1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
11,899 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, i changed my OEM rotors at 60,000 miles and they were worn but did not split like this.
It happen on the road. I was stopped at a red light. The light turned green, I started moving and a loud grinding noise started. Tried to stop and the brake pedal went to the floor.

I'm lucky I wasn't going fast, because I had no braking power.

I'm trying to figure out if I'm the first or if it's a common problem on 2013 ST's.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, witch robot forgot to weld Plate 2Z-215534??? Jonny 5 i'm looking in youre direction....agian.:crazy:

Srsly, glad you weren't going fast, How did the E brake feel when pulling it? normal?
E brake work via a cable and felt normal. No way it could have stop me fast enough on the highway but it still had bite.

Now I've got new brake disk and pad on all corner. I should be good for another 60k km hahaha

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
That's a first in my book as well!

All I can speculate is that the outer pad became contaminated so wasn't able to generate a lot of braking force. That would leave the inside pad doing most of the gripping.

In that case, there would be a lot of rotational torque applied against the nubbies that hold the two halves of the disk together. Eventually, they failed.

Glad it happened the way it did though, and not as you were braking off the highway for a 30mph exit ramp!

All the best,
Mark

P.S. I changed the rotors on the 2013 at about 57K, and they had nowhere near the rust that your have. But, to be fair, even though the car is dailied through Maine winters, it is parked indoors overnight.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Changed the stock rotors on my 2013 at 80k. Never had this problem and didn't have as much rust. Definitely weird.

Edit: Also, to note, my car is parked outdoors daily. The only rust I would get on the rotors would be your normal surface rust.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts