Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Whatever weight is listed in the owners manusl (should be 5W30) in whichever brand you are loyal to!

Seriously...do a search. Oil topics galore. 20 replays to this thread will leave you with 30 different recommendations. Will leave you more undecided than when you started. I use Amsoil 5W30 SSO.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I use the valvoline synpower fe or there is a nulon option as well. Both at super cheap for about $60 for a 5L

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
344 Posts
I have been using Castrol Edge 5W30 in mine.

Some people (Galaxy 7) don't realise that you are here in Australia and not over in the US where most of these threads are targeted at. Here in Aus we have a lot less options and some of the average priced oil from the states is as dear as poison.
Unfortunately even the Castrol edge is around $70 for 5L and you need 5.8L when doing your change. Supercheap auto sometimes has them on special for around $35 so I buy 4 of the 5L to last me a little while.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Edge 5w30 here. It's a very similar spec for the Ford recommended oil but has a higher HTHS rating which is good for our warmer temps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,763 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
I have been using Castrol Edge 5W30 in mine.

Some people (Galaxy 7) don't realise that you are here in Australia and not over in the US where most of these threads are targeted at. Here in Aus we have a lot less options and some of the average priced oil from the states is as dear as poison.
Unfortunately even the Castrol edge is around $70 for 5L and you need 5.8L when doing your change. Supercheap auto sometimes has them on special for around $35 so I buy 4 of the 5L to last me a little while.
As a matter of fact, I did notice where he was from when I wrote that, but don't see the relevance. I reread my response and nothing in it, IMO, is geographically centric.

I second this. If 5w-30 is good, 0w-40 is better.
Oh yea...how so?

·
Registered
740 Posts
Any good oil brand will do the job, doesnt matter if you are in Australia, USA or Mexico (like me), Mobil, Pennzoil, Royal Purple, Castrol, etc will do fine

I second this. If 5w-30 is good, 0w-40 is better.
Could you elaborate on that, please?

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Any good oil brand will do the job, doesnt matter if you are in Australia, USA or Mexico (like me), Mobil, Pennzoil, Royal Purple, Castrol, etc will do fine
Could you elaborate on that, please?
0w flows better when cold and 40 has a higher viscosity when hot, which means better protection for extreme conditions. Sure, just about any motor oil will do for most conditions. But lets say you have an incident in the desert. A trucker takes offense that you pulled out in front of him, even though you hit the gas hard and he never got close. He pulls up on your bumper doing 80 and you notice the temp gauge going up. Flippin floppin dangermouse! I knew I smelled antifreeze earlier that day! The temp goes up and you have to keep going fast to keep from getting run over, at least til you get to a safe place. Which oil is going to protect your engine best? Uh huh, that's what I thought you said. Full synthetic 0w-40!

Reactions: TrevorGoodchild

·
Registered
134 Posts
Oh, I didn't see this. I use Mobil 1 0w-40 because first off, it's one of the best oils on the market in my opinion. These engines run hot, especially as you start modifying them. Some might say you shouldn't change what Ford suggests, and if that's the case, you probably should stop tuning and running more boost than they suggest too. Since you're modding, you are changing things, adding more heat, etc. From UOAs that I've seen, these engines tend to shear down the oil a rating or so in addition to the potential of a little fuel dilution. The 30 weight can easily get a little too thin if you ask me. The 0w? Well, it helps get the oil flowing sooner and honestly it warms up pretty quick. I also don't live in a 0 F climate which means mine isn't quite as thin at "cold" temp.

As a disclaimer though, my car is still new and I still don't have enough UOAs to fully back this up from my own car yet. It's possible I may change my tune if I see something strange the UOA, but from the research that I did this seemed like the optimal choice for this car. As with anything, do your own research before you make changes in your own car!

·
Registered
768 Posts
0w flows better when cold and 40 has a higher viscosity when hot, which means better protection for extreme conditions. Sure, just about any motor oil will do for most conditions. But lets say you have an incident in the desert. A trucker takes offense that you pulled out in front of him, even though you hit the gas hard and he never got close. He pulls up on your bumper doing 80 and you notice the temp gauge going up. Flippin floppin dangermouse! I knew I smelled antifreeze earlier that day! The temp goes up and you have to keep going fast to keep from getting run over, at least til you get to a safe place. Which oil is going to protect your engine best? Uh huh, that's what I thought you said. Full synthetic 0w-40!
Hahahhahahahahaha....stop it...you're killin me. Well, I'm convinced. That's the most technically sound convincing theory I've ever heard. Going home to swap out my pathetic 5W30 right now. An incident in the desert (coincidentally on the day you had a coolant leak at that). A one-off at that. Sold!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am using Shell Helix in my 2013. The "pureplus technology" delveloped and patented by Shell, is the base oil Pennzoil use in their Ultra Platinum. Unlike Mobile, Castrol, Valvoline..... who derive their fully synthetic from crude oil the "pureplus" is derived from natural gas. I have used Shell Helix ECT 5w-30 in a car I bought new 10 years ago and the rocker assembly looks like new, absolutely no gum whatsoever.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
I use either Gulf Competition 5w-40 Racing Ester or Ravenol RCS Racing Competition Synto SAE 5W-40. Both really good oils with a great high temperaure high shear stability.
Hot viscosity of the Gulf Competition is 13,88 mm/s @212°F for example.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Out of interest what are you guy down here using in your St's now that the new oils have been developed to combat LSPI?
Can I use any good SN+ oil from the shelf?
Also Sparesbox show that Shell Helix ECT 5w-30 is compatible. But it is C3, Dexos2, would this be a benefit as the motor is direct injection, therefor reducing the amount of deposits on the intake valves, as well I see Dexos2 is formulated to combat LSPI?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts