Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To All,

So back in December I bumped a curb in the snow going about 10MPH, and I messed up the right side of my suspension. Well, I just dropped my car off to have the fuel canister replaced because it was having vacuum issues, and have the rotors replaced. Come to find out there was an issue with the left side of the suspension as well, and the control arm had to be replaced, so the shop replaced the control arm and did an alignment. So after the work was done my car doesn't drive the same and the steering feels twitchy and I'm constantly having to make corrections while driving. When the first shop repaired the suspension after bumping the curb they replaced the right lower control arm with an aluminum aftermarket part and I'm wondering if that is causing the issue, or maybe one of the bushings is wearing out, but as I said, the steering doesn't feel right. Don't get me wrong, the car drives straight, but something is still wrong, and the 2nd shop looked it over again and said that they couldn't find anything wrong with it.

So what I want to do is replace both of the control arms with an upgraded/aftermarket part of the same brand and see if that helps things. I've searched the web, but I'm unsure of what parts to order, so if anyone can provide a link where I can purchase the parts it would be greatly appreciated. I'm cautious when it comes to buying parts for my 2014 Focus ST, I bought a set of brake rotors only to find out that they were the wrong size, I tried going to Ford and again they were the wrong size, so I wanted to get some help from people that probably know the parts better. Any help would be greatly appreciated, but the car is completely stock, but I'm going to start upgrading all of the suspension over the next few months.

Thank you all,

SeaBass

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I don't think a non-oem control arm would affect the feel of the steering as long as the geometry is the same. I say there is a problem with the alignment.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had the alignment worked out, the front drivers side was -0.8 out, and put back to stock numbers. After the parts were changed out, and the alignment was done is when I started having the issues with the steering. It's a weird issue too, I can be driving straight and turn slightly to the left the steering feels very tight, but as I turn back to the right I feel a quick twitch as if a bushing or something is off with the steering. The shop that worked on my car said that they didn't notice it when they test drove it, but I don't believe they took it out on the highway either. It's a really strange issue that I have never had with any of the cars I've owned. I just want to get it figured out, because as the only driver of the car and having 130K+ miles on the car I can tell something is definitely off. I may put it up on some jack stands this weekend and see if I notice any play in the front wheels, it feels like it's on the right side, so that's where I'll start. I'm just annoyed that I have a completely different control arm on one side then what was on there stock, that's why I refuse to go back to the original shop that I took it too, because they didn't even call me about to say that it was different than stock. So if anyone has a part number for the original lower control arm on a 2014 Focus ST, it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Take a look at your tie rods. One could be adjusted out way more than the other- in other words what your looking for is the threaded length differences between the left and right side. I would maybe get another shop to look at the alignment to verify it is indeed correct and maybe have someone else peek underneath for any damage that could have been missed by your shop.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
As DanM says, definitely check your tie rods for wear and for proper adjustment left-right. The inner joint is more prone to wear than the outer I am told.

For my 2013, there was a TSB I had applied where the electronics in the steering rack are reprogrammed to eliminate twitchiness. After the reprogramming, the car didn't hunt as much going over concrete highway dividers nor did the car dart as much on initial steering turn in.

Hope that helps,
Mark

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll have to look for my results from the alignment shop. Because I was driving it around for several months and it felt fine, but when I dropped my car my shop sent me pictures of my tires and the inner side of the tread was worn down almost showing cable, but the whole time it drove straight and the steering felt solid, I didn't notice an issue. I took my car to the shop to have the brake rotors and pads replaced since I don't have the rear brake tool and this is when the shop noticed the issue and called me about it. They took the car to the alignment shop, who is pretty reputable in the area, and they were able to correct 3 sides into 100% OEM specs, the passenger side front, where I have that suspect control arm was still a -0.2 out of spec and they couldn't get it back into OEM specs because of the lack of adjustability, that's why I'm thinking it may be that control arm.

I'll go ahead and check my tie rods and see what they look like, I'm going to check my bushings as well. It's frustrating and I don't like driving a car that doesn't feel right, it doesn't feel like my car anymore, and as a car lover it pisses me off.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Did you ever solve this issue? My 2016 Focus ST got hit by a bus a few months ago and the body shop replaced a bent tie rod end, and I'm suffering from the exact same issue that you described. It's so frustrating, and 3 different body shops can't figure it out (including the Ford dealer). I had it aligned twice from the same shop, but at this point, I don't know what to do. Either my car is still misaligned, or there's other damage that nobody has found.

And I agree, it doesn't feel like my car anymore and it's almost enough for me to sell the car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I am still having the issue and I still have the same aluminum lower control arm. I am looking for the OEM part number to the factory lower control arms so that I can order a factory replacement and see if that clears the issue up.

However, I did peep out some Mevotech Terrain Tough lower control arms and may give those a shot.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
So I am still having the issue and I still have the same aluminum lower control arm. I am looking for the OEM part number to the factory lower control arms so that I can order a factory replacement and see if that clears the issue up.

However, I did peep out some Mevotech Terrain Tough lower control arms and may give those a shot.

I was under the impression that the ST's control arms are supposed to be steel. The aluminum ones are for the non ST focuses.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I need to replace my control arms very soon and I wanted to see if anyone had some info on different options. But since I work at a body shop I'm thinking of just going OEM. Gonna give Ford a call on Monday and I'll help you out with a part number on these, if you're still looking for it.

·
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
3,460 Posts
I need to replace my control arms very soon and I wanted to see if anyone had some info on different options. But since I work at a body shop I'm thinking of just going OEM. Gonna give Ford a call on Monday and I'll help you out with a part number on these, if you're still looking for it.
I had a bad balljoint on mine, i tried an aftermarket arm but when it showed up it had a conventional taper seat balljoint with the threads at the end for a nut. Our cars (at least the north American versions) have a straight shaft balljoint post that is squeezed into the knuckle with a pinch bolt.
Needless to say I had to return it and buy an OEM arm.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Got the part number on those lower control arms. F1FZ3078A & F1FZ3079A. Mine is a 2014. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I bought the aluminum Moog control arms and have no installed them yet. Hopefully OP posts up if switching control arms changes their situation. @SeaBass1944

·
Registered
595 Posts
Still waiting on my LSD to come from OS Giken in japan D: once i get it i will change all that stuff out at once.

·
Registered
2013 Ford Focus ST1
1,660 Posts
The non ST Focus has different lower control arms from the ST. Assuming this is a geometry-related difference it could (at least in part) explain what is going on here.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts