Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today for the second time after a fill up my car hasn't registered a full tank. I have a stratified e85 tune with supporting mods and haven't had the issue before. I use the same fuel every time and the same amounts. Not sure if it's the gauge itself or if something is wrong. On my AP I haven't noticed any abnormal readings no knock on any cylinders, fuel correction reads -1.0 so I'm confused. I've read and searched all over and haven't seen anyone with a similar issue. Everyone else's problem seems to be with more of an inaccurate miles to empty and fluctuation between 1/2-1/4 or super close to E with a full tank.
before fill up

after fill up

When I fill up I use 3.3 gal of e85 and the rest 93 (usually around 7.5 gal). I know the tank is only a 10ish gallon tank but I feel likes it takes closer to 11?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Sounds like you're focusing (no pun intended, lol) more on the mixture quantity than actually filling the tank. Doing the math, you're adding just over 10 gallons. Depending on what was already in the tank, that would account for it. I know you said this just started a tank or two ago; I'm just thinking out loud to try and help.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like you're focusing (no pun intended, lol) more on the mixture quantity than actually filling the tank. Doing the math, you're adding just over 10 gallons. Depending on what was already in the tank, that would account for it. I know you said this just started a tank or two ago; I'm just thinking out loud to try and help.
Haha I mean the most I've ever been able to pump is just over 11. Since the weather has changed and started getting nicer out I've switched from only 93 to e30. While solely on 93 I would always reach the "full" level and before while on e30 with the mixture I would get there. It wasn't until just recently this was happening. I mean I'm not super worried but would rather know why.

The only time I ever run the tank down as low I did was while running e30 so I wouldn't have the mixture. And in doing so I've only ever been able pump maybe 11.2 gallons.

·
Registered
768 Posts
As far as I know, tank capacity shouldn't be based off fuel density or something like that; like probes in an airplane tank. As far as I know, it's basically based off a float, a sensor, or something similar that just captures capacity. So I have no idea why the mixture would cause this problem. Seems like something is just stuck.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I hope you are not use E85 gas. Focus ST should only use regular 87 or premium 91 or 93 only.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
He's tuned to run E85 as his original post states. Lots of people are tuned to run E85. It's fine.
@Rcooper5, try reflashing your tune. My fuel and temp gauges act a little wonky for a short time after flashing. You could also go into test mode by holding the "OK" button on the left side of the steering wheel when turning the car on (doesn't need to start). Continue holding the button until the test screen shows up then cycle through to do a gauge sweep to make sure the needle moves all the way to full.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Unless Ford invented some new system, I believe our cars use the typical float sensor which means what is actually in the tank is irrelevant to fuel levels. I had a similar problem in my old Suzuki about a decade ago. I ended up replacing the fuel gauge fuse and it fixed it. However, this does appear to be a known issue with 2012-2014 Focuses.

Ford Focus Tech Tip: Inaccurate Fuel Gauge Or Distance-To-Empty Indication

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
See if your gas tank has been sucked in. If there is an inch between the metal straps and the tank, you need a new tank, pump and sender, and charcoal canister and Evap solenoid. There is a tsb about 20 miles to empty and running out of gas. Or it could just be a bad sender. Or a bad cluster. Lol

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
He's tuned to run E85 as his original post states. Lots of people are tuned to run E85. It's fine.
@Rcooper5, try reflashing your tune. My fuel and temp gauges act a little wonky for a short time after flashing. You could also go into test mode by holding the "OK" button on the left side of the steering wheel when turning the car on (doesn't need to start). Continue holding the button until the test screen shows up then cycle through to do a gauge sweep to make sure the needle moves all the way to full.
So I did this and it seems to have worked. Held down the OK button and just cycled through all the menus and it reset all gauges. Did not reflash the tune. I also didn't drive it anymore. So tomorrow when I leave for work we'll see what happens. I commute roughly 40 miles round trip to and from work so we'll see what kind of numbers I get.

Reactions: BetaDnB

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
See if your gas tank has been sucked in. If there is an inch between the metal straps and the tank, you need a new tank, pump and sender, and charcoal canister and Evap solenoid. There is a tsb about 20 miles to empty and running out of gas. Or it could just be a bad sender. Or a bad cluster. Lol
Everything looks fine underneath. This an issue that just happened so for me it's abnormal.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
182 miles to empty? Is that the 19.x MPG or is the tank not full?
Hahaha unfortunately that's for a full tank. I'm a little heavy on the gas pedal so my avg is pretty low. Although I do normally get anywhere from 220-245 miles on a tank of gas. And that's on E85 tune. As stated before I'm for whatever reason only able to pump right around 10-11.3 gallons in my tank. I've never gone anywhere near 12 gallons.

·
Registered
207 Posts
So I did this and it seems to have worked. Held down the OK button and just cycled through all the menus and it reset all gauges. Did not reflash the tune. I also didn't drive it anymore. So tomorrow when I leave for work we'll see what happens. I commute roughly 40 miles round trip to and from work so we'll see what kind of numbers I get.
Keep us posted. Especially after you refill the tank.

·
Registered
110 Posts
As stated before I'm for whatever reason only able to pump right around 10-11.3 gallons in my tank. I've never gone anywhere near 12 gallons.
If you're pumping 11+ gallons, you're running dangerously close to running the pump dry. I put in 10.6 today and that was more than I like to

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
If you are at 0 miles to empty, you still have at least a gallon reserve in the tank.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts