn near stalking me, youve replied back to me on every thread ive commented on or created.....

·
Registered
381 Posts
Ayada, you do troll a lot, for someone who doesnt like me you sure do pay attentiin to me a lot! Your damn near stalking me, youve replied back to me on every thread ive commented on or created.....
Oh you've got it all wrong. You are an amusing person, never once did I say I didn't like you.

I hardly troll, but even if I were to give you a serious answer (And I almost always have) you would of just ignored it anyways.

Anyways for the serious answer you will ignore:

It's built into sync as mentioned. Even if you don't have nav it used for service like 911 assist and the such. You would have to rip out the electronics of the car to get rid of it. Your dealer may have installed a secondary tracking unit, at which point I would start looking at fuse boxes or other easy places to tap power for wires that don't look oem.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh you've got it all wrong. You are an amusing person, never once did I say I didn't like you.

I hardly troll, but even if I were to give you a serious answer (And I almost always have) you would of just ignored it anyways.

Anyways for the serious answer you will ignore:

It's built into sync as mentioned. Even if you don't have nav it used for service like 911 assist and the such. You would have to rip out the electronics of the car to get rid of it. Your dealer may have installed a secondary tracking unit, at which point I would start looking at fuse boxes or other easy places to tap power for wires that don't look oem.
You dont have to tell me you dont, actions speak loud and considering your remark on the last thread it speaks loudly, but your right, i shouldn't have wrtten that on that guys strut bar group buy, i meant nothing bad by it, i shouldve created a separate thread. But anyway, your probably right, if its separate its probably by the starter button from other sites i read from. I knew the sync had a 911 assist but i was reading ford installs one separate from that to also kill the car to make the lenders feel more at ease.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Despite all this banter and noise going on in this thread the question was answered a few times now so we can all let this thread die before it gets out of hand...like all of the other threads xbwompx started have done.

If you are high risk borrower and financing your car, check your OBDII or fuse box area for an installed secondary device (they probably would have ran a wire to an open slot in the fuse box), if none-such device exists then the only tracking being done is built into the Sync which is the same tracking device that tells authorities where you are if you are in an accident...not something I would personally remove. /thread

·
Registered
158 Posts
"I want you to ask yourself what possible business sense this makes."

This link is the answer to your question, i asked though if anybody has found them or know where its exactly located, get it? If you dont know then dont care.

Ford: We can use GPS to track your car movements
Alright, I read the article, and its source, and nothing whatsoever in either gave me the slightest impression that Ford is installing additional GPS units in each and every car. Instead, it seems that Ford is leveraging the same GPS sensor that your navigation and other systems already use, and sending aggregate data when your car phones home (most likely during "vehicle health reports").

That having been said, the GPS antenna in question here is located behind the glovebox, and is clearly marked in all factory maintenance materials. The receiver itself is one of the infotainment boxes, I think the APIM.

There is no "extra" GPS antenna/receiver. If there is, it's not in any of the factory maintenance and wiring manuals, which would be extremely unusual.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts