Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, currently I have a CAI and Borla installed on my 15' FOST. I've got no real desire to do anything else with the exception of a down pipe and coilovers to liven the car up a bit more. As is, I'm pretty satisfied. I've got the Cobb AP on the way and it had me thinkin about the RMM recommendation. Is the upgrade worth it? I aware of the RMM issue with the previous gen FOST but, changes were made to the later model. Anyone have similar experiences of running stage 1 without the RMM?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Hey folks, currently I have a CAI and Borla installed on my 15' FOST. I've got no real desire to do anything else with the exception of a down pipe and coilovers to liven the car up a bit more. As is, I'm pretty satisfied. I've got the Cobb AP on the way and it had me thinkin about the RMM recommendation. Is the upgrade worth it? I aware of the RMM issue with the previous gen FOST but, changes were made to the later model. Anyone have similar experiences of running stage 1 without the RMM?
Im not currently running one, am stage 1 and dont have issues yet.. im sure in time it will become an issue though..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
If you don't commonly slam from 1st to 2nd and hear a hard boom, or launch hard and get wheel hop commonly...then no.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Try stage one without a RMM, you'll probably be just fine. It's an easy mod, so you could just do it later if you feel the need. It would be really convenient to do RMM at the same time as your downpipe. Do you think you'll be fine with the stock intercooler though?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Try stage one without a RMM, you'll probably be just fine. It's an easy mod, so you could just do it later if you feel the need. It would be really convenient to do RMM at the same time as your downpipe. Do you think you'll be fine with the stock intercooler though?
Everything that I've read about stage 1 indicates to me that an intercooler isn't required. But I'll have to see once I install the tune and run the car down here. The climate in San Diego can be unforgiving at times but, I haven't noticed any significant spikes in engine temperature. Just have to see.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Everything that I've read about stage 1 indicates to me that an intercooler isn't required. But I'll have to see once I install the tune and run the car down here. The climate in San Diego can be unforgiving at times but, I haven't noticed any significant spikes in engine temperature. Just have to see.
it's not about engine temp, it's about charge air temp... the IC is a #1 recommendation even in fully stock form. In reference to the original question though, I've got a '15 and just over 31k miles. Catless DP resonator delete, depo 3.5" FMIC and tuned stage 3 by randy from mountune. I do NOT have the RMM and my car is 100% fine.. no shift bang, ever, and no wheel hop... honestly the thing is.. when you're stage 3.. 1st gear is useless pretty much.. and even the 1st half of second gear is really just wheelspin if you're pushing almost 24psi down low... that's my .02 but I dont think the RMM is necessary.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Necessary... no (as you already know from other replies).
Nice to have... yes. Absolutely worth the asking price in my opinion.

I ran stage one for a long time with no RMM upgrade. Decided to do one (Mountune). Minimal vibration increase at idle with AC on. No noticeable NVH change when not at idle or with the AC off. Significantly better shift feel; it no longer feels like the engine is rocking on shifts.

I have been on the forum for a long time and the only complaints I have ever seen out of aftermarket RMMs is too much additional NVH. If you go with one of the milder upgrades I seriously doubt you will complain about NVH as it is a minimal increase. My brother has a Golf TDI that has extremely stiff mounts and it vibrates like crazy, so I can see how the more aggressive mounts can be annoying.

Reactions: brian60

·
Registered
477 Posts
You're correct that for stage 1 an intercooler isn't required. I was referring to your future plans. On the ST it's unusual to do a downpipe without an upgraded intercooler unless you have another means to keep charge temps down (water-methanol injection can accomplish this).

·
Registered
236 Posts
RMM and lower stress bar are the two mods that you will notice the most and are the best bang for the buck. I had the updated RMM from Ford and still had the 1-2 bang from the day I bought it. Put the Steeda RMM with black bushing (race) on for 30K miles. Just changed to the softer red bushing and I like it way more. Not as much NVH and controls 1-2 bang and wheel hop. Added the FSWerks lower stress bar ($120), greatly improved turn in feel and further reduced wheel hop and torque steer.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
RMM and lower stress bar are the two mods that you will notice the most and are the best bang for the buck. I had the updated RMM from Ford and still had the 1-2 bang from the day I bought it. Put the Steeda RMM with black bushing (race) on for 30K miles. Just changed to the softer red bushing and I like it way more. Not as much NVH and controls 1-2 bang and wheel hop. Added the FSWerks lower stress bar ($120), greatly improved turn in feel and further reduced wheel hop and torque steer.
So I've been testing the stage 1 tune with 91 octane for a few days. Honestly I have to say at the moment I'm very pleased with the performance bump. I set the bar pretty low in terms of expectations so I wouldn't be disappointed. I haven't experienced any wheel hop or bangs yet. Pulls a lot more smoothly through the gears, smoother idles, increased throttle response, all in all positive experience. I want to give 93 octane a try if I can find a station around San Diego.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After a whole week of driving the car including taking it to the desert and canyons, I've concluded that the stage 1 tune really doesn't require a RMM. While I understand the necessity in stages 2 and 3, it doesn't seem necessary for 1. Now I imagine if you clutch dump all day through gears 1 and 2 an RMM is probably worth it. But as of now, she pulls great and sounds great! Definitely need a suspension upgrade though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts