Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today, Oct 3rd, there was an article in the Wall Street Journal titled "Ford to Focus on High Growth Areas, Cost Cutting". In an interview with Ford's new CEO, Jim Hackett, he talks about more money to be spent in their truck and SUV lines which make a lot of money for Ford. But there was one paragraph that was interesting at the end of the interview:

"Ford will add new SUVs across global markets, including more rugged, off-road entries in the U.S.–where Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV’s Jeep brand now dominates that category–as well as larger SUVs in China and other developing markets. Ford won’t walk away from small cars in the U.S., as FCA has done, but it will pursue more-profitable niche segments, such as sportier versions of the Focus, executives said."

I wonder what they have in mind for more sportier versions of the Focus line? Maybe they will put real money into the performance line of the Focus. What would we like to see developed beyond the current ST and RS lines? Different power trains (electric or hybrid), higher spec interiors, something else?

·
Administrator
11,895 Posts
Today, Oct 3rd, there was an article in the Wall Street Journal titled "Ford to Focus on High Growth Areas, Cost Cutting". In an interview with Ford's new CEO, Jim Hackett, he talks about more money to be spent in their truck and SUV lines which make a lot of money for Ford. But there was one paragraph that was interesting at the end of the interview:

"Ford will add new SUVs across global markets, including more rugged, off-road entries in the U.S.–where Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV’s Jeep brand now dominates that category–as well as larger SUVs in China and other developing markets. Ford won’t walk away from small cars in the U.S., as FCA has done, but it will pursue more-profitable niche segments, such as sportier versions of the Focus, executives said."

I wonder what they have in mind for more sportier versions of the Focus line? Maybe they will put real money into the performance line of the Focus. What would we like to see developed beyond the current ST and RS lines? Different power trains (electric or hybrid), higher spec interiors, something else?
I doubt it. If they cut our displacement the platform loses its total appeal. So yeah, I don't foresee it lasting much longer as far as new car market is concerned. Aftermarket for the 2.0 will still continue to flourish, which is all I care about at this point.

I will ride this platform until it dies.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I would love it if they continued the ST/RS line of cars, just improve them over the course. Body style changes, power/TQ tweaks. Almost what Subaru has done with the wrx over the last 20 years. Keep the ST line going and perfect it.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
I would love it if they continued the ST/RS line of cars, just improve them over the course. Body style changes, power/TQ tweaks. Almost what Subaru has done with the wrx over the last 20 years. Keep the ST line going and perfect it.
This is what they should do.

Hopefully they are seeing enough demand. They must have if they thought the RS was a good idea. It would be crazy if they suddenly flipped a 180. This community is living proof Ford has built an amazing platform. They better not decide its a waste of their time, would seem like a poor decision from my perspective anyways.

·
Registered
825 Posts
To me the #1 add on that Ford needs are limited slip differentials.
The 2.3 slightly detuned (for better mpg) with the twin scroll, and some computer torque management in 1st an 2nd. FWD ST option.
They are offering the RS with a limited slip in 2018.
And for the ST, have the same sort of dual wheel set as an option on the ST
(The RS on my dealers lot have a Winter wheel set as manufacture option)
Plus the RS and ST from the EU. not China.

Three years in, I am happy with my ST3. And would probably buy another in 2020 if Ford soes not screw it up

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
With them dedicating billions of dollars to narrow their focus on trucks and SUVs, I wouldn't hold out much hope for the Focus ST.

If it does stick around, I will most definitely not be buying another.

·
Registered
825 Posts
The Ford I really want is a Fusion with the 2.3 turbo, great sport suspension, and a stick shift.
Kind of a Contour SVT 2.0 version.

I loved my Contour SVT. I like my ST.. but I want a new version of the SVT sedan.
(The Fusion Sport they are offering is not even close. and I would never bother with that one.)

·
Registered
2015 ST3, no sunroof, Koenig Oversteers
254 Posts
I think that Ford will continue to offer multiple trim levels of the Focus in the U.S., even if the total number of trim levels is reduced by eliminating the entry-level trim. I wonder if they will bring the ST Line trim level to the U.S. This car would have the usual Focus drivetrain (whatever that will be in the next generation car) but have a little sportier suspension tuning and some bits for eye candy. I'm not personally interested in such a car, but my Ford stock might be if it's profitable.

Presently, I have no replacement plans for my ST. However, I suspect that the next fun car will have eight cylinders and right wheel drive. Supposing that my choice is to have another wrong wheel drive hot hatch, I believe my choice will probably not be a Focus, for reasons that would get me labeled as "jingoistic" by some.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I love my ST!...but sadly I do not trust it for the long run. This will most likely be my first and last Ford. Unless I get to 90k miles without any major problems (I am looking at you random misfire CEL). I will want another hot hatch most likely. It also depends on if I stay in CA or move to some where with real weather and want AWD.

Besides that I hope they continue to offer sporty versions of the Focus as it looks great and is a blast to drive. I think they will. I am holding out for a new MS3, new WRX hatch, Honda Type R, or Hyundai i30 N. Sorry VW...I don't trust your cars.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
wait.....you don't trust the ST and so want to move to an MS3?!?!?!?!?

Mind boggled!
At least he didn't say GTI lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts