Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i when i bought this car and it had a decent amount of scuffs and pits in the hood and front bumper. I asked them to touch it up and they didnt do a great job on paint match..looked like white nail polish :furious:, anyway can anyone tell me if a good scrubbing with a aggressive cleaning polish and buffer might smooth and make it look a bit better? Im not looking for awesomeness since im going to autocross in the philly scca, and im sure im going to kill some cones so that's just part of the game. Ive actually built and im fitting a 1" ss tube that bolts into the wheel well and comes out around the front of the lower front end to take the brunt of the hit...still fitting it and fine tuning it so its quick on and off.

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
ok so i when i bought this car and it had a decent amount of scuffs and pits in the hood and front bumper. I asked them to touch it up and they didnt do a great job on paint match..looked like white nail polish :furious:, anyway can anyone tell me if a good scrubbing with a aggressive cleaning polish and buffer might smooth and make it look a bit better? Im not looking for awesomeness since im going to autocross in the philly scca, and im sure im going to kill some cones so that's just part of the game. Ive actually built and im fitting a 1" ss tube that bolts into the wheel well and comes out around the front of the lower front end to take the brunt of the hit...still fitting it and fine tuning it so its quick on and off.
Touch up paint is pretty much always going to look like that, it's never going to be a perfect match. I guess you could try to level it a little better, but the point is to protect the body under the paint. You have a few alternatives. One, you could use sandpaper, a sanding block, water, etc and flatten all of the high spots, then compound, polish, etc, but it would still look a bit off since the color wouldn't be perfect plus the clearcoat issue. Touch up paint is really an art and will never be a perfect match but will look good from a distance, it's just a matter if it's 5 feet or 10 feet or 20 feet, lol. Two, you could cover the front bumper leading edges with painters tape to protect from rock chips, cones, etc. Three, you could install a clear bra product for similar protection and not look so ghetto about it. Four, I think they have clear plastidip out now that you could use as a temporary protection as well. Five, you could just leave it be and have it resprayed for like 1500 bucks so it looks new in a few years or whenever you feel like it's time to look new. Six, just leave it as is.

When I got my car new, I did a quick polish and applied a ceramic coating thinking it would be enough. I should have went with a clear bra looking back. The paint really kind of sucks on this car, or at least my car. This is my first Ford and I have been pretty disappointed with the paint quality even with spending a significant amount of time right initially preparing it for the long haul. It's sad that I don't have any swirls in my black paint with a car that I leave outside 24/7 but the front end is so cratered and chipped I can't stand to even look at it. I gave up after the first month of ownership, it was a losing battle.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Touch up paint is pretty much always going to look like that, it's never going to be a perfect match. I guess you could try to level it a little better, but the point is to protect the body under the paint. You have a few alternatives. One, you could use sandpaper, a sanding block, water, etc and flatten all of the high spots, then compound, polish, etc, but it would still look a bit off since the color wouldn't be perfect plus the clearcoat issue. Touch up paint is really an art and will never be a perfect match but will look good from a distance, it's just a matter if it's 5 feet or 10 feet or 20 feet, lol. Two, you could cover the front bumper leading edges with painters tape to protect from rock chips, cones, etc. Three, you could install a clear bra product for similar protection and not look so ghetto about it. Four, I think they have clear plastidip out now that you could use as a temporary protection as well. Five, you could just leave it be and have it resprayed for like 1500 bucks so it looks new in a few years or whenever you feel like it's time to look new. Six, just leave it as is.

When I got my car new, I did a quick polish and applied a ceramic coating thinking it would be enough. I should have went with a clear bra looking back. The paint really kind of sucks on this car, or at least my car. This is my first Ford and I have been pretty disappointed with the paint quality even with spending a significant amount of time right initially preparing it for the long haul. It's sad that I don't have any swirls in my black paint with a car that I leave outside 24/7 but the front end is so cratered and chipped I can't stand to even look at it. I gave up after the first month of ownership, it was a losing battle.
that sucks, sounds like the best bet is to get the 3m clear protective stuff from day one at least on the front...how did that ceramic treatment work out, ive seen all the videos but i have never seen anyone who has a daily driver with it on.

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
that sucks, sounds like the best bet is to get the 3m clear protective stuff from day one at least on the front...how did that ceramic treatment work out, ive seen all the videos but i have never seen anyone who has a daily driver with it on.
It works well enough. I have a black car that I keep outdoors, uncovered 24/7, I know it's a losing battle. I do what I can to keep it looking clean enough though. I used the Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Coating, I was very pleased with it. I applied it in September 2016. I touched it up with Carpro Essene Plus, which is a ceramic coating jeweling product that contains a filler, in spring. I was really happy with that as well and will probably use it again in fall before the winter. I coated my mother's car as well, she has a white Hyundai something and it seems to be holding up. I just washed her car then ran a clay bar over it before applying it. I just wash it every few months and dry it with optimum wash and wax and it looks pretty slick.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It works well enough. I have a black car that I keep outdoors, uncovered 24/7, I know it's a losing battle. I do what I can to keep it looking clean enough though. I used the Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Coating, I was very pleased with it. I applied it in September 2016. I touched it up with Carpro Essene Plus, which is a ceramic coating jeweling product that contains a filler, in spring. I was really happy with that as well and will probably use it again in fall before the winter. I coated my mother's car as well, she has a white Hyundai something and it seems to be holding up. I just washed her car then ran a clay bar over it before applying it. I just wash it every few months and dry it with optimum wash and wax and it looks pretty slick.
Thanks ill take a look at those products...the rest of my paint is pretty good so eventually it might be worth having someone paint my front clip. THANKS!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts