Ford Focus ST Forum banner
101 - 120 of 120 Posts

· Registered
616 Posts
Meth kit is done! oh boy oh boy is the car even more rowdy
Your fueling with the WMI? If you are fueling what ratio Water to meth are you using? What’s your failsafe strategy(like tripping a Guardian angel to open the BOV) to save the engine if the WMI fails to keep the AFR in a safe range?

· Registered
2014 ST3
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Your fueling with the WMI? If you are fueling what ratio Water to meth are you using? What’s your failsafe strategy(like tripping a Guardian angel to open the BOV) to save the engine if the WMI fails to keep the AFR in a safe range?
We are not dedicated tuning for the meth. using it for cleaning, cooling, and a bit of octane boost. you can tell it is adding timing. we have fail safes in place with tuning.

Reactions: MailmanMike

· Registered
2014 ST3
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 · (Edited)
I've been deciding between a G25-500 .72 and a GTX2867 Gen2 .64. I believe the 2867 fully kicks in at 3500rpm. When does the G25 fully kick in?
The .72 ar has very little lag. It’s around the same as the 2867 3300-3500. I guess it also depends on your power goals. EWG is the way to go if you are wanting more than 400 whp i believe. I think the 2867 is internal waste gated if my memory serves me correct. They are limited past a certain hp. EWG is good for higher hp.

· Super Moderator
2018 Ford Focus ST1 with a 2867 gen 2
2,620 Posts
Meth kit is done! oh boy oh boy is the car even more rowdy
Nice job on the install. Looks similar to how I set mine up in the trunk. Are you running the 1000 cc pintle or the 500?

· Registered
2014 ST3
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
Nice job on the install. Looks similar to how I set mine up in the trunk. Are you running the 1000 cc pintle or the 500?
Thanks. 500cc right now.

Reactions: rob99rt

· Registered
579 Posts
So I installed a G25-550 as well, same A/R. 4 port Aux fuel and E30 I made 400whp ( mustang dyno) at 29psi. However after a day of dyno tuning, the turbo blew that night. Long story short Garrett warrantied it, and it’s back in now. I’ve put a speed sensor in the turbo, and gauge in the car, and the turbo is running over speed (max 185,000) at 21lbs. Have you monitored speed or noticed any issues? Tuner (stratified) thinks it’s a boost leak, I doubt it but will be checking again. Anyone else have any ideas?

· Registered
2014 ST3
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
So I installed a G25-550 as well, same A/R. 4 port Aux fuel and E30 I made 400whp ( mustang dyno) at 29psi. However after a day of dyno tuning, the turbo blew that night. Long story short Garrett warrantied it, and it’s back in now. I’ve put a speed sensor in the turbo, and gauge in the car, and the turbo is running over speed (max 185,000) at 21lbs. Have you monitored speed or noticed any issues? Tuner (stratified) thinks it’s a boost leak, I doubt it but will be checking again. Anyone else have any ideas?
That kind of odd. Im running 25 lbs and still have room to grow on turbo. Ill have to relook at an HP log to see where we are on turbo speed. I do have fuel pump and injectors on the way, so ill be updating the this post pretty soon anyway. We ran out of fuel when dyno tuning, but there was much more room on the turbo. I would do a leak down. if tuning is asking for a certain PSI and you have a leak, that will over work the turbo.

· Registered
616 Posts
I can’t say what my shaft speed is but my G25-550 .92 a/r has over 50k on it. From 94k to 123k it was on a 93 octane tune making 370 dyno’ed. I can’t remember what the boost was but think it was at 25 psi. I added 4 PI at 123k and ran that to 137k on e85 at 28.5 psi. That made 450/450 whp/wtq and blew on the dyno at 6200 RPMs. I’m now still tuning my stroker build. This turbo made it threw a spectacular engine failure and is over 145k on the car. This turbo should last many 10’s of thousands of miles.

Reactions: rob99rt and TurboGT

· Registered
616 Posts
@MailmanMike your turbo was still good after the engine blew?
[/QUOTE]
The turbo was fine. No fragments caught in the cat on the DP, no oil or coolant in the hot side housing.

The engine failure was not a slow burn like piston or rings that might have sent debris threw the exhaust for many miles. My engine bent a rod which broke in spectacular fashion. When I stripped the block down the breaks on both side were only about 2 or 3 inches from the deck. It was as close to split in two as I’ve seen.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Gas Machine

Gas Machine Metal Differential Auto part

Automotive tire Auto part Metal Machine Automotive wheel system

Reactions: TurboGT

· Super Moderator
2018 Ford Focus ST1 with a 2867 gen 2
2,620 Posts
@MailmanMike your turbo was still good after the engine blew?
The turbo was fine. No fragments caught in the cat on the DP, no oil or coolant in the hot side housing.

The engine failure was not a slow burn like piston or rings that might have sent debris threw the exhaust for many miles. My engine bent a rod which broke in spectacular fashion. When I stripped the block down the breaks on both side were only about 2 or 3 inches from the deck. It was as close to split in two as I’ve seen.

[snipped out pictures]
[/QUOTE]

Insert Darth Vader picture....

Impressive... most impressive....

· Registered
2014 ST3
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 · (Edited)
Heads up! Just got new upgrades for the g25 focus. hopefully have new numbers soon with 2000cc injectors and XDI EVO. stock motor still, so we arent going to full send it just yet. Not sure what is "safe" power on stock motor. Let me know if you have insight. I also need a good recommendation on an LSD please sirs

Computer keyboard Input device Office supplies Auto part Tool

Aluminium foil Fluid Gas Plastic Glass

· Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
9,373 Posts
425 seems to be the max safe, but that's a big generalization.

I think this also depends on the turbo. You have a g25 which spools fast and is therefore harder on the internals in the midrange. @MailmanMike had his fail at 450 although I think he was running the 25-660. @Tunapish is running a 3071 and is at 480whp and has been for some time on the stock engine, but that's a large and laggy turbo, in comparison

· Registered
2014 ST3
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
425 seems to be the max safe, but that's a big generalization.

I think this also depends on the turbo. You have a g25 which spools fast and is therefore harder on the internals in the midrange. @MailmanMike had his fail at 450 although I think he was running the 25-660. @Tunapish is running a 3071 and is at 480whp and has been for some time on the stock engine, but that's a large and laggy turbo, in comparison
cool thanks. I was gunna stop it at 450 until i can build me a motor. opinion on any particular LSD? Qauife, Mfactory?

· Super Moderator
9,373 Posts
cool thanks. I was gunna stop it at 450 until i can build me a motor. opinion on any particular LSD? Qauife, Mfactory?
I have a wavetrac. But either of the above options will be great!

There's some really good install threads here that helped me with it. FYI the general rule of thumb, the guidance of Clarke's transmission tech department, and what I ran into personally when I installed mine , was you reuse the existing preload shim because the shim is for case tolerances, not the carrier.

· Registered
2014 ST3
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
I have a wavetrac. But either of the above options will be great!

There's some really good install threads here that helped me with it. FYI the general rule of thumb, the guidance of Clarke's transmission tech department, and what I ran into personally when I installed mine , was you reuse the existing preload shim because the shim is for case tolerances, not the carrier.
10-4. thank you!

Reactions: TurboGT

· Super Moderator
9,373 Posts
10-4. thank you!
You're welcome.

To be clear, when you read these threads they all talk about shimming. This was a newer mod back in those days when those were written. There have been so many done now that everyone has realized the stock shim is the right shim. I was too OCD to not check mine against the test shim despite getting this advice. But when I did, my stock shim ended up being the proper size like I was told.

I used the ford racing install kit for the bearings and ring gear bolts.

Watch Motor vehicle Machine Engineering Metal

Automotive tire Product Gear Crankset Bicycle part

· Registered
2014 ST3
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
You're welcome.

To be clear, when you read these threads they all talk about shimming. This was a newer mod back in those days when those were written. There have been so many done now that everyone has realized the stock shim is the right shim. I was too OCD to not check mine against the test shim despite getting this advice. But when I did, my stock shim ended up being the proper size like I was told.

I used the ford racing install kit for the bearings and ring gear bolts.

View attachment 413995

View attachment 413993
Good info, thank you. 1 last thing, for now... hehe. If i wanted to grab a cheap motor to build to have ready when stock one pops, do i need to stick with 13 and 14 motor since mine is 2014?

· Super Moderator
13,021 Posts
Good info, thank you. 1 last thing, for now... hehe. If i wanted to grab a cheap motor to build to have ready when stock one pops, do i need to stick with 13 and 14 motor since mine is 2014?
Any ST engine and any of these are single scroll engines and will work.
2010– Ford Mondeo
2011–2015 Ford Explorer
2011–2014 Ford Edge
2011– 2017 Range Rover Evoque
2011– Ford S-MAX
2012–2016 Ford Falcon
2013–2015 Ford Escape / Kuga
2013–2015 Land Rover Freelander 2
2013–2016 Ford Fusion
2013–2017 Ford Taurus
2013 – 2015 Lincoln MKZ
2015 – 2017 Land Rover Discovery Sport
2015– Lincoln MKC

· Registered
2014 ST3
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
Any ST engine and any of these are single scroll engines and will work.
2010– Ford Mondeo
2011–2015 Ford Explorer
2011–2014 Ford Edge
2011– 2017 Range Rover Evoque
2011– Ford S-MAX
2012–2016 Ford Falcon
2013–2015 Ford Escape / Kuga
2013–2015 Land Rover Freelander 2
2013–2016 Ford Fusion
2013–2017 Ford Taurus
2013 – 2015 Lincoln MKZ
2015 – 2017 Land Rover Discovery Sport
2015– Lincoln MKC
oh dang, thats the list i was looking for! Thank you!

Reactions: Dirtfiend602
101 - 120 of 120 Posts