Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone, so usually I jump around post to post looking at ST's and building some ideas for mine. So I am finally going to get some mods in, seeing what people with a-lot more knowledge then myself would recommend. Driving a 2013 ST3 Red, with all Black accents

So far this is what i have.

Green Air Filter
Turbosmart BOV
Custom Front Plate Braket
Custom Lugs
Custom Wheels "Plastidipped"
Weather Tech Deflectors
Racing Vinyl Stripe

Have around $500 left, not sure where to put it. was thinking CAI, but i heard the Bang for Buck is pretty low.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,726 Posts
Hey Everyone, so usually I jump around post to post looking at ST's and building some ideas for mine. So I am finally going to get some mods in, seeing what people with a-lot more knowledge then myself would recommend. Driving a 2013 ST3 Red, with all Black accents

So far this is what i have.

Green Air Filter
Turbosmart BOV
Custom Front Plate Braket
Custom Lugs
Custom Wheels "Plastidipped"
Weather Tech Deflectors
Racing Vinyl Stripe

Have around $500 left, not sure where to put it. was thinking CAI, but i heard the Bang for Buck is pretty low.

Thanks!
For $500 you should be able to get a FMIC.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
You need to choose what it is you want from the car at this point.

$500 gets you either a accessport/tune or front mount intercooler.

Do you want an awesome and much more powerful/torque/fun car that runs out of breath quickly after repeated hard driving? If so, get the tune. It'll be powerful and insanely fun and wake the car up nicely, but if you hoon on the highway for longer than a mile or two and you're doing some rather long distance playing around OR if you do a pull against someone on the highway then like 3 minutes later do ANOTHER pull...your car will lose like 30% of it's power due to heatsoak and you lose the fun factor. If you aren't intending on doing that or don't do it often...tune is probably great.

If you want the same fun pretty strong car you have now that is still able to play around just as much as it already does, but you want NO heatsoak and you want to be able to play all day and night and do pull after pull without your car losing power...go with the intercooler. Ideally it is safer on your car to get the intercooler because it keeps temps down and everything nice and running at optimum like it should be. You just won't make the power a tune gives you and you also will see no power benefit from the intercooler unless you get a tune down the road.

One last thing, if you get the intercooler NOW and down the road you decide to get a tune with another $500 (maybe a lucky scratchoff or a bonus at work? lol) get the tune and you will be a downpipe away from a stage 3 car. Just a thought.

·
Banned
7,049 Posts
i second a steeda FMIC for you money.. its a great mod and is better for you motor as it'll be helping NOT fill the car with 300* air constantly.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
AS all the wise ST heads above have said...FMIC. Your car will bog down so bad in the heat without one. Then down the road go for an accessport and a tune. I also agree with the above as far as brands (Depo, Steeda, CP-E).

·
Registered
40 Posts
I installed a Depo intercooler a couple months ago, best $350 dollars I've spent! And then it's pretty easy to find a used accessport for $350. Save up and extra $200 and you can have both

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Just to make sure there isn't any confusion on Steeda vs CP-E if you go that route instead of Depo, Steeda and CP-E intercoolers are the same, made by CP-E.

And technically the Depo is pretty much the same also lol...consider it aggressive business strategy. Pay for the brand and the customer service or go cheap and still get a great unit.

·
Banned
7,049 Posts
Just to make sure there isn't any confusion on Steeda vs CP-E if you go that route instead of Depo, Steeda and CP-E intercoolers are the same, made by CP-E.

And technically the Depo is pretty much the same also lol...consider it aggressive business strategy. Pay for the brand and the customer service or go cheap and still get a great unit.
for the record, my steeda IC was made by turbonetics

Reactions: brian60

·
Banned
7,049 Posts

·
Banned
7,049 Posts
@brian60

it came from steeda, painted and boxed, but they left the turbonetics part number sticker on the side of the IC..LOL

Reactions: brian60

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
As mentioned above, FMIC or AP3 over CAI. You're getting the green filter, that does all the work. CAI can come later when you want to dress up the engine bay. I will say the AP3 was the biggest gain bang for the buck I've ever done. I didn't get a custom tune or anything, just off the shelf and with only the green filter to support it. Even stage 1 it felt amazing. I've had the Steeda FMIC, and recommend it.

·
Banned
7,049 Posts
As mentioned above, FMIC or AP3 over CAI. You're getting the green filter, that does all the work. CAI can come later when you want to dress up the engine bay. I will say the AP3 was the biggest gain bang for the buck I've ever done. I didn't get a custom tune or anything, just off the shelf and with only the green filter to support it. Even stage 1 it felt amazing. I've had the Steeda FMIC, and recommend it.
Car makes no more power over the stock filter even with a green. It's just louder. And let's particles by. I'd go back to a stock filter in a minute had I not paid so much for a green filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts