Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is probably to late for me, since i already drove it off the lot, but are there any common issues that buyers should be aware of or try and get corrected?

Stuff i have noticed so far at 5000 miles:

right-side drivers floor mat retainer coming away from carpet
trunk cover lift rope retainers fall out and generally suck
carpet already wearing on the raised portion towards the seat on the left of the drivers seat
huge gap between the glove box and the dash
mega cheap wiper blades (no big deal)
worst rotors ever, not sure if they are even made of metal.

·
Super Moderator
9,547 Posts
It is probably to late for me, since i already drove it off the lot, but are there any common issues that buyers should be aware of or try and get corrected?

carpet already wearing on the raised portion towards the seat on the left of the drivers seat
I have a 2013 built on 9/11/12 with 43,000 miles and still running the original rotors and wiper blades. It rained a bunch this week and they still perform flawlessly. The brakes are just about ready to be changed though and I have all 4 rotors and pads waiting to go on. Maybe these parts on newer cars are of poorer quality.

·
Registered
825 Posts
"Cosmetic" issues should be addressed BEFORE you sign the papers.
NO amount of promises should be accepted that 'after' they will fix stuff cosmetically.
(unless you are friends with the owner maybe)
So you before signing. even if it is in the finace office. DEMAND to inspect the car. and do so with a careful eye. In broad daylight.
(Too many folks glace at the car, in the dark.. LOL)
Once you 'own' the car.. it is way way harder to get a dealer to fix cosmentic issues.

Even though you have NOT driven it off the lot.

Once you drive it off the lot.. It becomes no way in Hell.

What I have noticed, is small town dealers work a lot harder to have all the cars be perfect.
IE doors line up, and small blemishes fixed prior to being for sale.
Big city dealers do nothing.

As for why cars have this stuff?
Time and a moving conveyor line..
Each guy has xxx seconds to finish the small job assigned. If he has to scratch his crotch. take a gulp of water,
YOUR xxx is not gonna be done right. If he and his partner are shooting the breeze... etc. Also go ahead a try to do that sort of work. Spend several hours straight standing in one place sticking a widgit A in spot B and the four screws. Redo this 100,000 times..
Sure they get paid. But can YOU do it?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
"Cosmetic" issues should be addressed BEFORE you sign the papers.
NO amount of promises should be accepted that 'after' they will fix stuff cosmetically.
(unless you are friends with the owner maybe)
So you before signing. even if it is in the finace office. DEMAND to inspect the car. and do so with a careful eye. In broad daylight.
(Too many folks glace at the car, in the dark.. LOL)
Once you 'own' the car.. it is way way harder to get a dealer to fix cosmentic issues.

Even though you have NOT driven it off the lot.

Once you drive it off the lot.. It becomes no way in Hell.

What I have noticed, is small town dealers work a lot harder to have all the cars be perfect.
IE doors line up, and small blemishes fixed prior to being for sale.
Big city dealers do nothing.

As for why cars have this stuff?
Time and a moving conveyor line..
Each guy has xxx seconds to finish the small job assigned. If he has to scratch his crotch. take a gulp of water,
YOUR xxx is not gonna be done right. If he and his partner are shooting the breeze... etc. Also go ahead a try to do that sort of work. Spend several hours straight standing in one place sticking a widgit A in spot B and the four screws. Redo this 100,000 times..
Sure they get paid. But can YOU do it?
If it's a 2017 then this stuff will all be fixed under warranty and none of what you said pertains to him lol he can drive it off the lot and come back the next day and get it all fixed and if they refuse and they are a Ford dealership then you can take it straight to corporate or go to another Ford dealer who HAS to fix the problems under the bumper to bumper warranty.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Only gripe with my 16 is the front fender liners popping outside of the fenders... Dealer that thing boss.
Mine does it too super annoying lol non-warranty-able for me since I have a 14. Grr.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Only gripe with my 16 is the front fender liners popping outside of the fenders... Dealer that thing boss.
I noticed the same thing on my car before I purchased it...only on the right side though. It was installed incorrectly. They fixed it before I left with it.

Reactions: oVrKiLL

·
Registered
98 Posts

Yikes! Sounds like you got a dud. This is the first time I’ve heard any complaints about the rotors which are actually upgraded over the 13’ and early 14’ MY cars. Remember that it’s a street car; not a track car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will for sure be getting some husky liners, but the whole carpet is pulling up where the retainers is, so need to get that addressed.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I ran my 2013 ST3 116,00 miles with not a single mechanical issue. Just brakes, tires, and oil changes. Not one penny of repair money at all. Wait that's not true. Had to replace two lug nuts due to notorious swelling problem from ford. It did have plenty of fit and finish type issues which led me to not want another Ford. This was my second. My first new car was a Ford Probe which was a disaster inside and out.
Overall Very happy with my ST, but have moved on to something else now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts