Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm looking at putting a spacer under my gas pedal to help improve my heel toe... I know about several of the already available products, but I can't justify the cost of them since I have a 3D printer at work that I could create one on. I found a drawing for a spacer for the Fiesta ST here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1369818 but I'm not sure if it would be compatible with the Focus. Does anyone know if it is or isn't compatible? If not, does anyone have a design already made that they could e-mail it to me?

Also, for those of you that may have already installed one, what thickness did you find works most comfortable? I'm hearing 1/4" seems to be the best.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Don't quote me on this, but I don't think they are the same fitment. You're better off getting the dimensions on one made for the Focus, or do the measuring for the holes and everything yourself.

·
Registered
420 Posts
It's a spacer behind the air pedal that makes it even with the brake so you can operate the air pedal and the brake at the same time.

·
Registered
660 Posts
What's a gas pedal spacer?
Most are adjustable billet aluminum block that bolts where the gas peal bolts on the body. The gas pedal then bolts onto it in order to raise the gas pedal to be parallel with the brake pedal instead of the 2 inches lower it comes from factory.

Factory...

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/...lfMhkoQQnXqJ3idSikVMWkXqm9skvavOaBvfxSPPytehw

Spacer...

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/...lfMhkoQQnXqJ3idSikVMWkXqm9skvavOaBvfxSPPytehw

Pedal with spacer...

http://www.focusst.org/forum/attach...acer-ford-focus-st-pedal_spacer_installed.jpg

Reactions: j1ntran

·
Registered
660 Posts
Hi everyone,

I'm looking at putting a spacer under my gas pedal to help improve my heel toe... I know about several of the already available products, but I can't justify the cost of them since I have a 3D printer at work that I could create one on. I found a drawing for a spacer for the Fiesta ST here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1369818 but I'm not sure if it would be compatible with the Focus. Does anyone know if it is or isn't compatible? If not, does anyone have a design already made that they could e-mail it to me?

Also, for those of you that may have already installed one, what thickness did you find works most comfortable? I'm hearing 1/4" seems to be the best.
That spacer is not the same. They have 3d printed ones for sale but I am not sure about the plans. Easy enough to make if you can make the plans yourself. Just unbolt the gas pedal and measure the placement of the bolts.

Reactions: zerocoolxx

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That spacer is not the same. They have 3d printed ones for sale but I am not sure about the plans. Easy enough to make if you can make the plans yourself. Just unbolt the gas pedal and measure the placement of the bolts.
Like I said in the original post, I can't justify the cost of buying one when I have access to a 3D printer. I'm not the guy that operates the printer, so I don't know how to make the plans either, lol. I removed the gas pedal and measured everything already, but idk if my drawing will be sufficient. I guess we'll have to see. At least I know the plans for a Fiesta won't work. Thanks for that.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Like I said in the original post, I can't justify the cost of buying one when I have access to a 3D printer. I'm not the guy that operates the printer, so I don't know how to make the plans either, lol. I removed the gas pedal and measured everything already, but idk if my drawing will be sufficient. I guess we'll have to see. At least I know the plans for a Fiesta won't work. Thanks for that.
Hey, if you don't mind, please would you share the drawings if you come right. I'd like to print one too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
548 Posts
Just buy one, take measurements, then return it.

Reactions: jam360nml

·
Registered
67 Posts
If you are going to make one, I wouldn't suggest buying a unit, duplicating it and returning it. For one this isn't helping the people who took the time to bring a product to market. Two, you may not being taking into consideration some of their design decisions potentially critical to function.

If you decide to go ahead...
For thickness I have found about 1" to be about right. Other considerations to take into account if you are designing this yourself:
- As your OEM studs won't reach through the pedal you are going to have to figure out how secure the spacer to the floor board with a flush top surface then secure the pedal to the spacer. You don't want either of these connections to let loose while you are on the road.
- The back face of the pedal assembly has two alignment features that will need to fit into reliefs in your spacer otherwise it will not sit flat
- The OEM pedal and bracket are not very stiff laterally and adding to the stack up height increased the deflection. I would make sure the foot print of your spacer on the bracket matches that of the pedal other wise you may induce additional rock.

In addition to getting the correct geometry I would evaluate the 3d printing tech that you would be using. As an engineer I deal with rapid prototyped parts all the time and have seen a number of different '3d printing' methods. Not all of them would be something that I want down in my foot well. Some 3d printing methods are satisfactory for volumetric and aesthetic representations but lack much strength. Others can produce relatively strong parts, but require the correct materials, processes, and printing environment. From my collection of parts through the years some prints have deteriorated due to humidity, temperature, exposure to sunlight etc. Some split or delaminate with time and pressure. Make sure you discuss what you are looking to do with this item with someone who knows the properties of the parts coming off your companies printer. You may find that it is not suitable for your purposes.

Personally i would go with an aluminum spacer like that offered by Breedt These can be trusted to not deteriorate with time or conditions and I know that a lateral load isn't going to a print apart. Additionally they offer a number of vertical and lateral adjustments and different thickness sub plates so you can tailor your pedal position to your liking. For the $80 its worth having a quality component and may well be worth your time.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you are going to make one, I wouldn't suggest buying a unit, duplicating it and returning it. For one this isn't helping the people who took the time to bring a product to market.
+1.

Reactions: Dean the Machine

·
Registered
313 Posts
Agree with what STateOfChaos said. Just buy a billet aluminum one, such as the one offered by GarageLine: Garage Line 2013+ Ford Focus ST Accelerator Pedal Mount - Welcome to GarageLine - Sport Compact Performance Parts

The price is nto significantly more than what I've seen of the 3D-printed ones but it's made of billet aluminum and allows the gas pedal to be adjusted horizontally in case you prefer a different amount of space between gas and brake.

I bought this one during their Cyber Monday sale and will be installing it this weekend (hopefully).

·
Registered
917 Posts
I just placed an order for the GarageLine accelerator pedal spacer. $65 with free shipping was a good enough deal for me. Probably should have done this mod a long time ago, but better late then never!

Rectangle

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the garage line pedal spacer installed on my 13FocusST. It definitely helps with heel and toe. Even if you don't heel and toe, I found myself braking smoother because the travel difference between gas and brake pedal is not so different.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi guys, I'm new here and I apologize if this is covered elsewhere.

I'd really like to start heel & toe shifting and I'd need a spacer to do so. However, I'm nervous about foot positioning for daily use (80+ miles). I'm 6'2 and when I hold my foot up at the brake pedal height for a few seconds (to imagine higher gas pedal spacing) I can start to feel the burn in my shin.

Has anyone found the positioning to be uncomfortable with the GarageLine spacer?

Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi guys, I'm new here and I apologize if this is covered elsewhere.

I'd really like to start heel & toe shifting and I'd need a spacer to do so. However, I'm nervous about foot positioning for daily use (80+ miles). I'm 6'2 and when I hold my foot up at the brake pedal height for a few seconds (to imagine higher gas pedal spacing) I can start to feel the burn in my shin.

Has anyone found the positioning to be uncomfortable with the GarageLine spacer?

Thanks!
Try every seat adjustment you can find. The one issue with ST's is that the sweet spot seating position is annoying to find

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts