Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a little more sound from the stock exhaust but don't want drone, so people were suggesting taking out the resonator. Local muffler shop said $45. They just take it out and replace it with their own piping right? Or do I have to buy something before hand? Where is the resonator located exactly?

·
Registered
524 Posts
You don't have to buy anything extra. The 45 should include everything. I went this route for a while before I got a turbo back exhaust and it was overall a very good setup in my opinion. Nice sporty tone and no drone

·
Registered
359 Posts
The purpose of the resonator is to eliminate drone. The muffler mufflers the sound. I think you are getting rid of the wrong part.

·
Super Moderator
10,062 Posts
Looking for a little more sound from the stock exhaust but don't want drone, so people were suggesting taking out the resonator. Local muffler shop said $45. They just take it out and replace it with their own piping right? Or do I have to buy something before hand? Where is the resonator located exactly?
The resonator is located in the center of the car pretty between the front seats; @Baxter stated he had this done and got a nice tone without drone. I have the MRT axle back (which has gone way up in price since I purchased mine), without the muffler and the resonator in place with the MRT it sounds pretty awesome. The MRT has a Helmholtz resonator built in to stop drone so I could not tell you if removing the muffler adds drone or not, but it definitely adds more sound. Removing the resonator is not going to add much sound, but will deepen the tone.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I've owned two st's. On the first one, I removed only the center resonator. On the second one, I removed only the rear muffler. All I can tell you is that removing the rear muffler makes it sound very boomy/droney. Having the center resonator removed was like the stock exhaust but just a little bit more volume equally throughout the rpm's. If you're looking for a lot more volume inside the car, go with the rear muffler delete

·
Registered
95 Posts
I had my resonator deleted. Definitely NO drone at all. You can barely tell a difference at idle. There is more sound but it's still really quiet. At highway speeds you can barely tell anything is different. I have a catless DP installed and I still have the stock exhaust with just the resonator deleted. There still is no drone at all. It gets loud when I get on it but it's not anything I would consider as "drone". That's why I like this set up. It's loud when I want it to and quiet when it needs to be.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I was originally going to do a resonator delete, but then thought it wouldn't be loud enough.
I drove a protege5 for 8 years before this - obx header (pre-cat delete) and a 3" catback with a 4.5" tip. That was loud, and DRONE was worse than you can imagine. You couldn't have a conversation in the car or enjoy the radio unless the volume was all the way up.

So now I have the ST - I don't want anything obnoxiously loud. And I'm afraid to cut the resonator out and have it be too quiet - then have to put it back in and take out the muffler instead.
I need to hear these options in person because the videos all sound the same to me :(

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
I am glad to hear about this because I want to hear more noice but not willing to spend big dollars for it. Seems like too simple to be true. What are the pros saying about it? Surely there are other concerns beyond simply making more noice?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I am glad to hear about this because I want to hear more noice but not willing to spend big dollars for it. Seems like too simple to be true. What are the pros saying about it? Surely there are other concerns beyond simply making more noice?
Not really. Minuscule loss of back pressure, but not a big deal because we have ze turbo!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Muffler delete is only loud at wot. But it's not obnoxious, it has a nice bark. It's quiet at idle too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looking forward to doing a res delete sometime in the next couple of months. This thread keeps coming up and keeps begging me to do it. More tone, same noise level till higher in the rpms sign me up.

Reactions: CaliJoe and LeojST

·
Registered
2016 Ford Focus ST3
689 Posts
i've removed the resonator on several vehicles, usually enhances the sound - but never really added any drone.... WON'T make the exhaust MUCH louder, but it will have a bit more noise...

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
yeah these cars should come without the factory resonator, I had mine removed in less than 24 hours of ownership.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Had it done on my 2016 yesterday. The sound is much better pretty normal at idle but it comes alive thru the higher RPMS. No drone at all.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts