Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,883 Posts
I have one of the Futomo drain plugs sitting in my garage. Have been debating about installing it. Not because I don't trust it. I've heard some horror stories about vehicles running over stuff and the plug being ripped out since it sticks out a bit. Other than that I've only heard good experiences with these drains.

Sent from another galaxy.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I see these all the time and wonder, is it really that hard to put a wrench on a bolt and loosen it??!?!?!?

These valves seem like a bad idea to me, could leak or if you hit something it could open the valve or something else silly. Just doesn't seem worth it.

Get a good Magnetic Oil Drain bolt and be done with it.

·
Premium Member
13,883 Posts
I see these all the time and wonder, is it really that hard to put a wrench on a bolt and loosen it??!?!?!?

These valves seem like a bad idea to me, could leak or if you hit something it could open the valve or something else silly. Just doesn't seem worth it.

Get a good Magnetic Oil Drain bolt and be done with it.
The purpose behind them is a almost mess free oil change. You can drain directly into a disposable container. Your filter would be the messy part.

Sent from another galaxy.

·
Registered
273 Posts
^ I get it but come on, how hard is an oil change, it takes 10 minutes at most with a drain pan, it's like people using a spark plug gapper tool, really?

It's like trying to reinvent the wheel to me.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
^ I get it but come on, how hard is an oil change, it takes 10 minutes at most with a drain pan, it's like people using a spark plug gapper tool, really?

It's like trying to reinvent the wheel to me.
I entirely see your point 100%, but being able to get down there without tools at all, attach a hose, and flip a switch and drain your oil into a container/pan with no mess other than the filter...is awesome. Obviously you still MIGHT need a filter wrench if your filter is on tight, but this could mean a tool-less even easier oil change...and I already like how easy it is lol.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I entirely see your point 100%, but being able to get down there without tools at all, attach a hose, and flip a switch and drain your oil into a container/pan with no mess other than the filter...is awesome. Obviously you still MIGHT need a filter wrench if your filter is on tight, but this could mean a tool-less even easier oil change...and I already like how easy it is lol.
I see it as introducing another point of failure, with oil, why would anyone want to do that.

People are making it seem like changing Oil is a major, laborious task....... If someone plans to work on cars without tools, it should be left to someone else IMO.

Guess I am not the demographic for this type of product.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
I see it as introducing another point of failure, with oil, why would anyone want to do that.

People are making it seem like changing Oil is a major, laborious task....... If someone plans to work on cars without tools, it should be left to someone else IMO.

Guess I am not the demographic for this type of product.
Oh I totally agree that it adds another possible point of failure...but at the same time I've heard of exactly 0 times that's happened with anyone using these. If anything I've heard of less people cross threading their drain pan bolts and stuff lol

·
Registered
273 Posts
Oh I totally agree that it adds another possible point of failure...but at the same time I've heard of exactly 0 times that's happened with anyone using these. If anything I've heard of less people cross threading their drain pan bolts and stuff lol
Yea I am sure they work but like your example, I see someone who cross threads a drain pan bolt, doing something silly like leaving this open LoL.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Yea I am sure they work but like your example, I see someone who cross threads a drain pan bolt, doing something silly like leaving this open LoL.
Wouldn't that be the same as someone not putting the bolt back in place? Which I've seen people do on more than one occasion (once was a Yamaha R6 though not a car) so it isn't a huge amount different

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hmmmm I guess so but just seems easier when the drain/petcock is already in place, seems easier to forget to shut the valve to me.
This reminds me, I need to buy a magnetic drain plug for the Focus.

·
Registered
2016 Kona Blue ST3
526 Posts
I have one on both of my cars. Installed during the last oil change on both cars so I can't say just yet how convenient they are, but I like the idea and my dad kept telling me it was the best thing since sliced bread on his Super Duty. If it weren't for the undertray on the Focus, oil changes would be a completely tool-less affair (really shouldn't need a filter wrench to remove a filter, they don't need to be smoked on... just saying). And just to throw it out there, I'm a mechanic by trade and I love things that don't require tools.

The only way the valve itself is leaking is complete mechanical failure (not likely since it's an extremely simple design, would almost certainly stem from a manufacturing defect), and they provide gaskets to place between the valve body and oil pan to prevent leakage at the threads (although there's just as much chance of that leaking as there is from a regular drain plug, AKA pretty much none unless the threads are damaged or you cross-threaded the plug).

Also, for those worried about them getting ripped off while driving: unless you're either laying frame without an undertray or skid plate, jumping your ST like a stuntman, or taking your ST rock crawling in the Moab, they most definitely do not hang down low enough to cause concern. It doesn't even hang low enough to touch the undertray. And that's with the required adapter/spacer to allow the valve to clear the bottom of the oil pan.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I didn't read all these replies but I want my drain plug to be magnetic. Period.

I had this valve on my old Civic and it was glorious. Especially with the tube to attach to it and drain it straight to the pan. No mess at all.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
I didn't read all these replies but I want my drain plug to be magnetic. Period.

I had this valve on my old Civic and it was glorious. Especially with the tube to attach to it and drain it straight to the pan. No mess at all.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Steeda has a cheap mag drain plug, that’s what I ended up using on mine. Removing the filter is what makes the big mess for me, I can get the drain plug out w/o oil touching my hand.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Steeda has a cheap mag drain plug, that’s what I ended up using on mine. Removing the filter is what makes the big mess for me, I can get the drain plug out w/o oil touching my hand.
After having the ecoboost swapped in, compared to the old zetecs and SPI, the oil filter on this motor is so great. No more reaching behind the motor and wiggling between the axle and subframe. Ahhhh.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts