Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have a 2015 ST3

I'm looking for a fuse that switches on with the car but has a delayed cut off of a few minutes or so (really any duration works, so long as it's on the order of minutes and not hours).

I'm looking for something similar to the cigarette power outlets where they cut off after a short duration.

Fuse 61 looked promising (Cigar lighter, rear power outlet), but the add-a-fuse kit I have needs to be installed in the opposite direction for it to get power, so I can't it to fit in there. The red wire coming out interferes with the while block to the left of the fuses. (See below for note).

I have it installed on Fuse 85 right now, but, it powers off instantly with the car, causing my dashcam to corrupt the last thing it was recording.

Regarding orientation of add-a-fuse, I've had to install it in the opposite direction of what's shown here: http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-...-hard-wiring-radar-detector-other-device.html

I've tested it by only installing the accessory fuse, and seeing which orientation provides power. This makes me a bit worried as well...

Any suggestions are appreciated!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Only ones i can think of are dome lights or radio. If your electronics is strong, a small inline capacitor might do the trick.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Only problem with installing a capacitor is it will also need time to charge up which will delay the startup time of camera. Would also need to be a rather large capacitor too. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So after some more digging, turns out there are no fuses with a delayed cut off. Per some googling, seems like that's controlled by the cars computers.

That being said, it looks like I found a work around: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PD65UGA/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This little device has a ton of modes, one of which being a delayed cut off programmable timer! Also only draws 4mA of power which is amazing (to be fair, I'm skeptical of that).

Another program I discovered is that Fuse 85 has a some power fluctuation, as expected. On a very cold start, the fluctuation is enough so that my dash cam doesn't turn on by itself. (The off time isn't long enough to trigger a power-on once the power returns) This device will solve that as well since the off delay mode will also act as if a capacitor was in the circuit.

--Ryan

·
Registered
78 Posts
I too was looking for a delay off for my ambient lighting. Found this fairly simple 2n2222/capacitor circuit online. A 220uf cap gives about a 20 sec delay. Probably more work than it's worth. But I had the parts and it's winter in Wisco.
20170209_012528.jpg

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
You could always buy a better dash cam? My blackvue has some sort of internal capacitor that powers down the camera after power is removed, giving it about 5-7 sec of additional time, and then says, literally talks and says, "powering down." I'm sure blackvue is not the only one that features this. dashcam's are becoming a commodity these days, as low as $20.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts