Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a little background about me and my car before I begin. I am 38, and I drive my car slot of miles every year. I just passed 90k miles on my 13 focus st. I do mostly highway driving, but I venture into Baltimore and DC regularly. My review will be based on my car and driving atyle, which is usually the speed limit or slightly over with the occasional spirited highway ramp.

I have had K-sport coils on the st for the last 12 months, and the stock suspension before that for 3 years. I wanted to improve my suspension, so I pulled the trigger. After several positive feedbacks from other owners, I bought the street kit with the camber plates. Package was delivered in a week with no delays. Package comes with tracking and insurance for ups, and is packed in solid plain box. Inside, the retail box is solid, with each part individually wrapped with bubble wrap. Quality packaging for sure.

Once unpacked, components are solid and well designed. Each part exudes confidence. During the entire experience, only issue was a stuck dampening adjuster on a rear shock. Was able to loosen it with a pair of pliers and some gentle encouragement.

Install took approximately 5 hours, with all parts fitting perfectly. It would have been less, but we installed stainless front and rear brake lines and SPC camber arms. No issues at all for install.

I currently have the suspension set at 8/24 on dampening. I find it to be a bit stiff, but I am also reserving my opinion until the suspension settles and breaks in. I may choose to adjust dampening, or I may not. Pictures show how low my car is, which is pretty low. I still have about 1.5" left to drop front and rear, but I am already rubbing in front on aggressive turns. Current set up has approximately 4.5" clearance on side skirts. For reference, I am running 19×8.5 wheels, +38 offset, with 245/35/19 tires.

I hope this helps with anyone looking for a quality suspension under $1k.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
321 Posts
If it is not asking too much, can you finish the review?
I am curious about a bunch of things, such as, what all was included in the kit? Are you at max height right now, but still dropped to the point of rubbing?
The kit was sent out with an adjuster that was stuck?
I can see how you would adjust the front, how do you adjust dampening in the rear?

Love the wheels. and the car sits nice. I am also looking at 18x8.5 to run the 245 rubber. BUT don't want to be rubbing...

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it is not asking too much, can you finish the review?
I am curious about a bunch of things, such as, what all was included in the kit? Are you at max height right now, but still dropped to the point of rubbing?
The kit was sent out with an adjuster that was stuck?
I can see how you would adjust the front, how do you adjust dampening in the rear?

Love the wheels. and the car sits nice. I am also looking at 18x8.5 to run the 245 rubber. BUT don't want to be rubbing...
I will try my best to answer your questions.

1. The kit includes front and rear coils, the front being integrated struts with coils, and the rear being drop springs and shocks. Also includes two spanner wrenches for height adjustment and four dampening adjustment Allen wrenches.

2. I am nowhere near max height, and I still have about an inch or so front and rear to go lower, although my current wheel setup doesn't allow much more room to go lower.

3. Yes, the rear shock was stuck, but only because it appeared to be tight from the factory. The adjustment wrench head is amall, and I couldn't get the grip to turn it. Not a huge deal. The company that sold it to me was ready to order a new shock, but we fixed the problem.

4. The rear shock has adjustment point at the top of the shock, just like the front struts. You have two options for in car adjustment front and rear. The first is to preset the adjustment before installation, and then remove the suspension to adjust. This is a pain. The second option is to drill holes. A 2" hole saw for the fronts right where the strut tower brace is mounted gives room to adjust the front. The seats are simply a hole drilled through the rear wheel well at the top. That way you can adjust dampening while on the car.

Hope that helps some.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
YEs, thanks. Very helpful.

Final question. How do you like the ride, and how would you compare it to stock?

MW
The ride currently is much stiffer than stock, but I have not fine tuned the dampening. I don't believe it will ever be a soft as stock, but it can get much softer. I am significantly lower than stock, so that reduces spring and shock travel to absorb bumps. This leads to an inherent stiffness that will never be remedied without airride.

·
Registered
1 Posts
AVOID ! AVOID !
completely , i installed gecko coilovers on my 2012 civic and i lost ride quality , handling and i was going to have an accident , i also discovered that i had a faulty spring rear and wheel mount from day one which they refused to change , not mentioning the clunking and noisy sounds ... i just threw them away and saved my soul

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2013 ST3
804 Posts
AVOID ! AVOID !
completely , i installed gecko coilovers on my 2012 civic and i lost ride quality , handling and i was going to have an accident , i also discovered that i had a faulty spring rear and wheel mount from day one which they refused to change , not mentioning the clunking and noisy sounds ... i just threw them away and saved my soul
You're a little late to the game, ain't ya'?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts