Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen a few threads here and there, but nothing specific to my issue (apologies if there is one and I missed it).

In the last two to three months, my 2013 ST has been into the dealer three times for a front end popping noise. The first time they replaced the RF strut bearing. The second time they replaced the RF strut bearing, the RF strut, and the RF tie rod. The third time they replaced the RF strut bearing. Each time the noise would go away for a week and then come back. The noise just came back today and frankly I am tired of taking it to the dealership to have the problem go away and then come back a week later.

I should note that I had this same issue within the first year of ownership, but the dealer did a TSB for front end noise. I believe it was essentially just lubricating part of the front end. This seemed to resolve the issue for a year or so.

Anyone have a similar issue? Any suggestions on how to fix it?

If I don't come up with anything, I guess it will go back to Ford again... I was really hoping to avoid that as they have had my car for over a week in the last couple of months and I am getting tired of not having my car.

Reactions: jalapeno

· Registered
1,650 Posts
When does it make the noise? Can you feel it in the wheel?

· Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
When does it make the noise? Can you feel it in the wheel?
Cannot feel it in the wheel. Can hear it when outside the car or with the windows down. Noise is mostly on tight low speed turns. I generally hear it pulling into my garage (which is at a sharp angle from my driveway).

· Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Make sure the top nut is tight on the shock and loctite it there. I changed my strut bearings twice thinking they were failing, but it was just that nut loosening.
Thanks for the advice. I will check that.

· Registered
1,591 Posts
I'll have to get a video of it but I' have a noise in my RF strut area, which is driving me batty. It isn't a pop or clunk like the TSB suggests though. It is more of a rubbing noise and in fact at first I thought my tire was contacting something in the wheel wheel. It only does it when I'm turning the wheel and it only happens in one direction of rotation, and it will do it whether the car is on or off although obviously with it off I have to put effort in it. The rub sound vibrates the whole right side of the car, to the point where if I pop the passenger door open I can FEEL the rubbing or whatever it is by touching the metal around the door frame and I can feel it through my fingertips.

It is freaking pissing me off for sure.

· Registered
64 Posts
I might be wrong but this seems to be top nut.
At least that was the symptom i had when I went to b8/mountune springs. The mechanic who installed it said they tighten the top nut. Went to another shop, he tried to isolate the noise by isolating each part and came to the conclusion that the top nut is the issue.
Well, I tighten the top nut and the noise is gone now!!
I wish the top nut would be exposed without having to completely remove the struts. I know that some people drill a hole.

· Registered
54 Posts
Dude, I'm having the same issue for my 14 as well and the thing only have about 13k mile and under 1 year old all stock. It's going back to the dealer again next Monday. This is the 3rd time going back within 2 months. They pretty much replaced both front struts and bearings and is still not resolve. The worst part is, the car was just at the dealer last Tuesday and the noise came back the day I got the car back with less than 100 miles after the "repair". I'm getting really annoy by this. Might have to file a lemon if the 3rd time won't get fix.

· Registered
182 Posts
I think I'm having the same issues all of you are. The car has been in three times now for strut bearing noise; two of which resulted in new bearings on both sides. That seemed to fix the issue for awhile, but then it returns. The last time I took the car in, they couldn't replicate it, as it doesn't pop and clunk all the time. It mostly shows up on days that have wide swings in temperature or weather. My warranty expires at the end of the month, but fortunately I was able to catch a video of it at its worst earlier this week, sent it to my service adviser, and now have an appointment to drop it off tonight if I am able to get my truck back from the shop due to a stubborn leak from the rear pinion seal. Below is a link to the short video I was able to get:

It doesn't make sense that the strut bearings are so fragile they fail every 4-6 months, so the theory about the nut on top of the shock loosening up and causing the clunk sounds much more plausible. I'll mention it to my service adviser and ask him if they can use Loctite on it this go-around. My friend's ST gets a lot more miles and abuse than mine and it has never had the problem show up.

· Registered
8 Posts
Mine has been doing that for the past 20k and the dealership can never hear it or so they say. Now im getting a single sharp clunk under hard turning at speed and slow sharp turns. Wondering if they are the same issue just progressed?

· Registered
11 Posts
An easy way to check your strut bearings is to get a buddy, raise the front end, reach in and grab your spring while your buddy turns the wheel back and forth slowly. You will be able to feel the binding in the spring if you have a bad upper bearing.

This is coming from a Volvo tech with over 10 years experience. I change these almost on a daily basis.

You can probably remove the wiper cowl and lube it from the top though this would just be a bandaid.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts