Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title states this is for performance and comparison of the FRPP tune. Not the flasher just the tune. If your want to discuss warranty pick any of the ten other threads out there.

This jvm051 handed my the key to his ST and asked for my opinion and to post up on it. Besides the FRPP tune his car equipped with Roush Racing intake with factory air box K&N filter and Roush exhaust (holy hell is that loud inside the car).

I took the car for a couple rolling 3rd gear pulls from 2500 to 6200 rpm. Then right through the gear box. Nothing I don't do in my own car. Using the butt dyno the car felt every bit as strong as the Cobb stage 1 tune.

Please keep this thread on task and discuss the tune itself.

·
The Mod with a Mouth
9,494 Posts
No. It's not like the SCT or the AP. It's a more basic system. I let someone who owns one comment on the hardware capabilities. I was just offering my driving impression opinion.
I hope there is a way to monitor your car with this setup.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
You should be able to hook up an SCT flasher and data log it with that. Or in the case of the X4 you might be able to data log AND monitor this.

The LiveWire should be able to data log and monitor this, also.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Thanks Kevin for posting!

I wanted someone without any vested interest in the tune one way or another, to take it for a spin, and knowing Kevin is a respected member of this community, handing him the keys was an easy one. With regards to datalogs, it is not possibly for the Procal. If this is a desired option, I would not recommend the FRPP unit. Short of adjusting for gear ratios, and tire size, and checking codes, it is as bare bones as it gets. Actual Dyno numbers, I just do not want to spend the $60 bucks just to find out, but if someone knows someone in Arizona who would offer up their dyno, I would be more than happy to strap it down... Track times....Drag Racing....Lets just say, I cannot launch this car for $hit. Hopefully someone else with the tune will offer their car up to get this testing done. If there ever is a dyno day in AZ where the rate is discounted, I may be open to this, but being a cheap a$$, after forking out the dough to have this dealer installed, there are a few other pieces I am looking at on the car with my limited play money.

EDIT: after seeing the posts about attaching other tuners up for dataloging, can the COBB AP be used? The few people I know are using the AP....

·
Registered
329 Posts
Waiting on my FRPP tune kit to ship.

Between 2500 - 5500 RPM, is it a nice noticable difference?!

I'm only doing the Intake w/ filter/ plugs/ calibration.

·
Super Moderator
6,563 Posts
Ready to be made fun of but what is the impact to MPG? I am just curious
As with any tune, that will depend entirely on your right foot. The tune will make the engine more efficient, so you could actually get better mileage, as long as you have self control.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Gas mileage is about the same. The first tank I forgot to reset was a wash since I was playing. Yesterday even blasting through the hills with a few other ST owners I still got about 25.5 mpg and I am just doing normal driving currently on the new tank averaging 26 ish. Most of my driving is highway set to 65 but I like to take on ramps in a spirited fashion.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Another dumb question but is this the type of tune that can be flashed back to stock or are you stuck with it being your only tune now?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Another dumb question but is this the type of tune that can be flashed back to stock or are you stuck with it being your only tune now?
Yes you can reflash it back. Both tunes are stored. I am real happy with the tune. I got 24 mpg last tank with a heavy foot. I dont have to downshift to pass, just floor it, and instant torque. The torque from down low to 4500 rpm is awesome. Looking for an exhaust to add to the arsenal.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
797 Posts
Dude. Shut up about the warranty.

·
The Mod with a Mouth
9,494 Posts
I am curious about this also. It would make sense that what ever tune is on the ECU can be removed and replaced with something else.

1 - 20 of 215 Posts