Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently brought my car back to stock short of removing the green filter and the 3inch roush exhaust. I was running stage 2 Cobb OTS tune for a good 6 months and would constantly see 24.7 MPG as my commute is pretty much all highway. I figured that removing the tune and intercooler, I should get back into the 26-28 range but I checked this morning and I'm still at 24.7 MPG. This just doesn't seem right to me. I didn't reinstall the shutters and I'm sure that will get me 2-3 MPG but the fact that I'm getting the same exact MPG just doesn't seem right.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
371 Posts
when you fill up calculate it yourself, I notice my car was significantly off

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
My car reads low. It'll say 22.8 and I'll actually get 24.1

·
Registered
660 Posts
I recently brought my car back to stock short of removing the green filter and the 3inch roush exhaust. I was running stage 2 Cobb OTS tune for a good 6 months and would constantly see 24.7 MPG as my commute is pretty much all highway. I figured that removing the tune and intercooler, I should get back into the 26-28 range but I checked this morning and I'm still at 24.7 MPG. This just doesn't seem right to me. I didn't reinstall the shutters and I'm sure that will get me 2-3 MPG but the fact that I'm getting the same exact MPG just doesn't seem right.

Thoughts?
@brian60 is correct. Also, unplug your battery for 15-30 minutes to reset your cpu.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Most cars I have ever modded, when you do subtle upgrades, intake, exhaust, basic tune, I have always got better gas mileage than I did prior to the mods. On my 14 WRX I was about 3-4MPG more than when it was stock.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hey i see everyone gas milage are in the 20 ish. Nine only says 16 at the most. Average is 14.5. my car is. 2013 with 12k miles. Idk if its tune. Bought the car used

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hey i see everyone gas milage are in the 20 ish. Nine only says 16 at the most. Average is 14.5. my car is. 2013 with 12k miles. Idk if its tune. Bought the car used

Say you live in Boston, my guess that is alot of stop and go traffic and not much open road driving

Reactions: GuanacoST

·
Registered
72 Posts
Even so... That seems really low! I'll go about 40 mins of stop/go each day and average around 24mpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
I know right. But idk if its tuned or not. Will tunning do that with gas mileage?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
I know right. But idk if its tuned or not. Will tunning do that with gas mileage?

Tuning will affect gas mileage, but not always directly.

A tune could cause boost to come on a little sooner, or maybe the throttle is way more aggressive so less pedal = more throttle, etc. THAT would cause a drop in MPG because if you drive the same way, your car is working more and using more fuel.

A tune could also make more power, like in my case, but make the throttle smoother. Now, this shouldn't decrease MPG at all...because it's only making that power when I get into the power. HOWEVER, it's fun as SH** so guess what I do more often than I used to? I get into the power and play. MPG suffered because of my tune because I'm more of a kid than before lol.

·
Registered
252 Posts

Wow thats really low. I used to drive exclusively in heavy stop and go traffic in the city. My commute was only 5 miles each way which is really bad on gas too, and I used to let it warm up a few minutes before leaving so i could get on it some on the commute home. Even after all that which i would assume is worst case scenario for MPG i would still average 21-14 mpg. Now that I'm trying a lot more highway and my commute is longer i average 29.5-31 MPG (hand calculated but my computer is always within 1-1.5 mpg of actual)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tested again and it's getting worse. By my calculator, calculations I got 22 last fill up and that again was majority highway.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I never do the math but get 22.6 by the computer calculation. And I drive it like I stole it most of the time. :big smile:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Say you live in Boston, my guess that is alot of stop and go traffic and not much open road driving
I'm not so sure about this. 95% of my driving is stop-and-go city. The other 5% is spirited weekend joy rides. I'm averaging between 22.5-23.5.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts