Ford Focus ST Forum banner

561 - 580 of 686 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
3,507 Posts
Is anyone running the TS WGA?
I will be this week. Getting the ST one turned and threaded hopefully tomorrow to accept the Garrett Clevis.

One of us needs to get our hands on a focus RS WGA to see if it's the correct application, because this turbo does NOT use an ST WGA

·
Registered
14 Posts
I believe it is the RS. Panda motorworks only sells that model for focus.

Would appreciate a how-to for the WGA install.

It looks like my turbo and WGA are arriving tomorrow. Im thinking I’ll have to install the WGA because the tracking number has two packages.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
3,507 Posts
I believe it is the RS. Panda motorworks only sells that model for focus.

Would appreciate a how-to for the WGA install.

It looks like my turbo and WGA are arriving tomorrow. Im thinking I’ll have to install the WGA because the tracking number has two packages.
Let me know what part number it is and if they have any instructions on install. The ONLY info i could find was slacked plus 2mm preload as a general installation for the IWG75 in general. This seems to equate to between 1.5 and 3 turns of preload.

·
Registered
2018 ST1 Magnetic Gray
191 Posts
I will be this week. Getting the ST one turned and threaded hopefully tomorrow to accept the Garrett Clevis.

One of us needs to get our hands on a focus RS WGA to see if it's the correct application, because this turbo does NOT use an ST WGA
My ST WGA will arrive tomorrow. It better fit. The RS BOV will arrive tomorrow too.

·
Registered
2018 ST1 Magnetic Gray
191 Posts
This is the picture of the RS WGA.

·
Super Moderator
3,507 Posts
@STallion18, do you want me to let you down easy?

This is a side by side, you can see how vastly different the WGA rods are.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 ST1 Magnetic Gray
191 Posts
@STallion18, do you want me to let you down easy?

This is a side by side, you can see how vastly different the WGA rods are.
Can the rod be cut off shorter and rethread, or the diameter is different? Rethread the rod and coupling to match?

·
Registered
2018 ST1 Magnetic Gray
191 Posts
Let's see how Panda address this issue.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,664 Posts
Let's see how Panda address this issue.
They probably did what all us old timers did. They took the physical measurements of the actuator and ordered the parts to build one.

Most aftermarket WGA are more or less the same thing. They just have different options to choose from. Single or Dual ports, actuator rod length and spring pressures, clevis length and thread pitch (normally either M6 or 1/4 UNF).

We used to hand cut brackets and bend the actuator rod into funky shapes to get then to work. Fortunately now a days you have manufacturers that off several different options and parts to purchase.

The PM does look too exotic or special in form factor. I'd probably be more likely to reach out to Turbo Smart for part and design the Panda.

J

·
Super Moderator
3,507 Posts
Can the rod be cut off shorter and rethread, or the diameter is different? Rethread the rod and coupling to match?
Thats exactly what my coworker is doing for me. The rod has to be reduced .5mm in diameter in order for threads to be cut, he's going to turn it down on his lathe and run a die over it. There are plenty Of ghetto ways it can be done at home but I'd rather do this correctly.

Hopefully Panda already sorted this out and you'll recieve the correct WGA.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
For those of us who are not all that knowledgeable regarding turbochargers, but are still interested in this unit. Are you guys changing the WGAs’ and etc. on these out of necessity, or is this just to maximize its potential? I most likely wouldn’t be going that route myself, I’d be getting this for a little kick in the pants over the OEM. And I like the plug & play direct fit aspect.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #575 ·
For those of us who are not all that knowledgeable regarding turbochargers, but are still interested in this unit. Are you guys changing the WGAs’ and etc. on these out of necessity, or is this just to maximize its potential? I most likely wouldn’t be going that route myself, I’d be getting this for a little kick in the pants over the OEM. And I like the plug & play direct fit aspect.
I wonder this also, all that talk of efficacy zone, reliability, pumping pressures ect…Here we are trying to push this turbo into hairdryer zone just like the stocker.

·
Super Moderator
3,507 Posts
@davesST @EcoBlueBomb

I added preload out of the assumption that the as-equipped WGA would suck. After looking over @Tonycar323 log, which has NO preload, I've found that to be unecessary. Both instances with the Garrett WGA hold boost well into redline.

The only issue with the garrett WGA is once it cracks open from 20+psi it actually opens too far causing the boost drop. So you floor it at 3k, boost spikes to, say. 23psi, drops to 19, then recovers to 23. The tuners in my case and Tony's case have done some compensation For this but its a mechanical characteristic thats going to be there somewhat.

My hope is that the Turbosmart unit will remedy this boost dip. Thats basically the only benefit of going this route. It's not necessary Though and will not make any additional peak power out of this turbo.

·
Registered
2014 Focus ST3
21 Posts
My hope is that the Turbosmart unit will remedy this boost dip. Thats basically the only benefit of going this route. It's not necessary Though and will not make any additional peak power out of this turbo.
While the boost dip wouldn't affect peak power, it sure as heck would impact area under the curve. I'm not super knowledgeable about turbo dynamics, but it seems to me the spike to 23 with an immediate drop to 19 would indicate that it is related to the wastegate actuator not being "fast" enough to control the boost level and potentially overcorrecting.

Back in the old days, it's one of the reasons that manual boost controllers were so useful. Rather than having the WGA bleed off boost slowly until it got to the set point, the MBC would hold boost until the chosen dump point and then open up fully to allow you to get to peak boost much faster. I know modern WGAs are much better in this regard typically, but I do wonder if the "stock" PowerMax WGA just doesn't have the chops to keep up with a steeper boost map?

·
Super Moderator
3,507 Posts
@riceboyler the dip can definitely be felt and it's become annoying to me. So i agree, if the boost spiked and held, the car would be faster just by carrying power more evenly.

·
Registered
2016 Focus ST2
789 Posts
I have a forge wastegate actuator, I wonder how that will work on these Turbos, I took off my stock turbo so if anyone wants to experiment with it let me know.

·
Registered
461 Posts
the dip can definitely be felt and it's become annoying to me. So i agree, if the boost spiked and held, the car would be faster just by carrying power more evenly.
Would this be associated with the EBCS in anyway? I'm a bit lost if this is purely mechanical, or if the 'command' for boost could be modified to compensate that deliberate 'dip' in boost pressure due to a somewhat premature venting of pressure.

561 - 580 of 686 Posts