Ford Focus ST Forum banner

Front End Wiggle

4K views 38 replies 14 participants last post by  blanchimont 
I am only on a stratified tune. I don't think I need a LSD. I would think bolt ons would do the trick. Perhaps RMM and lower front traction bar. I will double check my tire pressure. Just to be clear, when I put the hammer down and do a long pull my front end gets squirly and I think that just has to do with the power going down and not having great traction.
Under hard acceleration the car will torque steer to the right, which the computer will try to compensate for by applying the left front brake to pull the car back to the left. If at the same time you steer left to control it yourself the car will be in an over correcting situation. The computer will apply the right front brake to pull the car back to the right just about the same time as you steer right to correct it your self. The end result is that you are squirming down the road. A real limited slip will definitely help; our e-diff does not work very well at anything accept wearing out the brakes. I just steer as straight as possible, try to correct as little as possible and let the car find it's line.

Are you sure the brake is being engaged? A ford tech explained to me that the steering ratio is adjusted which makes left steering inputs far greater while the car is torque steering. I can't imagine the car is engaging the brakes while you are full WOT forward. Regardless, it took me awhile to get used to this. I generally just let my car pull to the right a little now under WOT.

Anyway OP - a rear motor mount is not going to make the ride stiffer. You will experience more vibration at idle but its not bad.
I'm positive it is the brakes being engaged; that is how the e-differential works. It's not like it's locking up the wheel, just slowing it down a bit so the car pulls the other way. This is one of the reasons that so much brake dust collects on the wheels of the earlier built cars that have the smaller brake rotors and more aggressive pads.

Edit: lots of cars use this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.