Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the RS style hood vents today and I'm loving every bit of it.

Taking measurements​ took up a majority of my time as I wanted to make everything identical, and I managed to pull it off.

I used a Ryobi 4 1/2 inch angle grinder with a 4 1/2 metal cut off wheel to make the cuts.

I used 100% silicone to put the vents on the hood, and they're stuck on there very good.

If you wanted pics of everything I used down to the tape let me know and I will post.

Here are the holes cut already.

20170324_103826.jpg

20170324_103841.jpg

Here's the under side after the cuts

20170324_105347.jpg

And the final result

20170324_110800.jpg

Now after the cuts where made, I used my Dremel with a few sanding wheels to sand them down to clean them up a bit so they weren't sharp. I then went over them with OW paint to seal the bare metal.

The passenger side took me a bit longer as I needed to keep making the cut taller in order to fully fit the vent.

All in all I'm extremely happy with the results and how they look!

And damn, can I feel the heat coming out of them.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Very very nice

Reactions: AngelWhiteST

·
Registered
206 Posts
Love the look of vents on the Focus ST. I'm debating between the RS style or Velox vents for my '16. They don't just look good, but have a surprising amount of benefits.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Looks great man, your thermal wrap on your intake would bother me though. I haven't seen anyone else do that other than me :)

20170305_161135_001_zpsf4z1ycot.jpg

·
Registered
816 Posts
I've been debating doing them on my PB! They look great! I'm hesitant due to rain/snow possibly messing stuff up in the engine compartment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've been debating doing them on my PB! They look great! I'm hesitant due to rain/snow possibly messing stuff up in the engine compartment

Thanks! I think you should, definitely adds to the car!

I'm not so worried about rain and/or snow. My car is garage kept when not at work and the snow wouldn't accumulate enough to pile inside. But we'll see in the winter!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Looks good---I've got all of my stuff gathered to do my RS vents. Just need the snow to melt so I can get my ST out of storage.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I likey

Best part is it not only looks good but is functional

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
I've been seeing these vents more and more. The only thing I have to ask as a daily driver car how trashed is the engine bay typically? with all the water and junk coming in through that constantly do you notice your filter getting wet or just having a lot more dirt and grime in the engine bay?

·
Registered
257 Posts
I agree they, they look very good, and if it helps with letting heat escape even better. But not a real fan of all the water and dirt that can enter. My car sleeps outside :/ no space in the garage for it. If not I would do this

·
Registered
816 Posts
If a company would create vents that has a slide feature where you can slide it all the way up to close the vents, and then slide it all the way down when you want to open them while driving. Exactly like how the interior vents work with the heat and the AC. Then I would be able to not worry about stuff getting into the engine bay. @VelossaTech

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
I've been seeing these vents more and more. The only thing I have to ask as a daily driver car how trashed is the engine bay typically? with all the water and junk coming in through that constantly do you notice your filter getting wet or just having a lot more dirt and grime in the engine bay?
Sh*t, my engine bay gets wrecked just from months of daily driving with a muddy/dusty driveway and stuff...with vents it would be a constant cleaning process. Looks badass though so I'd still do it if I could commit to cutting my hood.

If a company would create vents that has a slide feature where you can slide it all the way up to close the vents, and then slide it all the way down when you want to open them while driving. Exactly like how the interior vents work with the heat and the AC. Then I would be able to not worry about stuff getting into the engine bay. @VelossaTech

Yeah uh...*nudge* @VelossaTech *cough*

·
Registered
744 Posts
For all those of you asking, I've had my vents in for about a year now. During light rain, there will be next to no rain in the engine compartment. During heavy rain, even letting my car sit for hours, the most I ever noticed was some drops, never a puddle. Throughout the winter with snow build-up, I didn't notice anything more either. Then again, I covered up my vents with mesh to keep dirt and leaves/sticks from coming through them. OP, how did you attach your vents? I used 3M mounting tape and haven't had any problems.

20170220_142206.jpg

·
Registered
816 Posts
For all those of you asking, I've had my vents in for about a year now. During light rain, there will be next to no rain in the engine compartment. During heavy rain, even letting my car sit for hours, the most I ever noticed was some drops, never a puddle. Throughout the winter with snow build-up, I didn't notice anything more either. Then again, I covered up my vents with mesh to keep dirt and leaves/sticks from coming through them. OP, how did you attach your vents? I used 3M mounting tape and haven't had any problems.

View attachment 222777
Ahhhh good idea, mesh would help a lot to keep road debris out

1 - 20 of 20 Posts