Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Everyone,

I wanted to provide a little bit of information about my experience working with Justin to dyno tune my 2015 ST.

Originally I had a flash tune from Stratified. I was happy enough with the experience and product, but after doing some additional research on tuners for our platform I learned about Freektune. Everyone that had worked with Justin seemed to be thrilled with the product and support. When I realized that he offered dyno tuning services and was only 1 1/2 hours north of me, my decision was made. I began corresponding with Justin back in December. I submitted a down payment for the dyno time and he sent me a base tune within a couple of days. I much preferred the way my car performed on the Freektune base map over the Stratified flash tune. This is my subjective opinion, and doesn't say anything about the quality/safety of the other tune. I drove on the base tune all of January before making the trip to Freektune on 2/4/18.

During the month between receiving the base tune and my dyno appointment, Justin and I corresponded on multiple occasions. He always answered my questions and was incredibly flexible with me. I had a death in the family that threatened to make me reschedule my appointment. He offered condolences and promised to find time to help me out if that happened. Thankfully I was able to keep my appointment.

When I got to the shop he welcomed me with a smile and genuinely seemed happy to have me there. We chatted about the Pat's loss in the Super Bowl (Hurts like hell!), cars, etc. He is a great guy and is easy to talk with. He explained to me the process and allowed me to hang around during the tuning process. We did a total of ten pulls over a couple of hours to get my car dialed in. It really was awesome.

You can see the dynochart comparing the Freektune base map to the final map revision after the tuning process. Pretty impressive gains all around and the car feels great.

I gotta be honest...the whole experience was fantastic and Justin is a stand up guy. I look forward to continuing the relationship into the future.

Regards,

Brad

93 Octane map (modifications in signature)
Blue = base Freektune map
Red = final map revision

Brad Focus ST.PNG

IMG_20180205_105151556.jpg

Edit:. Changed "OTS" to "flash" for accuracy.

·
Super Moderator
8,073 Posts
Nice!

Only thing I want to mention is that there is no such thing as a Stratified "OTS" tune. An "Off The Shelf" tune is a generic tune that isn't customized at all for a specific car. Stratified sends you a flash tune which is customized specifically for your exact mods and even takes into account different brands (intercoolers and stuff for example). It's considerably more customized than an OTS tune :)

I know that term gets thrown around a lot, but only the Cobb maps that come WITH the accessport are considered OTS tunes...which is why they suck so badly. :p

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@brian60 agreed. Probably makes more sense to simply call it a base tune.

·
Super Moderator
8,073 Posts
@brian60 agreed. Probably makes more sense to simply call it a base tune.
If you're talking about Stratified's tune...it's still called a "flash tune" lol. That's the "official" name for that type of tune. It's a customized and highly adjustable file they email you. OTS is just a pre-built uncustomizable tune. I would call the OTS tune that base tune if anything. Unless that's what you are talking about :lol:

Edit: Stratified and most other tuner's "custom tune" is also a flash tune. It's the same as the normal flash tune only they keep making adjustments based on datalogs. They get pretty damn close to the same results as a dyno tune usually

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Exactly it was the flash.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Glad to hear the experience. I went with Justin for my very first tune and was not disappointed at all. Great dude.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Im just curious when you say you preferred the way the Freektune "performed", what do you mean exactly? I just am curious since you have gotten a chance to drive both tune setups if you can describe the differences please.

·
Vendor
104 Posts
Thanks for the kind words and glad to see you enjoyed Justin’s tune!

I know you wrote this back in February, neither of us got the email update for the forum, and we aren’t on here often lol.

At anyrate glad you loved the tune! Still doing good for you?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts