Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here know if any of the 2012+ Focus models came with side view mirrors that don't have the little convex mirror on them? I'm interested in doing a swap, I personally have never liked them.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
In the US, I am fairly certain (though not 100%) that they are all the same style mirror glass (with the separate blind spot mirror). In the UK, I believe they received single piece convex mirror which tends to be common in the UK. Instead of getting the little separate mirror, the mirror is a single piece. Towards the edge of the mirror there is a line and the mirror angles back slightly to show the blind spot. My brother put a similar mirror on his Golf and they are by far my favorite mirror design. Debated on swapping my ST over to them, but never made it enough of a priority to actually do it. If you decide to do it, be sure to post the results. It might lead me to finally do do the swap.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
I'd never get rid of them, they are way too useful. But thats my opinion. I love the wide angle they afford, so easy to find cars in the blind spot.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I'd never get rid of them, they are way too useful. But thats my opinion. I love the wide angle they afford, so easy to find cars in the blind spot.
+1

Took me a bit of time to get used to them but now my eyes are trained on where to look for both the side & blind spot.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
With the convex style UK mirror glass, you don't lose the blindspot mirror. Actually you get a better one IMO because you don't have to train yourself to look up at the corner of the mirror. Instead the picture is a more seamless view of what is beside you. Yes it is distorted some by the shape of the mirror surface changing, but the same thing happens with the little blindspot mirrors.

Pulled from google image search... note the line in the glass where the angle of the glass shifts and acts as a blind spot mirror. This is a MK3 Focus mirror that is (or was) on eBay UK.

1529018.jpg

And another shot from google image search showing how this type of mirror works.

062798b.jpg

·
Registered
21 Posts
That last picture looks like it's from a Saab. I have this on the passenger side of my 9-3, and I'd much prefer it on my FoST, not that I mind the setup it has.

Anyone know where to get that in the US?

Edit: I'm half asleep, but I looked again and that's a picture from a 9-5.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
687 Posts
I think I may like that better, too!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You guys are running away with my thread! Lol. I don't want convex anything (although I admit the UK ones are a little better).
I searched and I think I'm out of luck, seems like all 2012+ Focus models have the small convex mirrors... Oh well.

·
Registered
114 Posts
You guys are running away with my thread! Lol. I don't want convex anything (although I admit the UK ones are a little better).
I searched and I think I'm out of luck, seems like all 2012+ Focus models have the small convex mirrors... Oh well.
Sorry! Haha have you ever tried that style though? Like mentioned on the other page Saab did it, it's not really distracting and you get pretty good visibility out of it. I'll discontinue the thread jack from me now lol

·
Premium Member
3,575 Posts
Just be a baller and get rid of the mirrors and replace them with cameras. Just say'in lol

·
Premium Member
13,283 Posts
Try looking at the Escape mirrors. They share the same housing.

Sent from another garage.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Almost every Ford produced in the last 5 years has a a little convex mirror. Lincoln's, Fords, etc.. they all get them. So its difficult to find one without.

Your only hope is likely to pull the assembly apart and get a custom glass made, or find a glass from another MFG that fits the Focus mirrors.

·
Registered
114 Posts
So. I found this by accident because I'm now interested in getting the convex 1 piece mirrors for myself.
Ford Focus MK3 Mondeo MK3 Wing Mirror Electric Heated Glass Near Side 1117390 | eBay
and
Ford Focus MK3 Mondeo MK3 Wing Mirror Electric Heated Glass Offside RH 1117385 | eBay
the reflection is not distorted in the images. Doesn't necessarily mean anything but it might not hurt to message the seller and see if these are flat or if they are convex. That's not an outrageous price for what you are looking for either, about $30 for both, maybe a little lower if there's a combo shipping discount.

·
Premium Member
13,283 Posts
Almost every Ford produced in the last 5 years has a a little convex mirror. Lincoln's, Fords, etc.. they all get them. So its difficult to find one without.

Your only hope is likely to pull the assembly apart and get a custom glass made, or find a glass from another MFG that fits the Focus mirrors.
Not true. My mom's 16 escape doesn't have them. She has blind spot monitors.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry! Haha have you ever tried that style though? Like mentioned on the other page Saab did it, it's not really distracting and you get pretty good visibility out of it. I'll discontinue the thread jack from me now lol
I'm only kidding, you're fine.
Not true. My mom's 16 escape doesn't have them. She has blind spot monitors.

I think I found what you're talking about on eBaY. They don't have the convex mirror, BUT since they have that blindspot monitor built in they're pricey :/

1 - 20 of 21 Posts