Ford Focus ST Forum banner
61 - 80 of 120 Posts

· Administrator
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 6spd, 2019 Mustang Bullitt
15,331 Posts
In what way?
For some reason, they have failed on quite a few members here.

The springs in the sprung hub broke apart in mine, then mauled the friction service. 20k-ish miles iirc, stock turbo.

Spec's response, "My trans alignment dowels must be worn." Lmao.

Had to replace the flywheel fiction ring, and clutch/PP. Didnt have the coin to switch brands and flywheels, so went 3+ spec.

The 2+ abd lwfw had nothing but issues on Stealths build, and a few others.

So, not a huge sample size, but lots of different issues with the 2+ being the common denominator.

I have like 30k on a 3+ now. I have pics of the 2+carnage in my build thread, in my sig.

Reactions: W4R

· Registered
2014 ST3
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 · (Edited)
For some reason, they have failed on quite a few members here.

The springs in the sprung hub broke apart in mine, then mauled the friction service. 20k-ish miles iirc, stock turbo.

Spec's response, "My trans alignment dowels must be worn." Lmao.

Had to replace the flywheel fiction ring, and clutch/PP. Didnt have the coin to switch brands and flywheels, so went 3+ spec.

The 2+ abd lwfw had nothing but issues on Stealths build, and a few others.

So, not a huge sample size, but lots of different issues with the 2+ being the common denominator.

I have like 30k on a 3+ now. I have pics of the 2+carnage in my build thread, in my sig.
Ok, thanks for the info. Ill error on the side of caution. Stage 3+ ordered

Reactions: Duece McCracken

· Administrator
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 6spd, 2019 Mustang Bullitt
15,331 Posts
Ok, thanks for the info. Ill error on the side of caution. Stage 3+ ordered

Yeah, I didn't listen when somebody told me, and it was bad. Intermittent clutch failure from the spring retainers getting between the friction surface and flywheel. It was not great at all. Very premature failure.

The 3+ though, a ton of us run it, and it's good to go. Very easy to drive too.

· Registered
2014 ST3
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
How is the chatter on those? i hear it gets better in time.

· Registered
2014 ST3
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Update! Stage 3+ clutch going in! No more slippy slippy

Attachments

· Registered
2014 ST3
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Yay!!!

· Registered
2014 ST3
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Hopefully it treats you well! When's it going back on the dyno 😎
Saving up for a fuel pump and injectors at the moment. Internals are going to be neededat that point im sure. id I imagine we will run this setup for 6 months or so. I am super happy with the reliability so far on this 100k motor as we havent had a single issue after the install and dyno. It is going to be very very VERY hard to not give her the beans while breaking this clutch in lol.

Reactions: TurboGT

· Registered
3,743 Posts
Saving up for a fuel pump and injectors at the moment. Internals are going to be neededat that point im sure. id I imagine we will run this setup for 6 months or so. I am super happy with the reliability so far on this 100k motor as we havent had a single issue after the install and dyno. It is going to be very very VERY hard to not give her the beans while breaking this clutch in lol.
Yeah taking it easy is the worst. Just know when you can finally rip it, it will hold all you can give it

· Registered
61 Posts
Let's disregard the fueling capabilities of a stock system. If you calculate air flow at max power (5700 rpm, 25PSI, 100% VE efficiency) you get around 38lbs/min. According to Garrett it's max 38*10.5= 399hp at the crank. If we assume the losses (at 5700rpm) are around 30hp, it translates to a maximum of 370WHP. All these input values are at the upper limit - very optimistic.

Quoted from Garrett:
What is my mass flow rate? As a very general rule, turbocharged gasoline engines will generate 9.5-10.5 horsepower (as measured at the flywheel) for each lb/min of airflow.

· Registered
2014 ST3
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Stage 3+ clutch is broken in now finally and got my first race under my belt. Was a 17 mustang 5.0 i believe all stock except for exhaust. 40 roll on highway. I bus length gapped it! So happy with result!

· Registered
2014 ST3
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Next mod going in this coming weekend! Stoked for this one. Will be for cleaning and cooling. I do not want to go dedicated on the tune for so many reasons.

Attachments

· Registered
2014 ST3
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
So will you just run washer fluid, since you're not tuning for it?
I want to do a mixture of methanol. Not sure yet. Our tuning style at gear head is auto octane, so i want to get an octane boost from the meth. Should add a bit of timing. unless washer fluid adds an octane boost. Still learning.

· Super Moderator
2018 Ford Focus ST1 with a 2867 gen 2
2,620 Posts
Next mod going in this coming weekend! Stoked for this one. Will be for cleaning and cooling. I do not want to go dedicated on the tune for so many reasons.
If you want some ideas on mounting the tank, pump, etc, go take a look at my install thread.

Be forewarned, though, that if you use this location and routing of the lines, you're going to need a 25' section, as the 20' line isn't long enough.

Fwiw, i got about 25 ft/lbs of torque out of it using the 500 cc pintle. Brian tuned it pretty mildly, too, so it won't nuke the motor if it happened to fail. Just an idea to tune it a little for wmi, just so you can take advantage of a few more degrees of advance.

· Registered
2014 ST3
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
If you want some ideas on mounting the tank, pump, etc, go take a look at my install thread.

Be forewarned, though, that if you use this location and routing of the lines, you're going to need a 25' section, as the 20' line isn't long enough.

Fwiw, i got about 25 ft/lbs of torque out of it using the 500 cc pintle. Brian tuned it pretty mildly, too, so it won't nuke the motor if it happened to fail. Just an idea to tune it a little for wmi, just so you can take advantage of a few more degrees of advance.
Thank you for the info. Will def read your thread. Was thinking about tapping into power off the amp in the rear. heard of anyone doing this? any cons you can think of?

· Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
9,373 Posts
I want to do a mixture of methanol. Not sure yet. Our tuning style at gear head is auto octane, so i want to get an octane boost from the meth. Should add a bit of timing. unless washer fluid adds an octane boost. Still learning.
Peak brand washer fluid has the highest concentration of methanol in it. I looked up the MSDS on it and they specify UP TO 23% if memory serves (so that grey area is why you wouldn't necessarily tune for it) And you can find the stuff practically everyhere and its cheap.

· Registered
2014 ST3
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 · (Edited)
Peak brand washer fluid has the highest concentration of methanol in it. I looked up the MSDS on it and they specify UP TO 23% if memory serves (so that grey area is why you wouldn't necessarily tune for it) And you can find the stuff practically everyhere and its cheap.
Well you just answered that question thank you. Peak washer fluid it is. Like i mentioned i still have lots to learn. First car i have modified all myself. Started working at a tuning company 2 years ago. have learned alot working there.

61 - 80 of 120 Posts