Ford Focus ST Forum banner

241 - 260 of 637 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
1,200 Posts
Rob,

Thank you for your interest yes we will definitely add you to the list. The unit is a drop in replacement and should come with all of the necessary gaskets and nuts and bolts, but will require a tune in order to account for the increased air flow from the larger more efficient turbo.

Regards,

Chopper

·
Administrator
11,833 Posts
All I'm looking for is 330ish whp.

I emailed Unleashed already and received a reply a couple seconds later. Looks like it's a go. That guy has amazing customer service.
Torrie has maintained fast responses in tuning for the 9 years i've heard of him. No BS, mans a machine. Great tuner, great CS, SCT is the downfall here. He tunes all sorts though, so a universal tuning platform makes more sense.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Torrie has maintained fast responses in tuning for the 9 years i've heard of him. No BS, mans a machine. Great tuner, great CS, SCT is the downfall here. He tunes all sorts though, so a universal tuning platform makes more sense.
I know, the SCT tuner is not on par with cobb. Had read so many great reviews of his work. I figured it was worth the compromise. Only thing I wish it had was on the fly map switching. Even more right now since gas is hard to come by.

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
1,200 Posts
Just had a thought... our factory turbo is the K03, which happens to be the same factory turbo on the 3.5 EB (except they get 2 units)... Since Garrett already has a powermax unit for the 3.5 EB (Garrett POWERMAX | atpturbo.com) that sells for ~860, what are the odds the new ST unit is just a reconfigured 3.5 replacement unit? They say the 3.5 unit is good for 300 hp (at the crank), and I'm going to assume that means PER unit since the factory 3.5 EB engines put out more than that. We have folks knocking on the door of 300 *wheel*hp on the stock K03, and if this one flows as much as the Garrett 3.5 powermax unit (22% more than stock), I'd assume we could see an approximate increase in top-end power. 300+ even 20% would be around 360 at the wheels, which is similar to 2860 numbers for about 1/2 the cost. Sure, not everybody is pushing 300 at the wheels with the k03, but a lot of us are in the 260-290 range, so that could equate to 315-350 whp after the upgrade.... sounds about perfect to me. Stock clutch can still hold it for a DD and it finally fills in the top-end of the rpm range with something other than a cliff to fall from.

·
Registered
2016 Focus ST2
751 Posts
Just had a thought... our factory turbo is the K03, which happens to be the same factory turbo on the 3.5 EB (except they get 2 units)... Since Garrett already has a powermax unit for the 3.5 EB (Garrett POWERMAX | atpturbo.com) that sells for ~860, what are the odds the new ST unit is just a reconfigured 3.5 replacement unit? They say the 3.5 unit is good for 300 hp (at the crank), and I'm going to assume that means PER unit since the factory 3.5 EB engines put out more than that. We have folks knocking on the door of 300 *wheel*hp on the stock K03, and if this one flows as much as the Garrett 3.5 powermax unit (22% more than stock), I'd assume we could see an approximate increase in top-end power. 300+ even 20% would be around 360 at the wheels, which is similar to 2860 numbers for about 1/2 the cost. Sure, not everybody is pushing 300 at the wheels with the k03, but a lot of us are in the 260-290 range, so that could equate to 315-350 whp after the upgrade.... sounds about perfect to me. Stock clutch can still hold it for a DD and it finally fills in the top-end of the rpm range with something other than a cliff to fall from.
Interesting DD
this will be confirmed once people start receiving the first units.

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
we will have our answer hopefully in only 2 days, the compressor map will tell us what we really want and allow us to compare to other units that are already available. At that point the power we can expect will be pretty easy to determine.

Other powermax's are built around GTX cores, so my money is on this being either a 2860, or less likely; a 2867.

We will see, but for the money i think its gonna crush a lot of the other offerings out there right now.

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
the other thing is that the 3.5EB is 350crank, so if each powermax makes 300 crank that going from 175hp per turbo to 300 hp per turbo, a 41% increase, conflicting with their marketing material....

·
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
3,404 Posts
the other thing is that the 3.5EB is 350crank, so if each powermax makes 300 crank that going from 175hp per turbo to 300 hp per turbo, a 41% increase, conflicting with their marketing material....
I think youre mistaking rated power versus capable power. The gen 1 is 375 crank, and can make around 475 crank with intercooler, downpipes, and aggressive tuning. The 3.5 powermaxes are Capable of 600 horsepower.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I am definetly interrested in this Garrett turbo for our Focus ST. I thank you all for updating this threat. Sorry I can not be on the list for buyers. First got to check for vendors on this side of the lake and put a little money aside for this upgrade

Reactions: Skykri and TurboGT

·
Registered
69 Posts
Wow I love the price point on this.

@TurboGT If I recall, we're somewhat local to each other. If you want / need a hand throwing this thing on when it arrives let me know! Mostly I'm curious on how difficult this swap would be.
Mine is my daily and I could be without for a day or 2 on the weekend but anything more would be bad for business.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I remember reading a thread where someone here added 2 or 4 port injection (can't remember which) and went e85 with the factory turbo and managed to eek out a little bit more power. I wonder if that will be possible with this turbo and what that would look like. The possibilities, lol.

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
I think youre mistaking rated power versus capable power. The gen 1 is 375 crank, and can make around 475 crank with intercooler, downpipes, and aggressive tuning. The 3.5 powermaxes are Capable of 600 horsepower.
Ah that’s right, they never said if the numbers are with the factory intercooler/downpipe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Has anyone compiled a list of parts that will be needed for installation yet (gaskets and hardware and such). If they could share that would be greatly appreciated.

241 - 260 of 637 Posts