Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here goes, installed frpp tune two weeks ago, it was making 25lbs of boost pegging the gauge in every gear at any rpm. Now after a bit it seems to drop boost at 5k down to 22lbs or so. What gives? I installed boomba shift bushings and breedt shift arm two days ago, maybe I pulled a hose out. No cels, no idle issues, I unplugged my maf to install bushings and arm. Is this normal or is it a problem. The car still hits 25lbs but doesnt seem to hold it as long as it did before.

·
Vendor
104 Posts
Stock turbo wont hold boost that high for that long.
Also keep in mind, weather will play a factor when talking a couple PSI, mainly humidy, and heat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok thanks, why was it pinning the gauge and holding as long as I held it? Oh yeah weather you said. I swear it has changed a bit at 5k. It isnt a big deal, I just try to stay in powerband , just seems like it was actually pulling better before. We had tons of rain and I drove my rx 330 for the past week and sun came out today and went for a drive. Guess all the rain drying up made humidity rise. Can I put an fmic on this weekend with ford racing pro calibration. Also do I need to retune my car in any situations? Maint or otherwise, or when disconnecting battery or anything?? Sorry to add questions. This man at buymazdaspeed in sav, ga says he has a 900 dollar intercooler made by mishimoto and will sell it to me for 300. Will an intercooler that is too large have neg. Effects on our cars? My 944 has a monster intercooler but also a big turbo with lots of extra boost to spare at high rpms. Will bigger turbo use a bigger intercooler? Like they need to be matched accordingly? Sorry to rant its late and im curious and coffeebuzzed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Funny stuff, how does this turbo match will the kkk27 they put in my 944 turbo? It seems to be bigger but im only using 19lbs of it. I wish I could just switch turbos but I dont think its that simple. It is a mind**** driving these cars one after another, they are very differnt, not to mention my lexusdrives like a hot knife through butter compared to the others, makes you notice **** when you switch cars a lot.

·
Registered
462 Posts
You are going a million miles per second here buddy.

The FoST is a different can of worms. We have a motor which has low end power like a motor twice it's size. Our turbo has a small inducer, exducer, and A/R housing. It is very efficient at middle RPM's on our engines displacement and all 18psi (23 with overboost) are available right at 2500rpm. Our setup does not suffer from lag However this small turbo results in scenario where it begins to peter out around 4,500-5k. Beyond that it looses all efficiency, and the only gains in power after that are through a denser air charge, and more aggressive timing.

However with the little K03, lots of gains in power UNDER 5k rpm can be made, it makes for an incredibly fun little car. With just the FRPP tune you almost get a flat power curve which results in more grunt everywhere. You have over 200hp from 2900rpm to the redline, while our stock tune doesn't make 200hp till near 4000rpm. What you are likely experiencing is you are getting used to the extra power and it is no longer exciting.

Another thing you may be experiencing is that our OEM intercooler is woeful at doing it's job stock, let alone tuned. If it is warm out you are likely losing some ponies due to heat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts