Ford Focus ST Forum banner

201 - 215 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
hell no, keep the RS lid & Green filter on it,, your motor needs to breathe! I would buy the rubber cap/plug ($15) for the end of the filter and maybe swap the stock lid back on in the summer if you notice high IAT's.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Dont forget a dealer or ASE certified mechanic has to technically install the plug/calibration for it to be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Where do I get the rubber endcap? And, I'm working on getting a ASE mechanic now. Cheapest dealer is $135 thought I'm sure I can find someone that'll sign off on it..

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Where do I get the rubber endcap? And, I'm working on getting a ASE mechanic now. Cheapest dealer is $135 thought I'm sure I can find someone that'll sign off on it..
you can google green filter end cap #18095 or mountune filter end cap (they're the same size).

FS werks has em for $12

https://www.fswerks.com/products/cap-for-green-filter-7159

$10 here

https://www.carid.com/green-filter/filter-cap-mpn-18095.html?view=385515&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuazNm6Td4AIV0LfACh0htAc_EAQYBSABEgL64_D_BwE

$8.56

https://www.rvautoparts.com/18095-Green-Filter-Cold-Air-Intake-Splash-Shield-For-Use-With-Green_p_345968.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIms6b2aTd4AIVEZ7ACh3UNwnwEAQYASABEgLUyfD_BwE

·
Registered
503 Posts
My car is a 2017 ST3 with 26,000 miles. True blue has the tune and plugs (only) for $390. Would love COBB but for what I need/want the FRPP may still be the way to go. I'd still have a bit of W left to make sure everything's OK. Nothing is off the table though.
I would get the kit with the snorkel & filter for $140 more. 10K on a powertrain is still better than no 10K so better to be safe than sorry in my opinion, you could always custom tune way down the road. I would definitely get a MX OBD dongle and Torquepro or Forscan lite to monitor everything.
You don't need the snorkel to have it covered under warranty. The tune is covered regardless, as long as it's installed by an ASE certified tech or Ford Dealer.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
You don't need the snorkel to have it covered under warranty. The tune is covered regardless, as long as it's installed by an ASE certified tech or Ford Dealer.
ehh? I never said it wasnt... I said to get the snorkel & filter because its worth the extra $140 to have a true FRPP cold air intake and high flow closed end filter, especially in the hot summer months.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
although there are some people that think the FRPP CAI snorkel & filter is part of the total package and needs to be installed for the warranty to be valid, this was talked about in other threads. I dont believe it is the case but I guess a call to ford racing could clear up the confusion if in doubt!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Loaded, I'm right there with you....can't stop smiling. I don't have any experience with other tunes, so I can't say if it is any better or worse, but I don't have any complaints with what I got out of the deal! Did you notice any difference in torque steer? i swear it does not seem as severe now after the tune....but I might just be getting used to it. The last high HP FWD car I had was a 2001 Volvo S80 T6 and on a damp road, the SOB would head straight for the drainage ditch if you got on it (TC Off), especially if there was any crown to the road. The TC was the most irritating thing the world...it would just cut all power and leave you sitting in the middle of an intersection with on coming traffic :shocked:. Anyhow, I think the FR tune is satisfying in an ear to ear kind of way. The torque comes on so hard in the midrange, it's got to be a little tough on the clutch and transmission, unless it is overbuilt. The ESC is probably going to eat up some brake pads, too. Stock, my front wheels were already usually completely coated with brake dust after a few hundred miles. I guess I need to find a little more finesse in my throttle control.
Is this the same tune as the ford preformance calibration for the focus st or is it a different one

·
Registered
69 Posts
Quick question about torque with this tune. Every dyno graph I have seen it is higher then similarly equipped cars tunes with AP3. Any reasons/thoughts on why etc?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I don't have an FRPP yet (plan to do it someday), but from my understanding FRPP basically continues the "spirit" of the ST - the stock tune is very torque-y, sacrificing high end power to low end torque. The tiny stock turbo is a good indication of that.
Most other tuners favor more high end power, so the max torque is lower than in FRPP and doesn't come as fast or as early.
In the end it's a matter of personal preference - some (most?) people prefer high end power, while others prefer low end torque. I'm the latter - I love how the FoST behaves when I floor it in 2nd or 3rd gear at 2000 RPM (torque steer and tire screech included), so I'll be going with the FRPP (although I'm sure other tuners can offer similar tunes as well).

BTW, VW's tuner APR offers low torque and high torque versions of their tunes, probably to cater to the tastes of different people. The high torque tune typically have lower peak HP (for example for the GTI Stage 1 on 93 gas, low torque 326/327 tq/hp vs high torque 351/321 tq/hp).

·
Registered
940 Posts
Actually the reason the torque is so high down low on it doesnt matter what tune or tuner you use especially on the ST is because the K03 is a quick spooling lil snail that runs out of breath at about 5k. Now some tuners are able to pull a few extra high hps into the 5500k range but alot of times thats with adjusting the maxpreload on the wastegate otherwise the boost really fluffers off after around 4700 to 5k down to 11 to 15 psi depending on the health of your motor and turbo and fuel to stave off knock an add timing. Now you mentioned VWs n Audis, same story there they used the K03 in a large majority of their cars which is why their tunes are so similar and powerbands are like that of the ST, some you may find with K04s like whats on the speed3 n 6s, i still have my K04 after doing my Corksport upgrade to.my speed6 and i have always thought itd be a small lil upgrade to the ST i think to give it that extra lil umph for some longer top end power. So the reason the FRPP tune is like that is because thats really the only thing they had to work with was lots of low end torque they werent going to have people messin with the wastegate load reason being when you do that for extended periods you create alot of heat at the turbo. Another reason the FRPP tune looks so high on their dyno charts is they can cool a cars charge and do a really really good pull on the dyno and then when it gets soak that power you see disappears. So its kind of a manipulation of dyno charts. Alot of companies i believe do it and will deny it. But last but not least is the reason some of the other aftermarket tunes from pro tuners look alil more balanced in the powerband is because they alot of times i have heard tend to, not try to run the tune so ragged, they try to leave some on the table so if theres an issue theres some room for correction. I have heard, not thru exprience, but have heard and read that FRPPs tune is taken to the very limits of what they can do. Well thats not everything but thats some of what i know.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I hear what you're saying @GotAFoSTnSpeed6, and it makes sense. Your last note about that tuners don't want to max out the turbo while FRPP takes the tune to the limit makes me wonder - FRPP offer a 3 year warranty on the tune (if you install through Ford and do it right after you bought the car new). If there's reason for concern about maxing out the tune, why do they offer such a warranty? I don't think any of the 3rd party tuners offer any warranty, right?

201 - 215 of 215 Posts