Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought the car brand new. It was getting low gas mileage from the start and I just attributed to breaking in a new car. However, I'm now pushing 2000 miles and I'm lucky to get 17-18mpg. If I drive nothing but hwy with cruise set at 70/75 then I'll average around 25mpg; however, throw in city driving and it bottoms out. If I drive nothing but city(I literally live a block away from work), then I get around 16mpg sometimes less. IF I pay SUPER CLOSE attention and make sure i'm in 4th gear by 25mph and 6th by 35 and then do my best to not cause any kind of acceleration..then and ONLY then will I break into the 18mpg range.

I went into the purchase thinking as long as I wasn't racing from light to light that I would have a pretty nice/efficient car that had a real fun side. Unfortunately, while it does have a fun side to it, the tedious micro managing of the gas pedal to try and get somewhere near the rated factory mpg has really taken all the fun out of it.

Is this normal or is this something I need to have a dealer look at...how would I even approach something like that? "No, car is running great, but the gas mileage really sucks"

Looking for suggestions, I'm just really frustrated.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Our cars take quite a bit of time to warm up, so if you're not driving that far you're never getting warm enough to get good mileage. I generally get 32 miles to the gallon commuting, and 24 in the city.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've only had mine a week and have less than 500 miles on it thus far, but am averaging 23.5 mpg so far. I too am slightly disappointed with the fuel economy, but expect that to increase once it is broken-in. My commute is 25 miles one way with about 85 percent highway.

·
Registered
181 Posts
City driving with a stop sign every block or long periods of idling will make any car besides a hybrid get terrible mileage. Short drives also don't let the fluids and components warm up to efficient temperatures. I'm in the suburbs of Chicago, and typically get around 30mpg on highway drives around 70-75 mph with the AC off, and 25 mpg with mixed driving averaging 25-40 mph. I can see a congested urban setting causing this car to get 20mpg or less.

Otherwise, make sure your tire pressures are in the 36 psi range, your brakes aren't dragging, your alignment isn't off, and go on a longer extended drive (100+ miles) to better evaluate your gas mileage.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I think your average mpg is definitely low. I'm averaging 28mpg with a 18-20 mile round trip commute to work that's 25% city (35-40mph) 75% highway (60-65mph). I shift around 2500-2900 rpm and rarely get into boost getting up to speed. I will say that after doing a full intake and tune both my ST's got better mpg! Like mentioned above check tire pressure etc... Maybe try driving easy for a while and see if any improvement. Also I run full synthetic oil which may help the engine run a tiny bit more efficient?

·
Registered
180 Posts
What was your previous car and what MPG did it get for you?

Not sure I am seeing a problem here. Ultra short drives result in low teens MPG on any car because the engine never exits enrichment (the electronic equivalent of choke). I usually see 28 and change on a 270 mile drive I regularly make from Dallas to the hill country. Speeds are mostly 70-ish on two lane blacktop highways. That has been consistent during the 30k miles I have put on the car.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What was your previous car and what MPG did it get for you?

Not sure I am seeing a problem here. Ultra short drives result in low teens MPG on any car because the engine never exits enrichment (the electronic equivalent of choke). I usually see 28 and change on a 270 mile drive I regularly make from Dallas to the hill country. Speeds are mostly 70-ish on two lane blacktop highways. That has been consistent during the 30k miles I have put on the car.
Funny, I live in the hill country...Marble Falls

My last car was a 2006 Corolla S and got in the 30s on mpg, even with 150k miles on it...those things refuse to die. I could go 2-3 weeks before having to fill up again.

In terms of the ST, unless I drive all highway I haven't seen the ST do over 200 miles on a single tank. It's typically around 140 to 170ish on a full tank depending on how much hwy driving I've done.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Funny, I live in the hill country...Marble Falls

My last car was a 2006 Corolla S and got in the 30s on mpg, even with 150k miles on it...those things refuse to die. I could go 2-3 weeks before having to fill up again.

In terms of the ST, unless I drive all highway I haven't seen the ST do over 200 miles on a single tank. It's typically around 140 to 170ish on a full tank depending on how much hwy driving I've done.
I have to say, that doesn't seem right...

·
Registered
237 Posts
I do little city driving but approaching 6k miles I'm up over 35mpg highway at 70 mph. Started going up a little recently.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mine was pretty low when I first bought my car. I now average 27mpg with mixed driving.

·
Registered
216 Posts
My '17 has 3,3XX miles. Bought it with 3XX miles on it. I've averaged 25.3 since I bought the car. Driving is highway and city. Plenty of "spirited" driving. Within the last tank or two I've noticed my highway MPG is getting better. Something seems fishy with yours.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I have 25,000 miles on my ST.
I get about 32 mpg. Mostly freeway at 50/55 mph.
Tires also matter. Green tires do get about 2mpg more than regular tires.. just from reduced rolling resistance.

And yes cold driving eats up fuel. The fuel thing is bad for several miles from a cold start.
Even if the engine is warm, restarting after sitting seems to use up fuel.

And in all the MK3, the style of driving and stopping or not matter s LOT.
Steady driving. great mpg. Lots of stop start. terrible mpg.
Lot of BOOST... LOL don't even ask!

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
If I try, I can get 30.5 in mixed driving. I've gotten as low as 27 on a tank. But I'm usually at 30 or so.
This is pretty close to how I drive. I can get between 30-31 if I try, and as low as 26. I average around 28. Everyone has different driving conditions and pedal control.

I did get about 24mpg out of one of my very first tanks of gas with a lot of stop and go, along with highway speeds, trying to get a good break in.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Some how I’ve managed to keep from resetting the “Trip 2” odometer and my lifetime economy is right around 26.7 after almost 19k.

Something does seem fishy if you are struggling to get above 20mpg consistently.

I took a road trip about 2000 miles earlier this summer and averaged almost 30mpg on Canadian 91...

Sent from a galaxy far, far away...

·
Registered
395 Posts
sounds like you are bogging the engine pretty hard, read up on LSPI and how much damage it can cause.

You are shifting way too early if you are in 6th at 35. I won't even shift into 6th until 45+
I shift at 2-2.5k rpm every gear and am able to average 26-27 on my commute which is up to 50mph but hitting almost every red light.
straight highway 29-33 mpg depending on speed (29 at 80-85mph and 33 at 55-60)

Reactions: STSnail
1 - 20 of 56 Posts