Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats it do in the quarter? Or trap speeds ? Or the 0-60? Ive read pleanty about how people love it or hate it , or how it dies @ 5k Rpms, or how its "street tuned"... But i havent read a single thing about how it performs in the quarter, or how it traps, or the 0-60 times people are getting in them. Ive seen pleanty of dyno charts, anyone have an idea?

·
Registered
862 Posts
Whats it do in the quarter? Or trap speeds ? Or the 0-60? Ive read pleanty about how people love it or hate it , or how it dies @ 5k Rpms, or how its "street tuned"... But i havent read a single thing about how it performs in the quarter, or how it traps, or the 0-60 times people are getting in them. Ive seen pleanty of dyno charts, anyone have an idea?
Take it and run it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Take it and run it.
WEll thats just it. Ive heard so many crazy things about this tune and even weirder dyno charts that i wouldn't know if running this thing would slow your car down in the longer sprints. Not sure if 96 lbs peak torque for what seems to be 2k-4900k Rpms with a drop off over stock past 5k would kill this car or help it

·
Registered
24 Posts
It's trading top end speed for more torque and acceleration. For how most enthusiast drive their cars it's a really nice tune making the car a monster on the streets.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Well I'm not aware of any tunes other than one setup for economy that wouldn't IMPROVE all of the times mentioned. However driver mod is the biggest factor there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
WEll thats just it. Ive heard so many crazy things about this tune and even weirder dyno charts that i wouldn't know if running this thing would slow your car down in the longer sprints. Not sure if 96 lbs peak torque for what seems to be 2k-4900k Rpms with a drop off over stock past 5k would kill this car or help it
Hey Mike, I have the FRPP tune on my car. I have not taken it to the drag strip for a quarter mile time yet, so I can't speak to times. However, I will say that in my experience, I can't imagine that the drop off you've read about above 5k would hurt your performance compared to stock. While some of the feedback on the internet might have you believe otherwise, it is simply not true that the power dramatically falls off a cliff past 5k. My impression is that the car definitely feels more aggressive below 5k, but still feels pretty quick all the way to redline. Past 5k, there is a gradual reduction in power down to about how it felt when it was stock. To me, the drop off is subtle, and I don't know that I would have thought much of it if I hadn't read about it beforehand. At the very least, it's not nearly as bad as I've read elsewhere online, where some users are acting like the thing hits a wall past 4900 rpms. If I recall correctly, I believe I read that Ford made some tweaks with the current v1.1 tune compared to the original v1.0 that helped minimize the drop off issues, so maybe some of that feedback is coming from users that experienced the original tune.

Anyhow, in my mind, the FRPP gives you a much quicker car from launch to 5k rpms and similar to stock above 5k rpms, which should still yield a significant improvement in the quarter mile. I think if anything, trying to get traction with the extra torque would be the true challenge for quarter mile improvements vs. stock. I too noticed that there is virtually zero data when it comes to stock vs. FRPP in the quarter mile, so I'll be sure to come back and post times when I take mine in the future.

·
Registered
380 Posts
at this time mods were frpp tune, steeda fmic, cfm rmm, and k&n filter. i had one 13.65 but cant find the pic. consistently on the frpp tune i would yield 13.7-13.9 @102-105mph i shift at 5,500rpm. IMG_0638.JPG IMG_0637.JPG

·
Registered
20 Posts
at this time mods were frpp tune, steeda fmic, cfm rmm, and k&n filter. i had one 13.65 but cant find the pic. consistently on the frpp tune i would yield 13.7-13.9 @102-105mph i shift at 5,500rpm. View attachment 203897 View attachment 203905
bHalls, thanks so much for sharing. May I ask what tires you were running at the time? Those are some great times for what amounts to basically a tune, filter, and FMIC!

·
Registered
380 Posts
The original Goodyear eagle f1's at 25psi in the front, and thanks ive made a ton of passes down the strip so that always helps the most.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
at this time mods were frpp tune, steeda fmic, cfm rmm, and k&n filter. i had one 13.65 but cant find the pic. consistently on the frpp tune i would yield 13.7-13.9 @102-105mph i shift at 5,500rpm. View attachment 203897 View attachment 203905
Thank you so much man! Dude you just sold me on that FRPP tune. I believe this is the only time slip ive seen in all my searching. I was going to wait for the COBB tuner but with times and TQ numbers like those WITH a 36k warranty.... well for me thats a no brainer.

·
Registered
380 Posts
It quite possibly be able to hit low 13's with better rubber. I would make sure you have an upgraded front mount before even considering a tune. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update: bought the Tune, cant wait to see what it feels like. Alos bought Steeda MM, Steeda rear sway, FRPP CIA, and FsWerks S. Shifter, probabaly take it to the strip in a couple of weeks, the parts are going on this weekend

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Took mine out (frpp tune + intake) Cobb RRM, Sway bar, short shifter...not even close =/. My best 1/8 (only running that because it rained) 9.3 @ 80 mph with a 2.25 60 ft... That equates to a 14.7 at 99 mph. That sucked. Thats worse then stock... subsequent runs went all the way down to 70 mph @ 10.3

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Took mine out (frpp tune + intake) Cobb RRM, Sway bar, short shifter...not even close =/. My best 1/8 (only running that because it rained) 9.3 @ 80 mph with a 2.25 60 ft... That equates to a 14.7 at 99 mph. That sucked. Thats worse then stock... subsequent runs went all the way down to 70 mph @ 10.3
worse than stock? i think something went wrong with your installation???

·
Registered
393 Posts
worse than stock? i think something went wrong with your installation???
When I was stock tune with a drop in filter and muffler delete I ran a flat 9 with a 2.2 60'. Maybe it's elevation or shifting differently after the 60' mark?

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have only been on the track once. I had trouble with traction on the stock tune so I can only imagine that with a tune you certainly need to upgrade tires before you see results.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
I have only been on the track once. I had trouble with traction on the stock tune so I can only imagine that with a tune you certainly need to upgrade tires before you see results.
I'm with you on trying to maintain traction but that's driver error and lack of proper rubber etc. the poster makes it sound like the tune caused a loss of engine power which I doubt unless it was a installation error or corrupted data in the flash

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
I'm with you on trying to maintain traction but that's driver error and lack of proper rubber etc. the poster makes it sound like the tune caused a loss of engine power which I doubt unless it was a installation error or corrupted data in the flash
I love that y'all are searching and stuff on the forum, but since this was from almost a year ago and the guy you replied to hasn't been active in nearly 6 months he might not chime in hahaha

It sounds to me like rain or driver mod is the cause here

·
Registered
266 Posts
It quite possibly be able to hit low 13's with better rubber. I would make sure you have an upgraded front mount before even considering a tune. Just my 2 cents
Getting pilot sport 4S, what kind of ET am I looking at vs stock tires, but no FMIC upgrade :(

FMIC shouldn't matter on the first few runs of the night right? Just let it cool down. It only affects it if you do passes one after another and it gets hot. So let it cool down and it should be good?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts