Ford Focus ST Forum banner
621 - 640 of 690 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
3,970 Posts
Panda motorworks sent me the TS focus RS 12psi WGA.. any downsides? Should I preload this at all?
The Only info i could find online (if none was provided with the WGA) is, zero slack plus 2mm preload. So thats what ill be installing mine at

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
3,970 Posts
Just didn’t know if the 12psi would work?
I don't see why not. Your base boost threshold is still lower than this turbo operates at, so it shouldnt be an issue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Got mine modded, ready to cut down and install. Thanks for the hookup @mattdamon33
Looking good!

alright, don’t really know if I should jump down this rabbit hole…do we need two step colder plugs? Are you going to change your gaps? My one step ngk iridiums have been running about 25k. Going to swap them out before the tune with NGK Ruthenium’s

·
Super Moderator
3,970 Posts
Looking good!

alright, don’t really know if I should jump down this rabbit hole…do we need two step colder plugs? Are you going to change your gaps? My one step ngk iridiums have been running about 25k. Going to swap them out before the tune with NGK Ruthenium’s
I just put new 6510s in at .026. Small maintenance price to pay when installing a new turbo

·
Registered
2018 ST1 Magnetic Gray
199 Posts

·
Registered
2018 ST1 Magnetic Gray
199 Posts
By the way, that's not swimming, it is deep diving!

Reactions: -whiteST3-

·
Registered
2018 ST1 Magnetic Gray
199 Posts

Everything is set to go. I have to wait after the 22nd for the monstertuned dyno session.

·
Super Moderator
3,970 Posts
@STallion18 you may be the first to get yours on the dyno. I wont run mine until its tuned with the TS WGA. Haven't heard from Alan since Thursday though so I'm not even sure if were finished tuning the stock WGA yet.

·
Registered
2018 ST1 Magnetic Gray
199 Posts
@STallion18 you may be the first to get yours on the dyno. I wont run mine until its tuned with the TS WGA. Haven't heard from Alan since Thursday though so I'm not even sure if were finished tuning the stock WGA yet.
I compared the stock WGA with the 7 psi TS WGA, both open the wastegate at the same psi. Start at 7 psi and full travel topped at 14 psi. Noted, if you add too much preload, it will limit the wastegate opening.

Reactions: TurboGT

·
Super Moderator
3,970 Posts
I compared the stock WGA with the 7 psi TS WGA, both open the wastegate at the same psi. Start at 7 psi and full travel topped at 14 psi. Noted, if you add too much preload, it will limit the wastegate opening.
I'm Merely concerned with the irritating boost dip at this point. Both mine and Tonycar's tuners had to implement factory boost control (which does a momentary throttle cut) to mitigate this boost dip issue. I have added preload to my Garrett gate and he does not have any additional preload.

Hopefully The TS gate behaves differently and no longer causes this problem.

·
Registered
2018 ST1 Magnetic Gray
199 Posts
I'm Merely concerned with the irritating boost dip at this point. Both mine and Tonycar's tuners had to implement factory boost control (which does a momentary throttle cut) to mitigate this boost dip issue. I have added preload to my Garrett gate and he does not have any additional preload.

Hopefully The TS gate behaves differently and no longer causes this problem.
Could it be that is too sensitive at 7 psi and may need a little bit more stronger spring? The 7 maybe a safeguard for the turbo to not over spin at redline.

·
Super Moderator
3,970 Posts
Could it be that is too sensitive at 7 psi and may need a little bit more stronger spring? The 7 maybe a safeguard for the turbo to not over spin at redline.
It certainly could be, but why is it an issue with just this turbo? And it only happens when the EBCS is activated. When it's running off Gate pressure, this bump isnt there.

We're going to find out soon enough, though.

·
Super Moderator
3,970 Posts
GUYS, THIS IS IMPORTANT NEWS! For anyone purchasing this turbo

So as im beginning the 2nd round of tuning on this turbo with the different WGA, I noticed that (vdyno confirmed) the turbo makes more power up top with a downward-tapered boost line. I shared this info with Alan who is following suit. Without being long winded, 22psi sloping down to 15psi by 6500 with a more aggressive timing curve makes more power than 24psi sloping down to 20. PLEASE share this info with your tuner!!

@davesST @Tonycar323 @STallion18 @xafnyx

·
Premium Member
2013 ST2, AGP BWS turbo, long block
743 Posts
GUYS, THIS IS IMPORTANT NEWS! For anyone purchasing this turbo

So as im beginning the 2nd round of tuning on this turbo with the different WGA, I noticed that (vdyno confirmed) the turbo makes more power up top with a downward-tapered boost line. I shared this info with Alan who is following suit. Without being long winded, 22psi sloping down to 15psi by 6500 with a more aggressive timing curve makes more power than 24psi sloping down to 20. PLEASE share this info with your tuner!!

@davesST @Tonycar323 @STallion18 @xafnyx
been experimenting with this similarly on BWS.
I got a turbosmart IWG 12 psi spring (almost blew motor with first tune - didnt reduce WGDC base enough)

But I've found holding 20 psi to redline has its disadvantages.
I've heard Alan say this several times but I had to learn it myself because I'm stubborn.

·
Super Moderator
3,970 Posts
been experimenting with this similarly on BWS.
I got a turbosmart IWG 12 psi spring (almost blew motor with first tune - didnt reduce WGDC base enough)

But I've found holding 20 psi to redline has its disadvantages.
I've heard Alan say this several times but I had to learn it myself because I'm stubborn.
Proof is in the pudding. Its probably making so much heat backed up in the cylinders and has so much drive pressure between the piston and turbine that's whats causing the corrections above 4500 at 20-23psi. So you cant run a lot of timing safely. The power freaking plummets though with this high of boost at the high rpms. I mean, worse than stock. This thing actually carries power to or past 6k now and we arent done. I have a new revision sitting in my inbox currently with same boost (22 tapering down to 15) but with more ignition timing. Looking forward to running it this evening.

621 - 640 of 690 Posts