Ford Focus ST Forum banner
81 - 100 of 117 Posts

· Super Moderator
2018 Ford Focus ST1 with a 2867 gen 2
2,611 Posts
Thank you for the info. Will def read your thread. Was thinking about tapping into power off the amp in the rear. heard of anyone doing this? any cons you can think of?
I ran a separate power wire from a new mega fuse I put on the car. It's hooked up to a relay that gets energized from a trigger wire in the fuse box up front. It's all in the thread I linked, but the electrical stuff was all done according to suggestions and planning from @SSgtjrobertson . If I want to disable the whole system all I have to do is pull one small fuse.

· Registered
2014 ST3
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
I ran a separate power wire from a new mega fuse I put on the car. It's hooked up to a relay that gets energized from a trigger wire in the fuse box up front. It's all in the thread I linked, but the electrical stuff was all done according to suggestions and planning from @SSgtjrobertson . If I want to disable the whole system all I have to do is pull one small fuse.
Ya i saw that, was reading the post. i have a week of research to do before the wife takes the baby out town for 4 days for her sisters baby shower. A weekend just me the dog and a meth injection system to install. life is good.

Reactions: rob99rt and TurboGT

· Registered
2014 ST3
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
There is a fuse box in the rear on the left side behind a removable panel. Do you know if a fuse tap can be utilized there?

· Registered
2014 ST3
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
What do you mean by this?
Our Performance tuning on the ecoboost platform will adjust automatically based on what octane fuel you are running. The tune will read 87-95 octane fuels and adjust timing and boost. Keeps from having to change tunes depending on the fuel you put in the vehicle.

· Super Moderator
3,194 Posts
Our Performance tuning on the ecoboost platform will adjust automatically based on what octane fuel you are running. The tune will read 87-95 octane fuels and adjust timing and boost. Keeps from having to change tunes depending on the fuel you put in the vehicle.
oooh this is good news I like hearing this, looks like you guys are the 2nd tuner I've hard of who are doing this. Good to see more people leveraging this functionality. Do you have a method that allows this to work on big turbo? or just the stock turbo?

· Registered
2014 ST3
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
oooh this is good news I like hearing this, looks like you guys are the 2nd tuner I've hard of who are doing this. Good to see more people leveraging this functionality. Do you have a method that allows this to work on big turbo? or just the stock turbo?
the car in this thread is auto octane.

Reactions: junits15

· Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
9,354 Posts
the car in this thread is auto octane.
That's awesome.

Have you guys done in house testing on 87 to test the functionality of this with the big turbo??

As i mentioned previously, i run your adaptive octane tune on my f150 and am very happy with it. This would open a large margin of safety for big turbo guys though!

· Registered
2014 ST3
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
That's awesome.

Have you guys done in house testing on 87 to test the functionality of this with the big turbo??

As i mentioned previously, i run your adaptive octane tune on my f150 and am very happy with it. This would open a large margin of safety for big turbo guys though!
I have only run 93 since tuning it. We stay extremely busy so finding time to work on personal vehicles is hard. We dont really have a Focus market since there are so many good tuners already out there on this platform. Also seams like everyone wants the Cobb AP and we are primarily on SCT. I had to wait quite a long time to get mine on the dyno for the big turbo tuning since its hard to find time.

Reactions: TurboGT

· Registered
2014 ST3
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
That's awesome.

To my knowledge the ecoboost platforms use an auto octane stock calibration style. The owners here have figured out how to enhance the stock tuning for performance while leaving full diagnostics on for safety.

· Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
9,354 Posts
To my knowledge the ecoboost platforms use an auto octane stock calibration style. The owners here have figured out how to enhance the stock tuning for performance while leaving full diagnostics on for safety.
Yeah they do from the factory, and the implementation of that can still be used on stock turbo (hence monster doing the adapt-x tune) but i just didnt think the ECM had a capability to manage proper octane learning with a big turbo. I'd imagine the car would still be reduced to 240hp or something on 87 if this works the way it's designed to on the stock turbo. I'm really interested in if this works if you guys ever get time to try it out. I would never ever run anything but 93 or e30 if i had the choice, but what it would show me is the ability to adapt to fuel quality changes even at the 400hp level.

· Super Moderator
3,194 Posts
I have only run 93 since tuning it. We stay extremely busy so finding time to work on personal vehicles is hard. We dont really have a Focus market since there are so many good tuners already out there on this platform. Also seams like everyone wants the Cobb AP and we are primarily on SCT. I had to wait quite a long time to get mine on the dyno for the big turbo tuning since its hard to find time.
If you add octane learning to a commercially available tune you’ll have a feature that currently only one other tuner is using right now. It’s a very rare thing in the focus market.

· Registered
2014 ST3
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Yeah they do from the factory, and the implementation of that can still be used on stock turbo (hence monster doing the adapt-x tune) but i just didnt think the ECM had a capability to manage proper octane learning with a big turbo. I'd imagine the car would still be reduced to 240hp or something on 87 if this works the way it's designed to on the stock turbo. I'm really interested in if this works if you guys ever get time to try it out. I would never ever run anything but 93 or e30 if i had the choice, but what it would show me is the ability to adapt to fuel quality changes even at the 400hp level.
my stock turbo tune was auto octane as well. i just dont know when i can get back on the dyno if we decided to see what numbers were on 87.

· Registered
2014 ST3
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
If you add octane learning to a commercially available tune you’ll have a feature that currently only one other tuner is using right now. It’s a very rare thing in the focus market.
we have support for auto octane on stock turbo, we just dont push it because there are so many other tuning companies that have the market cornered. especially with the Cobb AP, which we are on SCT. not alot of folks want to use it or switch.

· Super Moderator
3,194 Posts
we have support for auto octane on stock turbo, we just dont push it because there are so many other tuning companies that have the market cornered. especially with the Cobb AP, which we are on SCT. not alot of folks want to use it or switch.
Fair enough, just always like to see new methods and ideas applied to the platform

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
2014 ST3
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
Fair enough, just always like to see new methods and ideas applied to the platform

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
what year is your focus? i could probably talk a tuner into throwing a tune out for grins if you have an SCT device

· Registered
2014 ST3
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
Meth kit is done! oh boy oh boy is the car even more rowdy

Attachments

Reactions: rob99rt
81 - 100 of 117 Posts