Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a '16 Race Red FoSt last week, and am finding getting re-adjusted to a manual trans kind of tricky. Now, it's been over 20 years since my last go around with a manual trans ('88 Mustang GT which was my buddies, although I drove it a lot), so I was prepared for a re-adjustment period. I have smelled clutch 2 times, and am doing my best not to ride it, but I catch myself doing it a little here and there (parallel parking is the worst). Another thing I'm finding is that it's hard to launch this car without spinning even just a little. It also seems the shift quality a little stiff (1st to 2nd especially). I am making sure that I have the clutch all the way to the floor too. Has anyone else had this experience with their car? Will the trans kind of smooth out a bit with more use? Any tips/suggestions for getting re-adjusted to using a manual? Any insight would be appreciated.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Picked up a '16 Race Red FoSt last week, and am finding getting re-adjusted to a manual trans kind of tricky. Now, it's been over 20 years since my last go around with a manual trans ('88 Mustang GT which was my buddies, although I drove it a lot), so I was prepared for a re-adjustment period. I have smelled clutch 2 times, and am doing my best not to ride it, but I catch myself doing it a little here and there (parallel parking is the worst). Another thing I'm finding is that it's hard to launch this car without spinning even just a little. It also seems the shift quality a little stiff (1st to 2nd especially). I am making sure that I have the clutch all the way to the floor too. Has anyone else had this experience with their car? Will the trans kind of smooth out a bit with more use? Any tips/suggestions for getting re-adjusted to using a manual? Any insight would be appreciated.
I got a 2016 in July. If you figure out the trick to getting a smooth 1-2 shift, please post it. I had the dealer look at it three times and they swear it's normal.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've had many manuals and the 1-2 shift is always the hardest to get down smoothly IMO. That being said, my 16' ST is probably one of the smoothest and easiest to drive manuals I've had.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I am in a similar boat, although it's more like 10 years since I had any regular use of a manual. I am trying to get hill starts with this hill assist down, seems like I need to give it more gas than I normally would...but then half the time that leads to spinning the tires just a little. Oh well I almost have it down and the car is much more fun as a DD than my f-150 is!

·
Registered
355 Posts
If you're smelling the clutch you're doing it wrong. You don't need to give it a lot of gas to get going, and with most cars if you're doing it right you'll stall the engine every now and then. You'd almost have to try to stall a new ST because it applies throttle for you from a dead stop.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Removing the clutch spring helped with smoother shifts with the better feel you get from it. You can always put it back if you don't like it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Removing the clutch spring helped with smoother shifts with the better feel you get from it. You can always put it back if you don't like it.
Ditto on clutch spring removal (there is a thread dedicated to this mod).
I find blipping (1500-2000rpm) from stop helps in start offs.
Weighted shift knob and RMM helps also.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I have a 2013, but agree with most of the posters. My last manual was a Ford Ranger I traded in in 1986, but the ST seems intuitive. Sometimes I get lazy and don't push the clutch in far enough, usually on the 2-3 shift for some reason.

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"Blipping" the throttle sounds like a good idea, I'm going to give that a shot.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I got a 2016 in July. If you figure out the trick to getting a smooth 1-2 shift, please post it. I had the dealer look at it three times and they swear it's normal.
Just add the tightest amount of gas while the clutch is engaging between the 1-2 shift to get it smoothly under normal driving. Don't even think about it anymore and its my first manual car.

My question is what exactly does clutch smell like? Haven't driven manual that long, but don't think I've smelled it yet, hopefully lol

·
Registered
582 Posts
Just add the tightest amount of gas while the clutch is engaging between the 1-2 shift to get it smoothly under normal driving. Don't even think about it anymore and its my first manual car.

My question is what exactly does clutch smell like? Haven't driven manual that long, but don't think I've smelled it yet, hopefully lol
You'll know

·
Registered
2,733 Posts

Exactly like brakes.

·
Registered
52 Posts
For some reason with this car you don't even need to give it gas to get going in 1st. Just lift up on the clutch to where it grabs, and it automatically gives gas and goes. I parallel park everyday facing downhill on a slight incline and I blip the throttle once or twice(depending on how steep it is you don't even need gas) and she moves the rest of the way in. Also +1 on removing that spring and replacing it with a weaker one, its a pretty noticeable difference.

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
For some reason with this car you don't even need to give it gas to get going in 1st. Just lift up on the clutch to where it grabs, and it automatically gives gas and goes. I parallel park everyday facing downhill on a slight incline and I blip the throttle once or twice(depending on how steep it is you don't even need gas) and she moves the rest of the way in. Also +1 on removing that spring and replacing it with a weaker one, its a pretty noticeable difference.
Drive by wire, and the car being programmed not to stall if the throttle is not depressed as long as it's not just dumped it would seem, which makes the car easier to drive than if you try to give it throttle and do not give it enough throttle manually but enough to bypass the assist so the car will not increase the revs and stall.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
You can just let the clutch out, no gas and the car will go by itself. Try it on a hill. Kind of crazy... Definitely easiest manual I have ever driven.

Long time driving a manual, 30+yrs, just cannot get use to hill assist, only time I smelled clutch so I just left it off.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
You can just let the clutch out, no gas and the car will go by itself. Try it on a hill. Kind of crazy... Definitely easiest manual I have ever driven.

Long time driving a manual, 30+yrs, just cannot get use to hill assist, only time I smelled clutch so I just left it off.
This is crazy, because the only time I've had trouble is giving it gas on hill starts and having it bog down a bit. I'm going to have to give this a shot and see how it goes. It will also make my wife happy who I'm trying to convince to learn manual.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Drive by wire, and the car being programmed not to stall if the throttle is not depressed as long as it's not just dumped it would seem, which makes the car easier to drive than if you try to give it throttle and do not give it enough throttle manually but enough to bypass the assist so the car will not increase the revs and stall.
This is exactly they thing that make it a bit difficult for me to drive it smoothly. Everyday I am in and out of a couple rigs that are also manual but old enough to not have any bells or whistles. The inputs there seem straight forward and 100% up to me. As soon as I get in the ST the first few shifts or take offs I get a surge on clutch release for gears 1 and 2 that seems to be my input + the cars. Have to adjust my driving to back out off the gas a bit.

I find going to sport or track mode alleviate this and feels the most 'normal' to me.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Ha, yeah the 1-2 shift was a little rough at first lol, but I've got way better with practice :big smile:

And the hill assist was to first thing I turned off.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've had the car for almost a year and 1-2 gear is the hardest to get smooth. They are very rough gears because of lot of torque in those gears. I've been trying to get it smooth. The trick is to granny shift it and lets the synchros have time to do their thing is what I found works best plus a little throttle with your baby toe lol. I learned fast on this car how to drive manual. Very easy to drive. The first time i burned the clutch omg the smell and heat sensation I got from scarring the crap out of myself. Smells like burning carbon/brakes with a mix of fish? idk but the smell never left the car for a good hour.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
OK sonny, the trick to smooth shifts is to NOT concentrate on the engagement of the next gear, but rather concentrate on smooth declutching of the previous gear. The next gear tends to work itself out if you get the declutching right.
Next, the problem of smooth starts and low speed clutching; There is just too little feel and sound of the motor in this car. It helped me a lot when I got a stiffer RMM (rear motor mount). Then you can feel what the motor is doing. Unfortunately it's tough finding one that gives you the feel but that isn't too rough when idling with the air on. Expect to try a few different ones and spend a few hundred.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts