Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my oldest daughter with me on a trip to Lowe's and came up on a stinger GT at a light... Didn't catch if it was the AWD model or not, but I figured he'd give it a go. I didn't want to be "that guy" and sit there revving or something stupid, though, so I just waited to see if he'd launch hard. Light goes green and he jumps off the line fast, so I was playing catch-up. I didn't hear him have any tire spin at all, either, so I'm betting it was an AWD model.
By the middle of 3rd he was a good car length ahead of me, so I just backed off and let him go. No point in continuing to try to catch up when I'm out-powered.

Couple nice things I noticed on the run, though, was that 1st gear was only tirespin and no hop, thanks to the TB gussetted traction bar and new RMM. Also, the 2nd gear change was just one hard tire bark and it simply hooked up. Felt really nice.

So I'm not sure which variant of the car I got stomped by, but it was a pretty good beating. Of course, I bet he paid double for his stinger compared to what I paid for my ST, though, and I still think mine looks better.

Would probably need a BT upgrade to beat one of those guys from a roll.

·
Super Moderator
8,420 Posts
Had my oldest daughter with me on a trip to Lowe's and came up on a stinger GT at a light... Didn't catch if it was the AWD model or not, but I figured he'd give it a go. I didn't want to be "that guy" and sit there revving or something stupid, though, so I just waited to see if he'd launch hard. Light goes green and he jumps off the line fast, so I was playing catch-up. I didn't hear him have any tire spin at all, either, so I'm betting it was an AWD model.
By the middle of 3rd he was a good car length ahead of me, so I just backed off and let him go. No point in continuing to try to catch up when I'm out-powered.

Couple nice things I noticed on the run, though, was that 1st gear was only tirespin and no hop, thanks to the TB gussetted traction bar and new RMM. Also, the 2nd gear change was just one hard tire bark and it simply hooked up. Felt really nice.

So I'm not sure which variant of the car I got stomped by, but it was a pretty good beating. Of course, I bet he paid double for his stinger compared to what I paid for my ST, though, and I still think mine looks better.

Would probably need a BT upgrade to beat one of those guys from a roll.
Yeah, going big turbo changes the game considerably. I need more HP, need to stop being so lazy.

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, going big turbo changes the game considerably. I need more HP, need to stop being so lazy.
I bet it does, but I don't have the $ to throw at a 2867 and an AP. If I went with one of stratified's BT packages, I would likely be out almost 2800 in parts, and that's still on the stock clutch which would surely be living on borrowed time by that point. Since I'm limited to 10% of any overtime for my "play money" right now, that's WAY out of reach. Hoping to be able to afford an AP in a couple months if I can keep getting 8-10 hours of OT each week, though. How much of a difference might that make in a stop light race like that? Still get my butt kicked, but not as bad, or would I have a chance at it?

·
Super Moderator
8,420 Posts
I bet it does, but I don't have the $ to throw at a 2867 and an AP. If I went with one of stratified's BT packages, I would likely be out almost 2800 in parts, and that's still on the stock clutch which would surely be living on borrowed time by that point. Since I'm limited to 10% of any overtime for my "play money" right now, that's WAY out of reach. Hoping to be able to afford an AP in a couple months if I can keep getting 8-10 hours of OT each week, though. How much of a difference might that make in a stop light race like that? Still get my butt kicked, but not as bad, or would I have a chance at it?
Oh, you are still stock tuned?

Well crap, theres a ton on the table left.

Adjust that WGA, go 2.3 mustang TB, and get some tuning.

Yeah, tuning is like " OMFG ITS A NEW CAR! SO FAST! MUCH WOW!!"

Best smiles per dollar is tuning, followed by BT.

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, you are still stock tuned?

Well crap, theres a ton on the table left.

Adjust that WGA, go 2.3 mustang TB, and get some tuning.

Yeah, tuning is like " OMFG ITS A NEW CAR! SO FAST! MUCH WOW!!"

Best smiles per dollar is tuning, followed by BT.
Yeah, still stock tune for another couple months anyway.. if I can keep getting $100 per paycheck that I can spend on toys, though, that'll help.

Regarding the 2.3 tb, how much of a difference will that make for the car? I realize the air is thinner here so anything I can do to increase the volume of air it ingests will help, but will I see a difference for the $200 or so it'll cost me? Should I go ahead and get the bigger TB and damond adapter stuff? I think I have enough to get that stuff now.

·
Super Moderator
8,420 Posts
Yeah, still stock tune for another couple months anyway.. if I can keep getting $100 per paycheck that I can spend on toys, though, that'll help.

Regarding the 2.3 tb, how much of a difference will that make for the car? I realize the air is thinner here so anything I can do to increase the volume of air it ingests will help, but will I see a difference for the $200 or so it'll cost me? Should I go ahead and get the bigger TB and damond adapter stuff? I think I have enough to get that stuff now.
It all adds up, being on stock tuning though, you wont notice much. Its very noticeable being tuned though, like running a stage 3 map, then bolting on the tb and driving.

Right now you are a stage 0 car with stage three parts.

If you can be patient, getting the AP3 with tuning including the TB and WGA adjustments, get the tb in hand, and then installing it all in a weekend would be just fantastic.

Just being tuned with your current setup would yeild about 50 hp and like 100ft/lbs. So you are setting yourself up for one huge upgrade.

The Stinger GT makes more up top power, but once you tune and get traction you'll jump on him pretty good. Not sure the final outcome. Stinger has about 800 lbs on you, and its 365/ 376 crank.

A good stage 3 st is going to be 3200lbs-ish and 275-290whp, with 350 to 380 whtrq. WHich is going to push you ahead, not sure if it will keep you there once you get past 90 mph though.

Adjusting the wastegate will get you a couple psi across the power band, and the TB will help her breathe more.

All in all, you should be one super happy person. Well until you face traction issues, lol.

If you have ethanol on hand, you can bump up those numbers even more.

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do have some e85 stations within 10 miles of where I live, but I can't see myself running an e30 mix all the time as this car is mostly a commuter car (with the occasional stop light race).

So I'll plan to get the AP with it setup for the bigger TB and tightened WGA, and if I can get the TB for cheaper somewhere in the meantime I'll pick one up (used maybe?). Do you think I should just get the Damon kit with the wiring extension and adapter for the bigger tb, or do you think I could source those cheaper? It's only $60, I think, so it's not much money.

·
Super Moderator
8,420 Posts
I do have some e85 stations within 10 miles of where I live, but I can't see myself running an e30 mix all the time as this car is mostly a commuter car (with the occasional stop light race).

So I'll plan to get the AP with it setup for the bigger TB and tightened WGA, and if I can get the TB for cheaper somewhere in the meantime I'll pick one up (used maybe?). Do you think I should just get the Damon kit with the wiring extension and adapter for the bigger tb, or do you think I could source those cheaper? It's only $60, I think, so it's not much money.
I would get damonds kit for installation, and source the TB elsewhere.

Your lucky to have E85, Thats something we no longer have in this area. Id have to drive like 30 min out to get it.

You can always just do a little E85 spike here and there (1-2 gallons max), it'll allow your car to use max ignition advance and maximise your pump gas tune.

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tasca has the TB for about 110 plus shipping, so all together the TB and kit would be probably 185 or so after shipping. Add in the $690 AP and custom tune, and that means I need $875 for everything plus a little shipping.

Sounds like I'm going to have to sell some gun parts if I'm going to want to get this stuff sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I would get damonds kit for installation, and source the TB elsewhere.

Your lucky to have E85, Thats something we no longer have in this area. Id have to drive like 30 min out to get it.

You can always just do a little E85 spike here and there (1-2 gallons max), it'll allow your car to use max ignition advance and maximise your pump gas tune.
No Sheetz by you Duece?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Those stingers are pretty quick. Low 13s quarter mile if i remember correctly.

Im starting to see the sister car, the Genesis G70 floating around. Such a sexy car. Saw one today, actually.

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Once I get a bigger TB, I've read I need to do the relearn procedure, but I'm not finding it... Tried searching on here for a bit, but couldn't find it. Anybody throw me a link, please?

·
Super Moderator
8,420 Posts
Once I get a bigger TB, I've read I need to do the relearn procedure, but I'm not finding it... Tried searching on here for a bit, but couldn't find it. Anybody throw me a link, please?
Not all the time, I didnt have any issues. I will try and find that for you though.

·
Super Moderator
8,420 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Is it worth doing the TB without a BT, I can only assume it would only be 1-2 hp on stock turbo. Plus if going BT you probably would take the intake/throttle body off to fit the CPE exhale pipe for the blow off valve and upgrade it then?

·
Super Moderator
8,420 Posts
'"
Is it worth doing the TB without a BT, I can only assume it would only be 1-2 hp on stock turbo. Plus if going BT you probably would take the intake/throttle body off to fit the CPE exhale pipe for the blow off valve and upgrade it then?
It helps, but its better to group it together with other mods if you plan on going further. More like a "running out of mods" or "trying to max the K03" type deal.

It's your time, and wallet though, but once tuning gets involved, its just makes more sense to bundle it in. Theres not much room for error, so it doesn't introduce a bunch of variables or anything, in case you need to troubleshoot it out.

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I ordered up the Damon install kit this morning and hope to get the TB ordered from Tasca after Thursday. Not sure yet whether I'll just wait and install it all along with the AP/JST tune in a weekend or just throw the TB/parts in when I get them here. Will probably be the latter since I'll have a hard time just ignoring the parts sitting there on my workbench and I'm a couple months out, at least, for the AP/tune. Hopefully I can save up enough over the next couple months to get it by late August. Any use in port-matching the TB and intake mating surfaces to get rid of any shelf to decrease turbulence?

Reactions: FoMoST

·
Registered
225 Posts
I would put the Damon TB spacer on too, so you have ports for WMI, fuel or just cleaning the valves and match the intake opening.

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would put the Damon TB spacer on too, so you have ports for WMI, fuel or just cleaning the valves and match the intake opening.
Would love to eventually, but that would set me back more time in getting the AP/tune. Maybe in the Fall I can swing it. Would be nice to add WMI, though, to help clean the valves and give it a little more insurance against detonation.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts