Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok all, this is a bit hard to describe. I installed a frpp short throw shifter, and boosted designs solid shifter bushings AND their trans bracket bushings as well, all at once. It seems now as though my shifter seems to feel quite notchy and rough going into and out of some gears. Not all the time, not one certain gear. It seems as though there are 2 stages when going into a gear when this acts up. Like I go to put the shifter into 3rd, and there's a bit of resistance, as it slides into gear, then a bit of a clunk as it goes home, all the way into gear. I thought maybe the shifter cable clip popped out of the shifter assembly, so I took off the boot and looked, no deal. It's all installed and together properly. It just seems to be some resistance, at times, for an unknown reason, in the cables/sheathings themselves. It's never missed a gear or grinds or anything. Should I be worried, anyone heard of this? Any remedies or fixes I can try? Thank you all.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Shortening the shift throw increases the amount of force needed to get it into gear. A heavier shift knob can help to balance the shifter.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya, that's what I'm thinking it is... Not terribly notchy, but definitely not as smooth as the stock unit. Gonna get a boosted designs 2.5 inch piston knob shortly...

·
Registered
825 Posts
The transmission does have the feel at the final end of the throw. The MTX-75 had it too.
One reason the Ford manual needs a bit of decisiveness from the hand.. no sloppy shifting.
You wanted more control.. you got it.

·
Registered
8,582 Posts
A heavier shift knob eases the force needed to get into gear. The shift bushings lessen the "slop" that you get used to with the normal shifter. Its less like rowing a boat into a rubber slip and more like parking a car perfectly into a spot. It takes a little effort, but feels amazing when its done. Boosted Designs does an amazing job on all of their projects, I have had/have almost all of them, but go for weight. Get their stainless steel knobs vs aluminum or something similar. It makes all the difference!

Reactions: Cowlynz

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Control? Yes. Clunky shifting? Not really. The stock unit was not clunky. This frpp short throw is clunky. Is it worth the hassle of putting the stock one back in? I don't think so. I will tear out the air box and check the bracket and cable alignment, then I'm calling it done and over.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've got the boosted designs stainless piston shifter coming next month. So far, boosted designs has been my go-to aftermarket source, love their products!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts