Ford Focus ST Forum banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
robb when you get it can you post pics of the kit?
I am wondering if we can source this our self to save some money if it is oem Ford stuff.

·
Super Moderator
8,373 Posts
Would love to eventually, but that would set me back more time in getting the AP/tune. Maybe in the Fall I can swing it. Would be nice to add WMI, though, to help clean the valves and give it a little more insurance against detonation.
I would NOT order it from tasca.

Use white bear lake ford for parts. Tasca blows these days

Throwing a tb spacer in, can crowd things once you go hard hotside, port injection, etc.

·
Registered
2018 Ford Focus ST1
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I am wondering if we can source this our self to save some money if it is oem Ford stuff.
They have a pic of the items on their site, and while most of it is off-the shelf stuff, I don't think the TB wiring extension is. I bet they make that in-house, but I could be wrong.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
I’m gonna be the outlier here...I would put the tune on first and enjoy it. the TB by itself is not gonna do you a dam thing yet, especially when racing stingers 😉

That and like someone mentioned, doing more than one thing at a time can get maddening trying to chase down whatever issue may pop up.

·
Registered
2018 Ford Focus ST1
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I would NOT order it from tasca.

Use white bear lake ford for parts. Tasca blows these days

Throwing a tb spacer in, can crowd things once you go hard hotside, port injection, etc.

I almost forgot about ordering from Original Ford Parts For Sale | Pfeiffer Wholesale Parts again, so I checked them out and it's cheaper overall to get it from there. Shipping is only about $9.50 for me from Pfeiffer vs $13 or so from white bear lake, with no difference in estimated delivery times. Guess I could just go ahead and order it to get it coming already.

Reactions: Duece McCracken

·
Super Moderator
8,373 Posts

Its not much cheaper to source the kit yourself.

Its longer bolts, a different silicone coupling, and the wire extension

·
Registered
2018 Ford Focus ST1
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I’m gonna be the outlier here...I would put the tune on first and enjoy it. the TB by itself is not gonna do you a dam thing yet, especially when racing stingers 😉

That and like someone mentioned, doing more than one thing at a time can get maddening trying to chase down whatever issue may pop up.
On the one hand I agree with you, since I'm still stuck with the stock tune. OTOH, I really don't want to have to pay for a "touch up" tune if I can just give them a list of things and say "tune for these, please." So far (knock on wood), I haven't ever had huge issues with any parts I've put on vehicles, even when I've done marathon swap days on other cars (clutch, LSD, head, cams, cam gears, water pump, tensioner, fuel controller, etc.). I'm just careful about what I do, torque things to the correct values, and just take my time on installs/swaps.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Cool beans, in the end it’s your car and moolah to spend and I will clearly defer to the gurus around here...

...but I still say save your 200 clams for the accessport, especially if this puts you two more checks behind in getting your paws on one. It’s just a whole nother animal, and you won’t give two chits about a TB once you blast around with the AP3 on there 😬

·
Registered
223 Posts
^ +1

You’ll forget about the TB the moment the boost comes on!

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
food for thought...

...the TB can be about ~5hp, which in my humble opinion is within the margin of error on any dyno 😉

·
Registered
2018 Ford Focus ST1
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
^ +1

You’ll forget about the TB the moment the boost comes on!
Sure, and the AP/tune will definitely help with the smiles per mile factor, but as I said earlier... I just don't want to have to re-tune once I get all the parts in-hand. Would rather just slap the tune on and have it be a totally different beast, and then just refine from there with the custom tune and go with it. At that point, the next (logical) step.. although I'm not sure what logic has to do with having a 400 hp FWD car, would be a BT upgrade. That would necessitate a better clutch and LSD, though, unless I babied it a lot, and where would be the fun in that?

Reactions: wingnutt

·
Super Moderator
8,373 Posts
food for thought...

...the TB can be about ~5hp, which in my humble opinion is within the margin of error on any dyno 😉
Thats a TB spacer dyno, the Larger TB has better results due to actually increasing airflow.

I equate TB spacers to snake oil, unless you have them bunged for meth, then it makes sense, lol

Also, dont forget our boi Rob is going to adjust the WGA too. Both these mods together will yeild nice power across the RPM band.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
^^^ fair enough...and since i cant seem to cut and paste if my life depended on it, is there a better thread with dyno results for just a TB upgrade?

mostly because my hunch is the WGA adjustment is gonna carry the bulk of the improvements in this scenario 😉

·
Registered
2018 Ford Focus ST1
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Thats a TB spacer dyno, the Larger TB has better results due to actually increasing airflow.

I equate TB spacers to snake oil, unless you have them bunged for meth, then it makes sense, lol

Also, dont forget our boi Rob is going to adjust the WGA too. Both these mods together will yeild nice power across the RPM band.
When I went from a 49 to 52 mm on my 99 Neon there was a little gain, but not much, but going all the way up to the 55 made a big difference in top-end, especially once I built the intake manifold for it that eliminated two stupid bends in the stock intake setup. Just hoping that turning up the WGA doesn't max out the duty cycle on the WG around here... with the thinner air it's not going to build boost like it would at sea level, and I hope it doesn't over-spin the turbo and hurt something. Think that's a possibility?

·
Super Moderator
8,373 Posts
When I went from a 49 to 52 mm on my 99 Neon there was a little gain, but not much, but going all the way up to the 55 made a big difference in top-end, especially once I built the intake manifold for it that eliminated two stupid bends in the stock intake setup. Just hoping that turning up the WGA doesn't max out the duty cycle on the WG around here... with the thinner air it's not going to build boost like it would at sea level, and I hope it doesn't over-spin the turbo and hurt something. Think that's a possibility?
With the OEM WGA, i highly doubt it. Its not a huge amount of gains, just a couple psi.

Never heard of anyone running into issues doing it. Running a turbosmart wga, now that can lead to issues if not properly tuned.

·
Registered
2018 Ford Focus ST1
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
With the OEM WGA, i highly doubt it. Its not a huge amount of gains, just a couple psi.

Never heard of anyone running into issues doing it. Running a turbosmart wga, now that can lead to issues if not properly tuned.
Yeah, I've read enough to stay away from the turbosmart WGA on the K03. No thanks. BTW, since I have the Mountune BPV, should I be good to go with that?

Reactions: Duece McCracken

·
Registered
223 Posts
I run the stock one and have no issues. Stratified said the stocker holds boost and releases quickly. So you should be good to go with the higher quality part. You would not need a Tial until you went BT.

Reactions: rob99rt

·
Super Moderator
8,373 Posts
I run the stock one and have no issues. Stratified said the stocker holds boost and releases quickly. So you should be good to go with the higher quality part. You would not need a Tial until you went BT.
The stock BPV? It functions great until it doesn't. As in most of them last, but there have been many reports of torn BPV diaphragms leading to boost leaks.

If it aint broke, why fix it scenario for sure.

The TS BPV will be more reliable in the long run, no issues there.

·
Registered
45 Posts
When you can get the AP and 93/e30 lifetime tune from JST Brain is great to work with and that e30 makes a huge difference in how the ST makes power even on the stock turbo. I’ve been tuned sine 10,000 miles and now have about 33,000 on the car with zero issues. Although I do probably need to change my spark plugs and I definitely need to change my trans fluid lol.

·
Registered
60 Posts
There is always Sct tuner. That will save you a couple hundred dollars right there. Unless you have already decided who you want tuning your car.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts