Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a ‘13 ST which I recently purchased and has not had the purge valve recall addressed yet at 58k miles. Previous owner said he never had issues with any of the symptoms of needing it done. Now I am noticing that upon filling up my gas gauge will go beyond full and sit there for a few days then quickly start going down showing that I’m using a 1/4 tank about every 35-40 miles. Car says I’m getting about 23mpg but only 215 miles of range on a fill up. Stage 3 panda tuned. Is there an issue or am I being paranoid? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a ‘13 ST which I recently purchased and has not had the purge valve recall addressed yet at 58k miles. Previous owner said he never had issues with any of the symptoms of needing it done. Now I am noticing that upon filling up my gas gauge will go beyond full and sit there for a few days then quickly start going down showing that I’m using a 1/4 tank about every 35-40 miles. Car says I’m getting about 23mpg but only 215 miles of range on a fill up. Stage 3 panda tuned. Is there an issue or am I being paranoid? Thanks in advance.
In my experience we have a relatively small fuel tank, I have never put more than 10 gallons in so if you average 23mpg and you get about 215 miles out of it that’s pretty normal however the gas gauge being wonky like that is not something I have experienced but I had my Purge valve recall done.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hard to tell honestly, my car has done that for most of the time I’ve had it (also stage 3 panda tuned). I have gotten the purge valve recall done though so I’m not too worried about it. If you want to be on the safe side you could always get the recall done. I’m pretty sure they replace the gas tank if it’s deformed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I've always noticed on my '13 that the needle stays at full longer and then starts dropping down faster after that.

How many gallons are you getting in your tank? When the tank starts to get sucked in, it shows abysmal range. See here for an example:

If you are just getting poor mpg, which low 20's is normal for city driving (or lots of spirited driving) i think you are fine. If you are hand calculating your mpgs and the range isnt anywhere near where you should be for the amount of fuel used(you should be able to fit near 10gal if you drive under a quarter tank/fuel light situation) then get worried (or you know, just take your car in for the recall ;))

·
Registered
36 Posts
My 2 cents and case.

Every car I've owned when you top off the tank, the needle goes past the full and it doesn't start dipping right away, usually takes 40+miles. That, I think it's normal.

Gas tank, I can't put more than 10 gallons either. My issue is that once I hit 1/4 tank left or about 60mte (miles to empty) I need to race(as in time) and hit a gas station like I'm about to sh*t myself. That 60mte drops about a mile every 30 seconds or so( driving about 35mph roads). The needle also drops very quick. First time it happened I almost ran out of gas. Mte said 40mte, gas light came on and less than 3 miles later, the needle was just under the E line. Thankfully a Sunoco was right there. That was the only time my tank has taken 10.5 gallons of fuel.
Stock tune 65k miles bought it recently too. Open recall as well for tank deform.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts