Ford Focus ST Forum banner

Gear Head Tuned G25 550 stock fuel dyno results

32K views 138 replies 19 participants last post by  Dirtfiend602 
#1 · (Edited)
I just wanted to share my resent build and dyno results. I am extremely surprised we hit the numbers we did. build is as follows:

garrett g25 550 .72 ar
mishimoto intercooler
3P performance hot side piping with tial BOV
External Tial WG with 3P performance dump tube
Mishimoto cold side pipe
downpipe to MBRP
JLT 3.0 catch can
Stock fuel system
rear motormount
Gear Head dyno tuned 24.5 psi final

dyno pull:

Uncorrected at 60*
Font Parallel Pattern Slope Rectangle

See less See more
1 1
#3 ·
#8 ·
Thats pretty close to what i did on the dyno day i went to last year, except i'm running e40 on two port aux. Do you have a full scan of the results with the rpm and boost plotted? Curious to see when the turbo fully comes on.

did the shop say how their dyno runs? Doesnt sound like a heartbreaker :)

#9 ·
Thats pretty close to what i did on the dyno day i went to last year, except i'm running e40 on two port aux. Do you have a full scan of the results with the rpm and boost plotted? Curious to see when the turbo fully comes on.

did the shop say how their dyno runs? Doesnt sound like a heartbreaker :)
I work for Gear Head luckily. I can take a full picture of the graph ya. Dyno was unlinked of course with 15% load. It does seam high I agree

#14 ·
I can’t explain why it’s high but there is no trickery here. 15% load on dyno 93 octane. We have a high range of vehicles on this dyno with normal numbers.

#15 ·
Jelly

#20 · (Edited)
nah not jelly, kinda doesn't make sense, stock fuel limit is supposed to be around 380 whp max IIRC.(that too you are really pushing for a record not daily)
I was already on the fence with G25, but I am not worried since there is a AUX fuel kit also going in with 2867r. If I can get 400 whp with G25 on stock fuel, why even install the AUX kit(besides its cleaning effectiveness).

Unless there are other benefits?

edit: okay yea see, we also did our research around here lol, OP I wasn't questioning your numbers just with all the previous info I personally gathered + the general consensus here made those numbers look inflated.
but I read the thread and like Deuce said BASELINE matters.
its not about being "jelly" lol

#19 · (Edited)
Damn thing is out of fuel injector at 5500 rpms going to see if I can stretch them further. It picked up 20 hp with just cam timing changes at the same boost. It made 390 corrected, the extra 10 was without correction on a 60 degree day. I suspect the car had a tune in it when it was purchased although not much of one.

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

#21 ·
I dyno’ed 366, 367, 368 whp on 93 with a G25-550 .92a/r. The guy before me had a 2018 civic R FBO on 93 and he went 340 whp. The biggest loser(not really but you could see his disappointment) was a guy with a 2020 Charger Daytona with paper Virginia tags that only made 598(727 hp on paper) on back to back runs. He left shortly after. He said it was past the 2k break in limiting HP.

#31 ·
I have wondered why these cars need to go to Aux fuel?
Can't the two fuel pumps and injectors be upgraded for the BT upgrades?
Is it just cheaper to go to a 2 port or 4 port aux fuel then doing that?
Or are you all doing all of that to make the power?

#32 ·
I have wondered why these cars need to go to Aux fuel?
Can't the two fuel pumps and injectors be upgraded for the BT upgrades?
Is it just cheaper to go to a 2 port or 4 port aux fuel then doing that?
Or are you all doing all of that to make the power?
You can upgrade the HPFP and injectors instead of aux fuel but its extremely expensive.

#33 ·
We are looking into possible low cost solutions but the factory injectors don't flow enough to make good hp at high rpm. The injectors can't meet the proper injection window requirements even with a bunch of widening of the window parameters. At 5500 rpms we couldn't maintain .82 lambda at our current power level. I patched it by running 2700 psi of rail pressure and reducing boost slightly to keep it happy.

#34 ·
yup, there we go you found the stock fuel limit.
now you can understand why I was a lil skeptical about the fuel at higher RPM's
For this turbo you definitely need an aux kit or HPFP/Injector upgrade. Looking forward to your end results :)

#46 ·
So what is your tuning device? Are you a SCT guy or HP tuners?

How much experience with the 4 bangers? 1.6, 2.0, 2.3?

We are always keeping an eye out for tuners, for various reasons, just thought I'd find out a bit more about what you do, and what you offer.

#48 ·
We have a 17 mustang 2.3 in the shop fleet mostly SCT but have also can do Cobb and ngauge depending on application. The 4 cylinder stuff took a back seat to our bread and butter diesel, 3.5 and 2.7. www.ghtuning.com

Sweet, good to know.

For SCT our main tuner is Torrie at Unleashed.

Heck, Torrie tuned my Edge Sport. About to start spraying meth in it, lol.

#51 ·
hey buddy!

#53 ·
I plugged all but one bottom air port and left h20 open. Make sure you leave your top port vented

this is a good schematic except for the top port, that needs to remain vented.

#56 · (Edited)
A rod-keeping torque limit I put in there for when the turbo spools harder than I want. I plan on cleaning that up a bit when we do a couple of fuel system upgrades down the road... But in normal driving you will never be in that spot even at wot because you would only pass it once in 1st gear and there wouldn't be enough load on the turbo to generate that boost level.

#65 ·
How is the chatter on those? i hear it gets better in time.

#67 ·
Update! Stage 3+ clutch going in! No more slippy slippy

Attachments

#68 ·
Yay!!!

#70 ·
Saving up for a fuel pump and injectors at the moment. Internals are going to be neededat that point im sure. id I imagine we will run this setup for 6 months or so. I am super happy with the reliability so far on this 100k motor as we havent had a single issue after the install and dyno. It is going to be very very VERY hard to not give her the beans while breaking this clutch in lol.

Reactions: TurboGT
#72 ·
Let's disregard the fueling capabilities of a stock system. If you calculate air flow at max power (5700 rpm, 25PSI, 100% VE efficiency) you get around 38lbs/min. According to Garrett it's max 38*10.5= 399hp at the crank. If we assume the losses (at 5700rpm) are around 30hp, it translates to a maximum of 370WHP. All these input values are at the upper limit - very optimistic.

Quoted from Garrett:
What is my mass flow rate? As a very general rule, turbocharged gasoline engines will generate 9.5-10.5 horsepower (as measured at the flywheel) for each lb/min of airflow.

#73 ·
Stage 3+ clutch is broken in now finally and got my first race under my belt. Was a 17 mustang 5.0 i believe all stock except for exhaust. 40 roll on highway. I bus length gapped it! So happy with result!

#74 ·
Next mod going in this coming weekend! Stoked for this one. Will be for cleaning and cooling. I do not want to go dedicated on the tune for so many reasons.

Attachments

Reactions: TurboGT
#77 ·
If you want some ideas on mounting the tank, pump, etc, go take a look at my install thread.

Be forewarned, though, that if you use this location and routing of the lines, you're going to need a 25' section, as the 20' line isn't long enough.

Fwiw, i got about 25 ft/lbs of torque out of it using the 500 cc pintle. Brian tuned it pretty mildly, too, so it won't nuke the motor if it happened to fail. Just an idea to tune it a little for wmi, just so you can take advantage of a few more degrees of advance.

#76 ·
I want to do a mixture of methanol. Not sure yet. Our tuning style at gear head is auto octane, so i want to get an octane boost from the meth. Should add a bit of timing. unless washer fluid adds an octane boost. Still learning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.