Ford Focus ST Forum banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
So I've got the TB and install kit ordered, so hopefully they'll be here in the next week or so. Any "gotchas" to installing these things or recommendations you guys suggest that I should do while I've got it apart? I haven't cleaned the valves (yet), but it's only got about 23K on the clock, I've almost always used 91 octane top-tier fuel, and I've been running Amsoil signature series oil since 11,884 miles... so not sure how nasty they'll be.

·
Super Moderator
8,417 Posts
So I've got the TB and install kit ordered, so hopefully they'll be here in the next week or so. Any "gotchas" to installing these things or recommendations you guys suggest that I should do while I've got it apart? I haven't cleaned the valves (yet), but it's only got about 23K on the clock, I've almost always used 91 octane top-tier fuel, and I've been running Amsoil signature series oil since 11,884 miles... so not sure how nasty they'll be.
I can't really think of anything besides valve cleaning, but at your mileage, it really shouldnt be bad at all.

The install is pretty straight forward, you'll be pulling the intake manifold. So you'll have to deal with the pcv connection on the back of it. Which can be a bit challenging at times.

Any OCC(for the front side pcv system) install video will have all the steps to remove the intake.

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Apparently I need the tune sooner rather than later because I couldn't even pull much on a v6 mustang.. I mean, I pulled a little bit on him from a light, but not much, and then on an on ramp blast I only pulled maybe a car length on him to about 85. A few miles down the road we both got off at the same exit and chatted for a bit as we sat the light. I told him I was impressed with how quick the thing was. Figured it was the 2.3 EB, but nope... 3.7 v6. It does have 300 hp and 280 ft/lbs, though, but it's also about 200 lbs more in weight than mine.

Can't wait to get the tune now... Need more overtime to pay for it...

Reactions: Duece McCracken

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Apparently I need the tune sooner rather than later because I couldn't even pull much on a v6 mustang.. I mean, I pulled a little bit on him from a light, but not much, and then on an on ramp blast I only pulled maybe a car length on him to about 85. A few miles down the road we both got off at the same exit and chatted for a bit as we sat the light. I told him I was impressed with how quick the thing was. Figured it was the 2.3 EB, but nope... 3.7 v6. It does have 300 hp and 280 ft/lbs, though, but it's also about 200 lbs more in weight than mine.

Can't wait to get the tune now... Need more overtime to pay for it...
Yeah man. The 11 to 16 v6 makes the same horsepower as the prevous gen 4.6 3v v8. Fords powerplants made massive leaps and bounds in 2011.

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Yeah man. The 11 to 16 v6 makes the same horsepower as the prevous gen 4.6 3v v8. Fords powerplants made massive leaps and bounds in 2011.
I think I need a Jarvis like AI I can constantly ask about the specs of cars around me... How about somebody invent that? Getting a little annoying jumping on stuff I expect to pull away from easily and either get spanked or barely get them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bet it does, but I don't have the $ to throw at a 2867 and an AP. If I went with one of stratified's BT packages, I would likely be out almost 2800 in parts, and that's still on the stock clutch which would surely be living on borrowed time by that point. Since I'm limited to 10% of any overtime for my "play money" right now, that's WAY out of reach. Hoping to be able to afford an AP in a couple months if I can keep getting 8-10 hours of OT each week, though. How much of a difference might that make in a stop light race like that? Still get my butt kicked, but not as bad, or would I have a chance at it?
Had my oldest daughter with me on a trip to Lowe's and came up on a stinger GT at a light... Didn't catch if it was the AWD model or not, but I figured he'd give it a go. I didn't want to be "that guy" and sit there revving or something stupid, though, so I just waited to see if he'd launch hard. Light goes green and he jumps off the line fast, so I was playing catch-up. I didn't hear him have any tire spin at all, either, so I'm betting it was an AWD model.
By the middle of 3rd he was a good car length ahead of me, so I just backed off and let him go. No point in continuing to try to catch up when I'm out-powered.

Couple nice things I noticed on the run, though, was that 1st gear was only tirespin and no hop, thanks to the TB gussetted traction bar and new RMM. Also, the 2nd gear change was just one hard tire bark and it simply hooked up. Felt really nice.

So I'm not sure which variant of the car I got stomped by, but it was a pretty good beating. Of course, I bet he paid double for his stinger compared to what I paid for my ST, though, and I still think mine looks better.

Would probably need a BT upgrade to beat one of those guys from a roll.
He's running the paddles and the transmissions are good. So what ever he took off the line your not going to get back.

·
Super Moderator
8,417 Posts
Does the throttle body make that much of a difference? i'm looking at a wheel and tire package almost 10lbs lighter for 1700......
I could flex a bit and get a little less wheel and a TB and maybe a new BOV
Lightweight rims and better rubber is a great for braking and acceleration. OEM rims are tanks.

Im not saying the Tb is an amazing of a mod, but for the OP, trying to extract power and maximize his first tuning, I suggested it and to adjust his WGA.

It helps, and it all adds up. Its more of a "I'm running out of mods" mod though, not amazing without tuning and other supporting mods.

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Well, @Duece McCracken, I got a nice new throttle body today, but Damond still hasn't shipped my TB install kit. :( Looks like I'll probably have to wait another week to install it.

·
Super Moderator
8,417 Posts
Well, @Duece McCracken, I got a nice new throttle body today, but Damond still hasn't shipped my TB install kit. :( Looks like I'll probably have to wait another week to install it.
Lol, email them and see whats up.

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Yeah, I put the order in on the 1st and it hasn't shipped yet. I'll mail them and see what's up

Reactions: Duece McCracken

·
Registered
92 Posts
Lightweight rims and better rubber is a great for braking and acceleration. OEM rims are tanks.

Im not saying the Tb is an amazing of a mod, but for the OP, trying to extract power and maximize his first tuning, I suggested it and to adjust his WGA.

It helps, and it all adds up. Its more of a "I'm running out of mods" mod though, not amazing without tuning and other supporting mods.
Got 20lb rims and 22lb tires. you were right, you can feel the difference immediately! I've removed an entire 'me' worth of weight so far.

·
Super Moderator
8,417 Posts
Got 20lb rims and 22lb tires. you were right, you can feel the difference immediately! I've removed an entire 'me' worth of weight so far.
I swap from Gramlight Xtremes to snowflakes for winter, and holy ****. I run 6 piston wilwoods on 14" two piece rotors, and the difference in braking is crazy from that rotational mass difference between tire rim combos.

PHYSICS!!

61 - 75 of 75 Posts