Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So every since I bought the car there have always been holes for bolts but nothing there no bolts just a clean golden hole that are threaded. I've been wondering for a long time about this.

And I always seem to have issues with cylinder one lately ever since I took the cover off hmmm ???

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
3,971 Posts
They're just mounting points to accommodate the laundry list of vehicles this engine was put in.

Reactions: W4R

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cylinder one as you see in the picture is consumed with rust from when the coil pack was loose and is causing rust on the spark plug and that is the one that misfired today on top of all the plugs being .006 to small some more than others. Im prolly going to have to pull the valve cover unless there's another way to get that rust outta there because it's causing corrosion on the plug and that rust will eventually eat up everything and spread it's not very good I know that...

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Monster FMIC, Turbosmart BPV, ALEX' Shift Bushings,PCV-OCC, Innovative RMM
1,367 Posts
Clean with small bronze brush and then add dielectric grease, new boot if worried.
Blow out hole with plug installed too.

Tuned cars have smaller gapped plugs on purpose.
What is the actual gap, and is your car tuned?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JST turned, mishimota hot side, cpe exhale cold side, cp-e intercooler light, cp-e intake, catless DP, HF catted exhaust flowmasters, with a bunch of other stuff. Yes, I do have the NGK iridium's one step colder. Cylinder 1 plug .028, cyl. 2 plug .029, cyl. 3 plug .028, cyl. 4 plug .028. O yeah I forgot the mention the big T

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Monster FMIC, Turbosmart BPV, ALEX' Shift Bushings,PCV-OCC, Innovative RMM
1,367 Posts
That's normal for tuned plugs with some usage. Many gap to .026 new.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I'm also jst tuned and .028 is a normal plug gap for a tuned ST. I assume you're also using a one step colder plug then stock? If you're having misfire issues try the NGK ruthenium plug LTR7 bhx. It almost completely eliminated misfires on cold startups. I gapped mine to 0.026. after about 35,000 miles I pulled them out to check and they're still at .028 so I left them for now even though I bought a new ones. They are pricey though the cheapest I could find was 60 bucks for a set of four.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm also jst tuned and .028 is a normal plug gap for a tuned ST. I assume you're also using a one step colder plug then stock? If you're having misfire issues try the NGK ruthenium plug LTR7 bhx. It almost completely eliminated misfires on cold startups. I gapped mine to 0.026. after about 35,000 miles I pulled them out to check and they're still at .028 so I left them for now even though I bought a new ones. They are pricey though the cheapest I could find was 60 bucks for a set of four.
They were .005 to small I pulled them out today hopefully that solves the problem

·
Premium Member
2013 ST2, AGP BWS turbo, long block
745 Posts
JST turned, mishimota hot side, cpe exhale cold side, cp-e intercooler light, cp-e intake, catless DP, HF catted exhaust flowmasters, with a bunch of other stuff. Yes, I do have the NGK iridium's one step colder. Cylinder 1 plug .028, cyl. 2 plug .029, cyl. 3 plug .028, cyl. 4 plug .028. O yeah I forgot the mention the big T
Did you blow out the plugs before you removed? forgetting to do this is how you cause piston damage.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Did you blow out the plugs before you removed? forgetting to do this is how you cause piston damage.
are you talking about blowing out the dirt (with compressed air) from the plug holes before removing the plugs? Just want to make sure im not missing something, & clarification is never bad for future readers.

Reactions: Habriant40

·
Premium Member
2013 ST2, AGP BWS turbo, long block
745 Posts
are you talking about blowing out the dirt (with compressed air) from the plug holes before removing the plugs? Just want to make sure im not missing something, & clarification is never bad for future readers.
Yep! compressed air down around the plugs before removing is an absolute requirement

1 - 13 of 13 Posts