Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello All,

I'm going to be having the FRPP Tune/Calibration (M-14204-FSTA) installed tomorrow at my local dealership (for warranty purposes). Knowing how easy it is to apply with your own computer, I wish I could do this myself and maintain my factory warranty - but oh well.

I have a few questions for those that have had the tune/calibration performed:

- Ford Performance indicates that before the tune is applied, all DTCs must be resolved. Did anyone have pre-existing DTCs that needed resolution? If so, how quick were they resolved?

- ProCal 3 software has two options before applying the calibration - one is for "Octane Adjust" - Used to counter an engine that may be already experiencing knock, one is for "Profile Learning" - used in order for the system to re-learn in the event of engine misfires. Did any apply these options, or leave them to the default "off" position?

- I feel that because this install is geared towards your personal computer, I will be bringing my laptop with me to the dealership to have them apply the calibration. I've pre-checked everything, and pre-downloaded the tune onto my laptop as well. My concern being that many in a dealership are not IT-oriented, and they had mentioned it took them 4 hours to complete a FRPP tune on a Mustang the other day (they mentioned having issues with their dealership PC). Has anyone done this themselves as well? The only thing the dealership really has to do that takes a brief amount of time should be to install the Spark Plugs - correct?

-When I downloaded the tune, it had my VIN associated with the file. I noted that the description indicated a 2015 Focus ST - but mine is a 2016 ST. I assume this is just a generic descriptor of the tune.

Thank you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
A friend (ASE Certified) and I did the FRPP Tune to my 2017 ST1. It was straight stock only change was a RS Airbox no codes popped up during the preliminary checks, did not do any octane adjustments. It's as you said do the plugs and apply the tune.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

Also, can Ford recommends gap in plugs between .026 and .028. I believe plugs come pregapped to .028, but what would be best?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Whatever FRPP said the gap is/should be for those Cold Plugs, I verified that it was gapped to that specific number. I'd like to think that that # is an integral part of the tune/calibration.

·
Registered
36 Posts
BTW I DL'd the instructions from the Mountune site. The only pages that I needed for the calibration install were pgs 11 thru 14 of 14 "ProCal 3 Instructions". I wouldn' t let the dealer's mechanic fumble through the other pages. I hope you got a flat rate for this job. Wouldn't want him to "milk" the job otherwise. Just a thought!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BTW I DL'd the instructions from the Mountune site. The only pages that I needed for the calibration install were pgs 11 thru 14 of 14 "ProCal 3 Instructions". I wouldn' t let the dealer's mechanic fumble through the other pages. I hope you got a flat rate for this job. Wouldn't want him to "milk" the job otherwise. Just a thought!
Thanks dude. The dealership is managed by my father, so they know not to goof around. I appreciate your replies.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What are the secret questions and phrases to use with the dealer?

I spoke now with a Service Manager about the M-14204-FSTA, about being a Ford Factory tune and maintaining the warranty.

I feel like he didn't hear a damn word I said as he responded with {INSERT BLANK STARE WITH TILTED HEAD} and then said that any tunes would void the warranty.

-

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What are the secret questions and phrases to use with the dealer?

I spoke now with a Service Manager about the M-14204-FSTA, about being a Ford Factory tune and maintaining the warranty.

I feel like he didn't hear a damn word I said as he responded with {INSERT BLANK STARE WITH TILTED HEAD} and then said that any tunes would void the warranty.

-

Show him the documentation from Ford Performance website, or find another dealer that isn't obstinate.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts