Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i’ve been thinking about upgrading my fuel system for a long time due to the fact that besides the turbo it is the limiting factor on these cars. I do not want to do the typical 2 or 4 port aux fuel way due to the difficulty of install and things that could potentially go wrong if something fails. So in turn is there any research or any products i could look into that’s not gonna absolutely demolish my wallet and will provide this eco boost with more fuel? Maybe a reworked hybrid OEM HPFP of sorts, in tank fuel pump and injectors?

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Been running my aux-fuel DIY setup for over 2 years on E85 straight, no issues as of yet. Any components can fail over time, and if you tune the car to take advantage of the extra fuel, failure will be damaging no matter what route you pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
7,635 Posts
So i’ve been thinking about upgrading my fuel system for a long time due to the fact that besides the turbo it is the limiting factor on these cars. I do not want to do the typical 2 or 4 port aux fuel way due to the difficulty of install and things that could potentially go wrong if something fails. So in turn is there any research or any products i could look into that’s not gonna absolutely demolish my wallet and will provide this eco boost with more fuel? Maybe a reworked hybrid OEM HPFP of sorts, in tank fuel pump and injectors?
Well, first off, what are your goals? What turbo are you going to run? Are you building a motor?

Secondly, all of our aux fuel setups have been discussed thoroughly in other threads, and anything involving fuel injectors is not going to be cheap at all.

Cheapest way to add extra fuel to our platform was, and still remains, running a wmi setup.

Been running my aux-fuel DIY setup for over 2 years on E85 straight, no issues as of yet. Any components can fail over time, and if you tune the car to take advantage of the extra fuel, failure will be damaging no matter what route you pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It would be more helpful if you had a parts list and pics of your setup, also a price for all the components. The OP is on what seems to be a very tight budget.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, first off, what are your goals? What turbo are you going to run? Are you building a motor?

Secondly, all of our aux fuel setups have been discussed thoroughly in other threads, and anything involving fuel injectors is not going to be cheap at all.

Cheapest way to add extra fuel to our platform was, and still remains, running a wmi setup.

It would be more helpful if you had a parts list and pics of your setup, also a price for all the components. The OP is on what seems to be a very tight budget.
Not planning to crack my motor open until i absolutely have to, it’s my daily driver i’m not looking for anything super insane. My tuner told me pistons and rods start to be questionable around 420whp. I’m planning to get close but with E30 and eventually WMI to keep it cool and healthy. As far as turbo, although there’s been major debate against it, i’m going with a turbo bay’s new STG3, planing to get 380whp 400trq.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I do not want to do the typical 2 or 4 port aux fuel way due to the difficulty of install and things that could potentially go wrong if something fails.

Maybe a reworked hybrid OEM HPFP of sorts, in tank fuel pump and injectors?
I would think upgrading in tank pump or even swapping out the oem hpfp/injectors is more difficult than doing an aux fuel setup. Not to mention doing so would be more expensive.

HPFP upgrade ~ $1600-$2500
Injectors -$639
not sure if anyone has an intake upgrade (or if its needed)

vs
2-port aux ~ $900
4-port aux ~$1450
cheaper if you source/build yourself

·
Super Moderator
7,635 Posts
I would think upgrading in tank pump or even swapping out the oem hpfp/injectors is more difficult than doing an aux fuel setup. Not to mention doing so would be more expensive.

HPFP upgrade ~ $1600-$2500
Injectors -$639
not sure if anyone has an intake upgrade (or if its needed)

vs
2-port aux ~ $900
4-port aux ~$1450
cheaper if you source/build yourself
The in tank pump needs to be upgraded if you are running E85 over 600 hp iirc. Deatchwerks has one, I think AEM or walbro may as well. I have the deatschwerks 5 feet from me, lol.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The in tank pump needs to be upgraded if you are running E85 over 600 hp iirc. Deatchwerks has one, I think AEM or walbro may as well. I have the deatschwerks 5 feet from me, lol.
What could an in tank pump and injectors do for me ? Could RS injectors work for me? do they pump out more fuel than the ST’s injectors? I can get the RS injectors for stupid cheap is why i’m asking.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
What could an in tank pump and injectors do for me ? Could RS injectors work for me? do they pump out more fuel than the ST’s injectors? I can get the RS injectors for stupid cheap is why i’m asking.

Auxiliary injectors tap into the low-pressure fuel line. Therefore you upgrading the intank fuel pump to increase the volume. Upgraded hpfp is stupid expensive.

·
Super Moderator
7,635 Posts
Our hpfp doesnt flow enough.

I didnt think the RS injectors were bigger, but then again, I never cared to check, because our hpfp is the weak link. The 2.3 has different cam lobe for their different hpfp, so before you ask, no you cant just run a 2.3 hpfp.

This has all been covered before, and even moreso recently. Google searching would get you all these answers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts