Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2016 Focus ST and have owned it since new. I have been experiencing an intermittent problem with the front wipers since new. The wipers will sometimes work then either just stop in the middle of the glass and just stay there or sometimes they will just stop working all together. I have explained this to the local dealer a few times since it is still under warranty and they have not been able to reproduce the problem. I am concerned because I feel it is a safety concern since it only happens when I need the wipers during a rain or snow event. For instance, today it was snowing and the wipers worked for about 10 minutes then didn't work for the rest of my commute. I pulled into a wawa and turned the car on and off hoping for some type of reset but they were still not responsive. I just tried them, now a few hours later, and they work again. Has anyone experienced this before? Thanks.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I have owned two MK3 Focus. Never have had any problem with the wipers.
Six plus years total.

I DO use Rain X. I found the long wipers would chatter and wobble a LOT. The Rain X totally solves that.
(I wonder if your wipers are so sticky they are overloading the motor/cutout?
Though if it is raining..does not seem possible. Some folks let the wipers run on a dry windshield needlessly?)
With Rain X I find I use the wiper 80% less...

I think there is a wiper reset. I do not know how to do it. Maybe another member can find it, or mention how to do it.

·
Administrator
11,899 Posts
I have 2016 Focus ST and have owned it since new. I have been experiencing an intermittent problem with the front wipers since new. The wipers will sometimes work then either just stop in the middle of the glass and just stay there or sometimes they will just stop working all together. I have explained this to the local dealer a few times since it is still under warranty and they have not been able to reproduce the problem. I am concerned because I feel it is a safety concern since it only happens when I need the wipers during a rain or snow event. For instance, today it was snowing and the wipers worked for about 10 minutes then didn't work for the rest of my commute. I pulled into a wawa and turned the car on and off hoping for some type of reset but they were still not responsive. I just tried them, now a few hours later, and they work again. Has anyone experienced this before? Thanks.
Almost sounds like the motor is shot, overheating, then resetting. I would replace the motor, then iirc the wipers either have an automatic adjustment, or the focccus app can sort them. Im leaning towards auto.

Reactions: brian60

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have owned two MK3 Focus. Never have had any problem with the wipers.
Six plus years total.

I DO use Rain X. I found the long wipers would chatter and wobble a LOT. The Rain X totally solves that.
(I wonder if your wipers are so sticky they are overloading the motor/cutout?
Though if it is raining..does not seem possible. Some folks let the wipers run on a dry windshield needlessly?)
With Rain X I find I use the wiper 80% less...

I think there is a wiper reset. I do not know how to do it. Maybe another member can find it, or mention how to do it.
I always had chatter with the wipers. In fact, if I had tested it on the test drive I might not have bought the car. I ended up swapping in new wiper blades and it didn't help. So I took my DA polisher and hit the windshield with some polish and then coated it with a ceramic coating this previous spring. It's about as smooth as it is going to get for glass, and I still experience the problem. It's very intermittent which makes it hard to pinpoint. I'm tempted to pull the negative cable for a half hour and see if it will reset anything with the wipers.

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Almost sounds like the motor is shot, overheating, then resetting. I would replace the motor, then iirc the wipers either have an automatic adjustment, or the focccus app can sort them. Im leaning towards auto.
I would replace it myself but it's still under the original warranty for another 10k miles or so. Perhaps I will try a different dealership than I have been using previously. Something is definitely up with it though, I just don't want to get into complete failure after the warranty runs out.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I have seen similar symptoms, but not as bad. It’s so utterly random that I can’t begin to reproduce it. I polished and sealed my windshield and switched to Bosch Icon wiper blades and haven’t had nearly as many stops.

Only really seems to happen in intermittent mode for me. They’ll stop mid swipe, but then pick up on the next cycle.

Edit: Also, the more the wipers stuttered, the more likely they’d stop.

·
Registered
70 Posts
my 16 also did that. had new motors installed and it fixed it for a little while then the problem came back. the blades that are on the car from factory would work the best for me until i changed to a 26in instead of a 28in blade. didnt have a problem after that but then again i traded in my 16 for a 17 ow and havent had the issue on this one....yet

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
my 16 also did that. had new motors installed and it fixed it for a little while then the problem came back. the blades that are on the car from factory would work the best for me until i changed to a 26in instead of a 28in blade. didnt have a problem after that but then again i traded in my 16 for a 17 ow and havent had the issue on this one....yet
I've never had this issue on my 14' with stock wipers...but I agree it's an extremely important safety hazard to get fixed.

Also, your status is amazing. I often turn "mediums/larges" into personal pan pizzas.

·
Super Moderator
9,548 Posts
Next time it does it, if at all possible, go straight to the dealership. Intermittent electrical problems are nearly impossible to duplicate making it hard to sort them out.

Reactions: brian60

·
Registered
353 Posts
As far as chatter and sticky blades, in addition to RainX and polishing the glass, I take a green Scotch Brite pad soaked in RainX and run it along the length of the blades, back and forth a few times. It keeps the blades soft, treated and clean. Take a look at the Scotch Brite pad afterwards and you'd be amazed at how much crap has built up on them.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
As far as chatter and sticky blades, in addition to RainX and polishing the glass, I take a green Scotch Brite pad soaked in RainX and run it along the length of the blades, back and forth a few times. It keeps the blades soft, treated and clean. Take a look at the Scotch Brite pad afterwards and you'd be amazed at how much crap has built up on them.
I can attest to the black gunk that comes off of them. If I think about it I hit them with detail spray real fast some times and it ruins the rag I'm using immediately lol

·
Registered
651 Posts
I have definitely seen other owners reporting of this issue. I'd suggest popping into another dealer and just let them know what's happening. You can even let them know replacing the wiper motor has worked in all of the other cases (at least that I've seen), and that you're concerned about a failure during weather. Part cost is between 50-100 depending on aftermarket or OEM so it won't break the bank. If Ford still refuses I'd just bite the bullet and buy one yourself because the frustration and back-and-forth with Ford just isn't worth $50.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a similar issue with my 14 focus where the wipers would seem to work on their own and then not at all while researching the problem because my Ford dealer wasn’t gonna be able to get me in for service appointment for more than two weeks I came across a solution that I wanted to try on another forum it looks like the actual cause is the current sensor which is part of the negative battery cable lead the part cost about $45 from rockauto.com and can be swapped out in about 10 minutes is it just a 10 mm wrench and a half inch socket once I replace the wire it restored my windshield wipers which it stopped working completely to working perfectly normal. If you take a look at your negative battery terminal you’ll notice there’s a sensor attached to it and to lead wires coming off of it if you notice the sensor is rusted and corroded that’s probably the issue and it the replacement part comes as a single piece the lead wire that connects to the frame near the fuse box and the sensor attached for about $45

1 - 14 of 14 Posts