Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else noticing their gas gauge bouncing all over the place ? One moment it shows a 1/4 tank then you shut it off, come back later and lo and behold it's at half a tank ? I'm finding I am completely running out of gas once it shows 32 miles left. Anyone else ? And yes, I have reset the ECM by disconnecting the battery.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I see mine go up after shutting the car off as well, but it usually fixed itself within a couple minutes

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've experienced this, but it seems to self-correct in short order.

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
Anyone else noticing their gas gauge bouncing all over the place ? One moment it shows a 1/4 tank then you shut it off, come back later and lo and behold it's at half a tank ? I'm finding I am completely running out of gas once it shows 32 miles left. Anyone else ? And yes, I have reset the ECM by disconnecting the battery.
There is actually an algorithm that controls the fuel gauge many lines of code long. It is primarily based on the last 500 miles of driving behavior vs tank level. What you're experiencing is very common for those of us who drive very spiritedly and daily in the same 500 mile stretch. I actually ran out of fuel on a 1/4 mile pass due in large part to this. I suggest monitoring Fuel level input on your accessport if you are ever in doubt, it is raw data from the float (will be a little.....floaty) listed as a percentage. Because of this doing a battery disconnect actually made your problem worse.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts