Ford Focus ST Forum banner

581 - 600 of 686 Posts

·
Registered
2018 ST1 Magnetic Gray
191 Posts
Well Panda sent me the focus ST IWG. Definitely will not fit.
Okay, back to square one. The rethread seems to be the more latent option. I know, it will work the way it came from Garrett. But, after I installed I don't want to mess with it anymore.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,664 Posts
Look at the TS-0622-8102
It's set with a 10 PSI spring but is for the 2.3 IWG75 Mustang ecoboost. That will resolve your dip. Don't ask me why I know this.

Stay Safe kids.

J

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,664 Posts
Reactions: Smokin' Joe

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
3,507 Posts
Would this be associated with the EBCS in anyway? I'm a bit lost if this is purely mechanical, or if the 'command' for boost could be modified to compensate that deliberate 'dip' in boost pressure due to a somewhat premature venting of pressure.
The dip is mechanicalthe EBCS duty cycle is being tailored positive during this dip to try and compensate for it both by my tuner and tonycar's tuner. I'm sure with enough revisions they could get it pretty well but the dip happens so fast after the initial spool, it's Hard to react in time.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
3,507 Posts
Thank you @SSgtjrobertson , when i take mine off ill be sure to measure the garrett unit and compare to the mustang IWG.

·
Registered
2018 ST1 Magnetic Gray
191 Posts
Reactions: Coolpool

·
Super Moderator
3,507 Posts
Good find. I'll measure the spring rate of the Garrett to see if it match the mustang one.
Crack pressure on the garrett is 7psi with stock preload. Not sure what it is removed from the turbo.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Look at the TS-0622-8102
It's set with a 10 PSI spring but is for the 2.3 IWG75 Mustang ecoboost. That will resolve your dip. Don't ask me why I know this.

Stay Safe kids.

J
So that coupled with @TurboGT 's reply makes perfect sense that to get this 'buttery smooth' it will require BOTH. The tuner can handle the EBCS (as I've read the stock unit is sufficient & robust enough to deal with command changes). The spring on the stock unit, or on the Garrett unit, seems to be pretty understated for most practical uses of this turbo (i.e. tuner goes to increase boost AND timing) so that leaves us all in awe of @SSgtjrobertson 's ability of being 'in-the-know', being sharp (in general), and having plenty of technician detailed information. Regardless of where the info or lessons learned came from, I think I see a light at the end of this particular tunnel 🥳🤩

·
Registered
2018 ST1 Magnetic Gray
191 Posts
Great! UPS lost my WGA. Now I have to do a claim.🧾

·
Super Moderator
3,507 Posts
That should work…5.750 in = 146.05mm
The installed garrett WGA will be pulled out of the canister some with whatever preload they have already built into it. So remove the E clip and take the clevis off the wastegate arm and get another measurement for a direct comparison.

·
Premium Member
2013 ST2, AGP BWS turbo, long block
665 Posts
The installed garrett WGA will be pulled out of the canister some with whatever preload they have already built into it. So remove the E clip and take the clevis off the wastegate arm and get another measurement for a direct comparison.
Hey @TurboGT can you datalog airflow mass the next time you're out cruising with this thing?

Reactions: junits15

·
Super Moderator
3,507 Posts
Hey @TurboGT can you datalog airflow mass the next time you're out cruising with this thing?
I did a few revisions ago, got over 36 lb/min. Alan shot it down though and said that calculation is incorrect once you change turbos. If we were mass air control instead of speed density, that would be A different story.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
I did a few revisions ago, got over 36 lb/min. Alan shot it down though and said that calculation is incorrect once you change turbos. If we were mass air control instead of speed density, that would be A different story.
Just to make a comparison, the AGP BWS returned a value of 32 lb/min.
I'm sure both the 36 lb/min and 32 lb/min are a bit off, but we can at least say that the powermax flows more.

·
Super Moderator
3,507 Posts
Just to make a comparison, the AGP BWS returned a value of 32 lb/min.
I'm sure both the 36 lb/min and 32 lb/min are a bit off, but we can at least say that the powermax flows more.
Thats a fair assessment. Bws has a 46mm wheel, powermax has 52mm wheel.

Plus it makes cool intake sounds even through the stock airbox.

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Thats a fair assessment. Bws has a 46mm wheel, powermax has 52mm wheel.

Plus it makes cool intake sounds even through the stock airbox.
Danggg i wish I had gone this route.
Alas. I needed a turbo to get back on the road and BWS was there for me.

581 - 600 of 686 Posts